Loose coil pack

Old October 14th 05, 12:38 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Default Loose coil pack

My number 2-3 coil pack is loose. I assume the screws
are somewhere completely hidden by the firewall?

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 14th 05, 04:06 AM
Chuck

Always thought you had a loose screw somewhere!
The coil bracket gets removed with the coils. Then you can see why an
individual coil is loose.
(Lotsa Fun!)

Old October 14th 05, 05:16 AM
pws

Chuck wrote:
> Always thought you had a loose screw somewhere!

Damn, you beat me to it!

Leon, you seem to be repairing your miata at a fairly frequent rate
lately. How many miles are you up to and have you considered looking
into "Bozo II"?

Pat
Old October 15th 05, 03:13 AM
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Chuck wrote:
>> Always thought you had a loose screw somewhere!

>Damn, you beat me to it!
>
>Leon, you seem to be repairing your miata at a fairly frequent rate
>lately. How many miles are you up to and have you considered looking
>into "Bozo II"?

Never. I do regularly consider Bozo's new friend, however. When I get
time for it, I plan to check out the new Miata, of which I have good hopes
as a replacement I may like. I also saw a fairly nice MR-2 convertible
at Auto-X last time, don't know which year, but seemed recent. I would
really prefer an M1 Miata, but frankly, I do not have the time to deal
with maintenance and putting some real power in the near future.

Anyway, Bozo stays. He is not quite legal, and anyway, we go back
a long way. We have driven incredibly scenic roads in the US and Canada
together, stared down a black bear on the Cassiar and waited for a grizzly
to cross the Alaska, raced through some of the great racetracks of the US,
tumbled down the side of a mountain in Utah, winked Miatas all over
North America, been shot in Tallahassee, killed a small deer in Montana,
driven cheerleaders in parades, followed the Great Northern and the Great
River Road, driven the deserts of Route 66 with the windows wide open and
fan running to keep the engine from overheating, seen the start of the
mighty Mississippi and the beauty of the badlands, driven the canopy roads
of Tallahassee in winter and spring, and any other time we can, and every
month the little guy is going to play at autocross with me. We have
installed countless modifications, and Bozo has always been kind to the
major blunders I made then, and never really stranded me. And now that
I mention it, you all have helped me a lot with it too. Thanks.

Bozo stays with me.
Old October 15th 05, 08:22 PM
pws

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Never. I do regularly consider Bozo's new friend, however. When I get
> time for it, I plan to check out the new Miata, of which I have good hopes
> as a replacement I may like. I also saw a fairly nice MR-2 convertible
> at Auto-X last time, don't know which year, but seemed recent. I would
> really prefer an M1 Miata, but frankly, I do not have the time to deal
> with maintenance and putting some real power in the near future.
>
> Anyway, Bozo stays. He is not quite legal, and anyway, we go back
> a long way. We have driven incredibly scenic roads in the US and Canada
> together, stared down a black bear on the Cassiar and waited for a grizzly
> to cross the Alaska, raced through some of the great racetracks of the US,
> tumbled down the side of a mountain in Utah, winked Miatas all over
> North America, been shot in Tallahassee, killed a small deer in Montana,
> driven cheerleaders in parades, followed the Great Northern and the Great
> River Road, driven the deserts of Route 66 with the windows wide open and
> fan running to keep the engine from overheating, seen the start of the
> mighty Mississippi and the beauty of the badlands, driven the canopy roads
> of Tallahassee in winter and spring, and any other time we can, and every
> month the little guy is going to play at autocross with me. We have
> installed countless modifications, and Bozo has always been kind to the
> major blunders I made then, and never really stranded me. And now that
> I mention it, you all have helped me a lot with it too. Thanks.
>
> Bozo stays with me.
> Leon

I know what you mean. I had no plans on replacing the '96M, but
unfortunately I killed a large deer with mine instead of a small one.
Well, you saw the pictures.....

Still, I have almost no sentimental attachment to any material object,
especially if it is replaceable with an identical item. Every single
item that I own is for sale for the right price. :-)

Pat
Old October 16th 05, 10:30 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chuck" > wrote:

>Always thought you had a loose screw somewhere!
>The coil bracket gets removed with the coils. Then you can see why an
>individual coil is loose.
>(Lotsa Fun!)

Yes, it must be. I see that Mazda cleverly put one screw *below* the
coil pack. Must have been the most fun they had in the design
department since that designer thought up the location of the oil
filter.

Fortunately, I got very lucky. Turned out the top attachment screw
of the coil pack, easily accessible without removing the pack,
was loose: it had lost the nut and lock washer in the back, but
fortunately the screw was still loosely in its hole. Even more
fortunate, I had a fitting M8 nut and two lock washers (one to
lose somewhere behind or in the engine and one to install.) Was
somewhat of a mess to try to get both the nut and the washer on
the screw between the firewall and engine, but being an incredibly
talented mechanic, I taped the nut inside a box wrench, which
prevented it from joining the first lock washer. Whole thing was
over in half an hour or so.

Screw had a coppery tint, so it may have been providing an earth,
which may explain why I was having indications of poor combustion
on my WB oxygen sensor. I replaced the spark wires and plugs anyway.

Leon

.. .