Ignition switch/lock problem

Old July 23rd 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

Default Ignition switch/lock problem

My 96 XJ has something like 330k on it and the ignition switch and lock
has never given any trouble until today.

Got in the Jeep, turned the key and it felt like something went
"crunch", and when it got to the start position nothing happend.

The dash lights come on, and with a push I got it started and home
(thank goodness for stick shifts!). It's now hotwired so I can get to
work until it's fixed but what to fix?

I'm thinking it's the ignition switch, the key turns all the way but the
starter never engages.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt
Old July 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Jeff DeWitt wrote:
> My 96 XJ has something like 330k on it and the ignition switch and
> lock has never given any trouble until today.
>
> Got in the Jeep, turned the key and it felt like something went
> "crunch", and when it got to the start position nothing happend.
>
> The dash lights come on, and with a push I got it started and home
> (thank goodness for stick shifts!). It's now hotwired so I can get to
> work until it's fixed but what to fix?
>
> I'm thinking it's the ignition switch, the key turns all the way but
> the starter never engages.

Not having the book on your model I'm going to take a wild running guess.

My guess is the switch broke. Depending on the model this switch is
located down the column and not up by the actual key.

Suspect yours looks like this.
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/par...ailed/458.html
Can't find one for the 96, that's up to 94.

--
DougW

Old July 23rd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

My vote is on the linkage between the lock set and the switch.

The lock set has a gear on the back that engages a rack that pulls a bar
that operates the switch. Your trouble is in the rack.

You have to remove the steering wheel and the steering lock ring and part of
the shrouding between the back of the steering wheel and the dash board. If
you have tilt steering, you have to take that apart as well. It's really not
very difficult, you will need a GM Steering Wheel Lock Ring Removal Tool as
the only special tool, and you can use the loaners at Autozone, or buy one
for about $10.

The turn signal switch is in your way too.

Old July 23rd 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

That sounds like it fits, do you think the rack is bad? What part do I
ask for?

Is this the same bar that releases the steering lock? When the cover
was off today I could see that moving back and forth.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Old July 23rd 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

DougW wrote:
> Jeff DeWitt wrote:
>> My 96 XJ has something like 330k on it and the ignition switch and
>> lock has never given any trouble until today.
>>
>> Got in the Jeep, turned the key and it felt like something went
>> "crunch", and when it got to the start position nothing happend.
>>
>> The dash lights come on, and with a push I got it started and home
>> (thank goodness for stick shifts!). It's now hotwired so I can get to
>> work until it's fixed but what to fix?
>>
>> I'm thinking it's the ignition switch, the key turns all the way but
>> the starter never engages.

> Not having the book on your model I'm going to take a wild running guess.
>
> My guess is the switch broke. Depending on the model this switch is
> located down the column and not up by the actual key.
>
> Suspect yours looks like this.
> http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/par...ailed/458.html
> Can't find one for the 96, that's up to 94.

Thanks Doug, according to Autozone it looks like this,

http://autozone.com/R,APP379031/vehi...ductDetail.htm

And that does look like what is in the column.

Jeff DeWitt
Old July 23rd 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht

There is no rack. Since the ignition lock cylinder goes directly into
the switch, there is no linkage between the two.

Most llikely, and most common failure is the ignition lock cylinder.

Old July 23rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

When you get the steering column opened up, the broken stuff will be
apparent. Yes, I think the rack is bad. Whether it's the same part as for
the steering lock, I'm not certain. The steering lock and the ignition rack
are related parts ...

When my CJ5 had this problem, and my '95 Bronco too, I found parts out on
the floor of my local parts house. I found the Jeep parts at Pep Boys (a big
box parts store) in a package from HELP Brand parts. HELP parts are
displayed in different colors depending on which part of the vehicle they
are used in, I recall that the ignition switch parts were red (but I not
sure of that detail). The point is, you do not go to the parts counter guy
and have him look stuff up, you just troll the floor looking for the HELP
parts.

It turns out that my Bronco needed a dealer item because of the year, but if
I had a different year then the HELP parts would have been available.

The HELP parts for my Jeep were only a few dollars.

Old July 23rd 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

Are you sure of that?

The lock set is way up high on the steering column, and the ignition switch
itself is down by the brake pedal. There is a linkage that connects the two.

I have not done this job on an XJ, but I did it on my Ford and my CJ5, and
both had the same configuration -- albeit different parts and a a variation
on the implementation of them. I have no reason to expect the XJ to be very
much different than my
CJ.

In any case, the OP will be able to see the broken stuff once he gets the
steering wheel and lock plate and (maybe) the turn signal switch off.

Old July 23rd 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I think they changed steering column makers Jeff. The older ones were
Saginaw like the CJ's, but not with the last few years. The Saginaw
ones were too easy to fix eh, no hours or $$$ in them.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old July 24th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
merrill

Hi Jeff

I had the exact same problem with my 87 XJ.

The keyswitch is different from your 96, AMC vs Chrysler. However, I
suspect the ignition switch is the same. The switch was badly burned
from starter current through the contacts. Looks like photo from
DougW.

I jumpered the soleniod to a heavy duty switch on the dash. I replaced
the ignition switch but still use the dash switch for starting so I
won't need to replace the switch again.

It is a pig to change because you must remove a panel and work under
the dash, but it just takes a little patience.

Merrill