AWD gone in 2005?

Old February 12th 05, 08:05 PM
Foon

Default AWD gone in 2005?

I was reading in some Consumer Buying Guide that AWD has been discontinued in
the 2005 models. Does anyone know why? I have it in my 2003 XLT and it has
performed flawlessly in deep soft sand at Cape Hatteras and in fairly deep snow
the last two winters. I'm just wondering if Ford discovered something inherently
wrong with the engineering or that it was not as big a marketing plus as they
thought it would be?

-Foon

Old February 12th 05, 09:58 PM
Jim Weibel

it may be gone in the explorers but ford is offeringAWD in the ford 500, the
new montego and in the monterey so i hardly think there was some inherent
flaw. i.m with you, i have it in my 99mountaineer and i love it in the
buffalo, ny winters!
..

Old February 12th 05, 10:32 PM
D.D. Palmer

I doubt that is true. If so, they wouldn't sell one vehicle here in the
northeast/snowbelt. Not one. 2WD Explorers don't even exist up here. Period.

Old February 12th 05, 11:04 PM
Jim Warman

Quite the opposite... all wheel drive is showing up on more models than ever
including the 500 and (IIRC) the Freestar.

Old February 12th 05, 11:13 PM
Andrew Smith

"Foon" > wrote in message
>I was reading in some Consumer Buying Guide that AWD has been discontinued
>in
> the 2005 models. Does anyone know why? I have it in my 2003 XLT and it has
> performed flawlessly in deep soft sand at Cape Hatteras and in fairly deep
> snow
> the last two winters. I'm just wondering if Ford discovered something
> inherently
> wrong with the engineering or that it was not as big a marketing plus as
> they
> thought it would be?
>
> -Foon

Foontonio Foonarelli!

What you need is an F250 Crew Cab Long Bed. Then you'll have room for
boards...inside.

a.

Old February 13th 05, 02:50 AM
Foon

>I doubt that is true. If so, they wouldn't sell one vehicle here in the
>northeast/snowbelt. Not one. 2WD Explorers don't even exist up here. Period.

Perhaps I should have differentiated between All Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Drive.
The AWD I have is engaged at all times. There are no dash buttons to choose the
type of 4WD option you need. Power in AWD is directed to the rear wheels on
standard surfaces. If the rear wheels begin to slip or cannot move the vehicle
forward, power is automatically directed to front wheels to compensate. You can
gear down for more power using the shift lever. It even gets more complicated if
wheels slip on different sides I understand. I snooped on the official 2005 Ford
Explorer site for my model XLT and found no mention of an AWD option. Has anyone
even seen a 2005 with that feature?

-Foon

Old February 13th 05, 02:53 AM
Foon

Andrew Smith says...

>Foontonio Foonarelli!
>
>What you need is an F250 Crew Cab Long Bed. Then you'll have room for
>boards...inside.

Hi Andy. I owned trucks for a few years back in the 70s but found the comfort
factor lacking. Besides, my boards are only 43 inches long these days.
Mahalo.
=Foon

Old February 15th 05, 02:45 AM
D.D. Palmer

I believe that the Mountaineer ONLY has AWD or 2WD, but not 4WD even as an
option.

Old February 15th 05, 02:15 PM
C. E. White

"D.D. Palmer" wrote:

> I doubt that is true. If so, they wouldn't sell one vehicle here in the
> northeast/snowbelt. Not one. 2WD Explorers don't even exist up here. Period.

In prior years Ford offered 3 types of Explorer drive
systems - 2WD, AWD, and A4WD. The AWD is gone. A4WD (aka
ControlTrac) is still with us. The AWD system was a full
time all wheel drive system that did not include a low
range. The A4WD (Automatic 4 Wheel Drive) system is a more
traditional 4 WD system with an electrically operated clutch
in the transfer case that engages when slip is detected. It
includes a low range.

Regards,

Ed White
Old February 15th 05, 02:18 PM
C. E. White

Foon wrote:

> >I doubt that is true. If so, they wouldn't sell one vehicle here in the
> >northeast/snowbelt. Not one. 2WD Explorers don't even exist up here. Period.

> Perhaps I should have differentiated between All Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Drive.
> The AWD I have is engaged at all times. There are no dash buttons to choose the
> type of 4WD option you need. Power in AWD is directed to the rear wheels on
> standard surfaces. If the rear wheels begin to slip or cannot move the vehicle
> forward, power is automatically directed to front wheels to compensate. You can
> gear down for more power using the shift lever. It even gets more complicated if
> wheels slip on different sides I understand. I snooped on the official 2005 Ford
> Explorer site for my model XLT and found no mention of an AWD option. Has anyone
> even seen a 2005 with that feature?

The AWD version is not mentioned in the '05 Explorer
ordering guide. so I assume it is gone. Persoanlly, I prefer
the A4WD system. I imagine Ford decided that people who
wanted AWD might be condidates for the Freestyle. BTW, my
Father just bought a Freestyle and it is very nice.

Ed

2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle Audi 36 February 22nd 05 03:32 PM
2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle BMW 34 February 22nd 05 03:32 PM
2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 08:35 PM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM