Query 98 auto to manual conversion

Old December 13th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Query 98 auto to manual conversion

Hi, just a query. I have a 98 MX51800 auto. Bought due to old left knee
injury which is painful in slow traffic in a manuall . However can't get
along with the slush box as the car loses character and driveability!
My question is: can I simply replace with a manual 5 speed using parts from
a wreck? will the crankshaft take an earlier model(1600) flywheel? And will
the bellhousing take a 1600 gearbox?I'll have to use earlier stuff since not
many Mk2s wrecked here in New Zealand. I assume pedal box and other
ancilliaries will fit or can be made to fit.
If it is too much hassle I'll just have to take the drop and sell the auto
but Im reluctant since it is an immaculate metallic blue with tan top and
leather. Better spec'd than most imports are here.
If someone could answer these queries, I'd really appreciate it.

Old December 13th 05, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Ian & Joc Byrd" > wrote in
:

> Hi, just a query. I have a 98 MX51800 auto. Bought due to old left
> knee injury which is painful in slow traffic in a manual .
> However can't get along with the slush box as the car loses
> character and driveability! My question is: can I simply replace
> with a manual 5 speed using parts from a wreck? will the
> crankshaft take an earlier model(1600) flywheel? And will the
> bellhousing take a 1600 gearbox?

I think you'll need parts from an 1800, not sure. I do know that the
manual transmission won't help the knee injury, are you absolutely sure
you can handle it? I got the Miata because of a knee problem, it had
the lightest clutch of the cars I looked at but the knee continues to
deteriorate and the day will eventually come when I'll probably have to
sell the car. I'm hoping I've got another couple of years but who
knows?

I'd do a lot of thinking, you could be spending time and money to build
a car you can't drive......

Old December 14th 05, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I know this may be a long shot but hey, it's free, I'll throw it out there.
Have you considered the NC? I've heard very good things about the auto /
sequential, whatever they call it. I'm sure there is much more to be read as
I haven't pursued it but in you guys (I should type w/ a TX drawl I know),
ya'all's cases, it could be an excellent choice.

I didn't drive one (auto) at the NC intro I went to here in Houston but
later when I was hearing so much good about it I wished I had just for the
first hand knowledge.

Good luck,
Chris
99BBB

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Ian & Joc Byrd" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Hi, just a query. I have a 98 MX51800 auto. Bought due to old left
>> knee injury which is painful in slow traffic in a manual .
>> However can't get along with the slush box as the car loses
>> character and driveability! My question is: can I simply replace
>> with a manual 5 speed using parts from a wreck? will the
>> crankshaft take an earlier model(1600) flywheel? And will the
>> bellhousing take a 1600 gearbox?

> I think you'll need parts from an 1800, not sure. I do know that the
> manual transmission won't help the knee injury, are you absolutely sure
> you can handle it? I got the Miata because of a knee problem, it had
> the lightest clutch of the cars I looked at but the knee continues to
> deteriorate and the day will eventually come when I'll probably have to
> sell the car. I'm hoping I've got another couple of years but who
> knows?
>
> I'd do a lot of thinking, you could be spending time and money to build
> a car you can't drive......

auto to manual conversion Brandon VW water cooled 2 November 27th 05 05:32 PM
Auto to manual conversion question Brandon Sommerville VW water cooled 13 November 27th 05 05:22 PM
Auto or Manual? Bill G BMW 7 March 6th 05 09:01 AM
Greetings all. Audi 100 Crown and pinion are they interchangable between teh Auto and the Manual? BRIAN Audi 1 November 19th 04 01:12 AM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM