AI Fix for rFactor

Old September 4th 05, 07:30 AM
Steve Whitty

Default AI Fix for rFactor

grabbed this from the forums
cheers
steve
http://forum.rscnet.org/showpost.php...62&postcount=6

Hi, I'm Mike Z, the ai programmer for rFactor. Just wanted to drop in, and
let you all know I am reading the boards, even if I don't respond everyday.
Looks like a couple of bugs, combined with my attempt to make like-model
races more competitive is resulting in a little more contact that I
intended. Here's a couple of things you can do to cut down on the amount of
bad touching:

race against cars of the same upgrade level as you. There's a bug right now
were if a car can out accelerate you, he may initiate a pass at
inappropriate times. Once a pass is initiated, he may find himself out of
control, out of road, or both and that could often result in rear ending
you.

Find a skill level of ai that you are competitive against and race against
that skill level. We all have seen the havoc that can happen on a racetrack
when somebody brakes early while traveling at the speeds these cars travel
at. Not only do reaction times come into effect, but often times, a car is
already at the very limit of what his tires can take, and any unexpected
jerking is liable to send him skidding.

It doesn't hurt to play with the AI aggression at 0%. Among other things, it
slightly increases the default follow distance and passing leeway.

Somebody complained about unnatural bunching up of cars. There is a
playerfile variable
AI Limiter="1.00000"
set that to
AI Limiter="0.0000"that will prevent cars from going through various up and
down cycles (good laps and bad laps) during a race, make every driver more
consistent according to his skill level, and hopefully spread the field out
a little more.

In the mean time, I'll continue to look into the problems. Please post
replays or video files of suspect behavior. Yes there are bugs, but I find
most of the time I get hit, it's because I did something wrong