removing 93 caravan rear drums

Old January 18th 05, 02:23 AM
Steve

Default removing 93 caravan rear drums

can anyone here give me a heads up on removing the rear drums on a 93
caravan?

the last time I tried to remove the drums I couldn't get them off. I
pounded and pounded and pounded on them and they wouldn't budge. A friend
told me today however, that I am supposed to remove the dust cap take the
cotter pin out and remove the nut. From there the rear drums should just
pop off.

Is this true?

Also what is involved in repacking the rear wheel bearings? Is it hard? Do
the fronts have wheel bearings too?

Thanks a million

Old January 18th 05, 03:38 PM
Bob Shuman

There are some (approximately 1-1.5 inch long oblong) rubber dust caps on
the back side (axle side) of the drums. Remove these by prying them out with
a small screw driver. This will provide access to the rear drum brake
adjusters. You need to loosen the adjustment using a brake adjuster tool or
a small flat blade screwdriver. Once done, the brake drum should pull off
easily, especially if you have been pounding on them and loosened all the
rust.

Good luck!

Bob

Old January 18th 05, 07:10 PM
SN

Steve wrote:
> can anyone here give me a heads up on removing the rear drums on a 93
> caravan?
>
> the last time I tried to remove the drums I couldn't get them off. I
> pounded and pounded and pounded on them and they wouldn't budge. A friend
> told me today however, that I am supposed to remove the dust cap take the
> cotter pin out and remove the nut. From there the rear drums should just
> pop off.
>
> Is this true?

Yes, it's true. You might have to back the adjusters off if the drum
doesn't readily come off once you have removed the cotter pin and nut.

> Also what is involved in repacking the rear wheel bearings? Is it hard? Do
> the fronts have wheel bearings too?

The rear wheel bearings are easy to re-pack. The front wheel bearings
are sealed bearings and not intended to be re-packed.