Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Old April 26th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage, Has anyone tried this?
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/
Old April 26th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

You are several months late!

This urban legend has already been discussed to death.

I'll stick with cow stomach magnets.......

ROFL!
Old April 26th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Stan Weiss > wrote:

> Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage, Has anyone tried this?
> http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

*MAYBE* it'll increase your mileage, *DEFINITELY* it'll increase your
garage-time/repair bills as it eats anything rubber in the fuel system.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old April 27th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Al Bundy wrote:

> I have an old car to test things on. One time I cleaned out a garage
> and there were bags and bags of dry gas, essentially alcohol. I dumped
> it all in. Then I had extra mineral spirits and naphtha. I did try some
> acetone also and in quantities greater than those sites recommend.
> There was no measurable difference in mileage beyond the added volume
> of what I added and fortunately, no damage of note. A couple ounces of
> acetone probably won't hurt anything, but why would anyone bother
> unless they had an old clunker they were trying to kill.

Many years ago I used to use about a pint of acetone twice a year to
clean out the fuel system. This was on a car driven about 20,000 miles a
year. At that time hi-test was 36 cents a gallon so i did not check gas
mileage.
Stan
Old April 27th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

ask the author of www.turborick.com/gsxr1127/gasoline.html

Old April 27th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Al Bundy wrote:

> I have an old car to test things on. One time I cleaned out a garage
> and there were bags and bags of dry gas, essentially alcohol. I dumped
> it all in. Then I had extra mineral spirits and naphtha. I did try some
> acetone also and in quantities greater than those sites recommend.
> There was no measurable difference in mileage beyond the added volume
> of what I added and fortunately, no damage of note. A couple ounces of
> acetone probably won't hurt anything, but why would anyone bother
> unless they had an old clunker they were trying to kill.

I just checked my can of CRC / Fuel Injector / Air-Intake Cleaner /
Teflon Safe which Contains Propane, Xyene, Toluene, Acetone, and the
list goes on. If you checked the percentage of acetone that is to be
added the most that will happen is you get a clean fuel system. I only
put 5100 miles a year on my car so it would take some time to see if
this had any increase in mileage.
Stan
Old April 27th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Stan Weiss wrote:

> Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage, Has anyone tried this?
> http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

It is just an urban myth/meme which gets a run whenever the price of petrol
spikes.

Old April 27th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Stan Weiss wrote:
> Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage, Has anyone tried this?
> http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

I read in an article by H. Indenburg, P.E. that heard that gasoline
aerated with hydrogen will give an explosive increase in power.

Old April 27th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"John S." wrote:

> Stan Weiss wrote:
> > Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage, Has anyone tried this?
> > http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

> I read in an article by H. Indenburg, P.E. that heard that gasoline
> aerated with hydrogen will give an explosive increase in power.

Acetone has been used as engine fuel for many years the only question is
does it help gas mileage.

It does have many properties like a very high anti-knock raing.
http://www.turbofast.com.au/racefuel15.html

The top cars built for the new Formula would all be sans supercharger.
Maserati chose a straight six normally aspirated engine configuration.
This configuration was based on A6SSG engine and allowed for an
uncomplicated layout of valve gear, manifolding and ancillaries. Fueled
by a mixture of 50% methanol, 35% petrol, 10% acetone, 4% benzol and 1%
caster oil the engine produced an initial 220 bhp at 7,400 rpm. The
petrol was only rated at 80 octane but with the acetone the fuel mix
would burn faster. The benzol would ensure that the methanol and petrol
mixed properly while the caster oil was necessary to alleviate the
effects of the alcohol washing away the oil film from the cylinder
walls. The entrant could easily increase power by using a more radical
fuel mixture or by increasing the compression ratio.
http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/maserati-250f.htm

And some day Mr. H. Indenburg and his hydrogen may well be in your tank.
Stan

Understanding emission numbers and how they work Steve H Honda 11 November 3rd 05 05:19 AM
L98: starts, but won't keep running. Dave Gee Corvette 15 October 22nd 05 08:43 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM