batt power, dash assembly, where to get info

Old January 21st 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
njem

Default batt power, dash assembly, where to get info

I recently bought a 2000 civic and have a number of questions. I'm
wondering if there's a good source of info other than just pestering
people here with them all. Such as:

I want some source of battery power that doesn't go off with the key.
Is there any under the dash? In the trunk? Or do I have to find a way
thru the firewall?

I want to take the radio out and the center console to cut in my own
power outlets and see if the stereo has any way to feed in an external
source (mp3 player). How does the radio come out? Can the front half
of the center console come out without taking the whole back half out.
In other words what's the disassembly sequence for this stuff?

Fasten to the roof of the trunk under the back dash is some
electronics box. What's that?

Any good sources of info to find this kind of info?

Thanks

Also posted to alt.autos.honda
Old January 21st 09, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
News

njem wrote:
> I recently bought a 2000 civic and have a number of questions. I'm
> wondering if there's a good source of info other than just pestering
> people here with them all. Such as:
>
> I want some source of battery power that doesn't go off with the key.
> Is there any under the dash? In the trunk? Or do I have to find a way
> thru the firewall?
>
> I want to take the radio out and the center console to cut in my own
> power outlets and see if the stereo has any way to feed in an external
> source (mp3 player). How does the radio come out? Can the front half
> of the center console come out without taking the whole back half out.
> In other words what's the disassembly sequence for this stuff?
>
> Fasten to the roof of the trunk under the back dash is some
> electronics box. What's that?
>
> Any good sources of info to find this kind of info?
>
> Thanks
>
> Also posted to alt.autos.honda

Get yourself a Helm manual.
Old January 21st 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E. Meyer

On 1/20/09 9:58 PM, in article
, "njem"
> wrote:

> I recently bought a 2000 civic and have a number of questions. I'm
> wondering if there's a good source of info other than just pestering
> people here with them all. Such as:
>
> I want some source of battery power that doesn't go off with the key.
> Is there any under the dash? In the trunk? Or do I have to find a way
> thru the firewall?

On my 2000 TL, there was an equal rated, always hot, unused fuse immediately
adjacent to the radio fuse. All that needed to be done was to pop out the
wire and plug it in to the other fuse's output side. You may have something
similar available to you. You will need the factory service manual, or
better yet, the wiring manual. Get them at helminc.com

Old January 22nd 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
njem

> On my 2000 TL, there was an equal rated, always hot, unused fuse immediately

Thanks. I'll check for that.
Old January 22nd 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
njem

> Get yourself a Helm manual.

Wow. Not cheap. I'll have to save up some lunch money and get one.
Will it show things like what dash pieces fit over each other so you
know what you really need to take out? I'm looking at the band of
plastic above the center floor console and below the radio, and it
looks like I have to take the glove box out to get to some of it, and
the glove box screws I can see are big braces inside above it. The
typical scenario where it's like a puzzle. I'm probably missing
something simple and a "take this piece off first then that piece"
guide would save a lot of trouble. A lot of time these small exploded
views don't really tell you. Are they worthwhile for that sort of
thing?

Thanks.
Old January 22nd 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
News

njem wrote:
>> Get yourself a Helm manual.

> Wow. Not cheap. I'll have to save up some lunch money and get one.
> Will it show things like what dash pieces fit over each other so you
> know what you really need to take out? I'm looking at the band of
> plastic above the center floor console and below the radio, and it
> looks like I have to take the glove box out to get to some of it, and
> the glove box screws I can see are big braces inside above it. The
> typical scenario where it's like a puzzle. I'm probably missing
> something simple and a "take this piece off first then that piece"
> guide would save a lot of trouble. A lot of time these small exploded
> views don't really tell you. Are they worthwhile for that sort of
> thing?
>
> Thanks.

Exactly.
Old January 22nd 09, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_2_]

njem > wrote in news:035240ef-fff3-4f12-a60f-c69faeb20b72@
40g2000prx.googlegroups.com:

>> Get yourself a Helm manual.

> Wow. Not cheap.

Try auction sites. They are a lot cheaper.

> I'll have to save up some lunch money and get one.
> Will it show things like what dash pieces fit over each other so you
> know what you really need to take out?

It shows you EVERYTHING; interior trim disassembly, wiring diagrams and
all. You could take the entire car apart and put it back together using
only the Helm manual. The book is worth its weight in gold.

I would personally not dream of owning and servicing a Honda without
purchasing the Helm manual.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ