Toyota Take Aim At The Detroit 3

Old December 11th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Toyota Take Aim At The Detroit 3

Through the digital grape vine we came across an article on MSNBC that
rehashes the impending battle between Ford, Chevy and Toyota on the
full-size pickup front. We've heard this story before, hell, we've told
this story before, but what caught our eye was close to the end of the
article when MSNSB Business Editor Roland Jones tells us that the 2007
Toyota Tundra's top engine, the i-Force 5.7-liter V8, will produce 381
horsepower. Wow! We've been trying to get that info out of Toyota since
the Chicago auto show back in February, and Roland just lets it roll of
the tongue like he were quoting rear-seat leg room. Unfortunately no
torque numbers were mentioned, though we're far from sure this number
is accurate anyway.

If it is, the Tundra will have a significantly more powerful large V8
to offer customers than will Ford, Dodge or Chevy. The F-150 offers the
5.4-liter Triton V8 that produces 300 hp and 365 ft-lbs. of torque,
while the Dodge RAM can be had with a 5.7-liter HEMI V8 producing 345
hp and 375 ft-lbs. of torque. Toyota, however, would clearly be aiming
at Chevy if this number is accurate, as the Silverado's Vortec MAX
6.0-liter V8 produces 367 hp and 375 ft-lbs. of torque. Toyota promised
us back in February that the Tundra would be able to tow 10,000 lbs.
with this engine, though since then both Ford and Chevy have increased
the maximum towing capacities of their half-ton pickups to 10,500 lbs.
With such a powerful V8, the Tundra should have no trouble meeting
and/or exceeding the new towing limits of the domestics. Of course,
that's assuming the Tundra's frame can take it.
---

And now we know why Ford will soon produce the new 5.7+ liter
Hurricane/Boss engine.

Patrick

Old December 11th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

wrote:
> Through the digital grape vine we came across an article on MSNBC that
> rehashes the impending battle between Ford, Chevy and Toyota on the
> full-size pickup front. We've heard this story before, hell, we've told
> this story before, but what caught our eye was close to the end of the
> article when MSNSB Business Editor Roland Jones tells us that the 2007
> Toyota Tundra's top engine, the i-Force 5.7-liter V8, will produce 381
> horsepower. Wow! We've been trying to get that info out of Toyota since
> the Chicago auto show back in February, and Roland just lets it roll of
> the tongue like he were quoting rear-seat leg room. Unfortunately no
> torque numbers were mentioned, though we're far from sure this number
> is accurate anyway.
>
> If it is, the Tundra will have a significantly more powerful large V8
> to offer customers than will Ford, Dodge or Chevy. The F-150 offers the
> 5.4-liter Triton V8 that produces 300 hp and 365 ft-lbs. of torque,
> while the Dodge RAM can be had with a 5.7-liter HEMI V8 producing 345
> hp and 375 ft-lbs. of torque. Toyota, however, would clearly be aiming
> at Chevy if this number is accurate, as the Silverado's Vortec MAX
> 6.0-liter V8 produces 367 hp and 375 ft-lbs. of torque. Toyota promised
> us back in February that the Tundra would be able to tow 10,000 lbs.
> with this engine, though since then both Ford and Chevy have increased
> the maximum towing capacities of their half-ton pickups to 10,500 lbs.
> With such a powerful V8, the Tundra should have no trouble meeting
> and/or exceeding the new towing limits of the domestics. Of course,
> that's assuming the Tundra's frame can take it.
> ---
>
> And now we know why Ford will soon produce the new 5.7+ liter
> Hurricane/Boss engine.
>
> Patrick

Uh-huh, as soon as I catch one at a light I'll let you
know if it's over rated or not. :-P That quoted number for
the 6.0 Chevy makes me wonder if it is over rated or if the
calculated actual HP for the Titan is low, I can't imagine
that it's heavier that 5200 pounds.

--
“One of the advantages of aging gracefully
is that one learns how to pace oneself without