Raged motorist strikes two cyclists

Old September 4th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

Default Raged motorist strikes two cyclists

In article >,
Jim Yanik > wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

>> Bicycling is NOT very dangerous. It does us no good to pretend it is.
>>

>"danger" is the *possibility* of something bad happening,not the actual
>rates at the moment.
>
>the potential exists despite your denying it.

That's a strawman. Frank didn't say bicycling isn't dangerous. He
said it wasn't "very" dangerous.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 4th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article . com>,
Woody Brison > wrote:

>That depends on the situation. In orbit, it's zero.
>During launch it could be several tons. What you
>really want to know is my mass. Believe it or not,
>I've known ROCKET SCIENTISTS to get that confused.

Because the term "weight" refers to mass in most contexts, and always
has. A balance scale measures mass. The contexts in which it does
not (e.g. when talking about "weight transfer" during braking or
acceleration) are the unusual ones. In the case of one's body weight,
it's mass being referred to.

The Physics 101 claim that "weight" refers only to force just isn't
true, except perhaps Physics 101 textbook problems.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 4th 07, 06:43 PM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>There's a good chance that's another statement from ignorance. My
>club's insurance does not require helmets. Granted, his club is in a
>different state, and perhaps every insurance company licensed in his
>state does require helmets, but it's rather unlikely. The League of
>American Bicyclists' event insurance is available in every state,
>AFAIK, and it does not require helmets.

The "insurance requires it" line is common among control freaks
because it's credible, it's sometimes true, and because there's no way
of disproving it unless you're on the board of the organization making
the claim.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 4th 07, 09:32 PM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
SMS

Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
> In article . com>,
> > wrote:
>> There's a good chance that's another statement from ignorance. My
>> club's insurance does not require helmets. Granted, his club is in a
>> different state, and perhaps every insurance company licensed in his
>> state does require helmets, but it's rather unlikely. The League of
>> American Bicyclists' event insurance is available in every state,
>> AFAIK, and it does not require helmets.

> The "insurance requires it" line is common among control freaks
> because it's credible, it's sometimes true, and because there's no way
> of disproving it unless you're on the board of the organization making
> the claim.

Hey, we fought the mandatory helmet requirement in my club for years,
and I was one of the ride leaders that said I would stop leading rides
if it was implemented. Eventually it came down to a choice of requiring
helmets or shutting the club down for lack of liability insurance. That
said, during the long arguments at club meetings over the issue, we
always took the personal freedom approach. Trying to deny that you're
better off hitting your head without a helmet than with a helmet is an
argument that none of us would have dreamed of bringing up, but our club
is mainly made up of engineering types that understand risk analysis.

Old September 5th 07, 11:06 PM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Dane Buson

"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" > wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> On Aug 18, 10:43 pm, (Brent P)
>> wrote:
>>> The kicking story is most likely BS. any sound kick to car would cause a
>>> lateral force that could likely result in the bicyclist falling.

>> Never underestimate gyroscopic force's ability to keep a cyclist
>> upright.

> The gyroscopic forces are minimal - basically enough to allow hands-off
> riding on reasonably decent pavement (assuming appropriate bicycle
> geometry) but no more than that.
>
> Besides, a mounted cyclist is not in a position to effectively kick
> anything.

Well, some people do better at this than others...

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuv...cross_kick.jpg

--
Dane Buson -
The world is your exercise-book, the pages on which you do your sums.

About pedal cyclists. Eeyore Driving 13 February 8th 07 08:44 AM
Calif. motorist dies in apparent car chase 666 Driving 18 June 11th 06 10:04 PM
Another motorist shot in random shooting Garth Almgren Driving 1 June 2nd 06 06:29 AM
Motorist fined $351 for dummy in car-pool lane Jim Yanik Driving 9 November 8th 05 02:22 AM