One year later - Corvette vs. Miata

Old December 8th 05, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default One year later - Corvette vs. Miata

"The Millers" > wrote:

>Off topic, but a week ago, my wife traded in her Olds minivan for a new
>Pontiac. She called the Olds dealer today to inquire about canceling the
>extended warranty and about how much of a refund could she expect. "That
>company went bankrupt, you're SOL."

I had a similar situation, albeit probably less expensive, several years ago
when I bought a 'service plan' for a couple of VCRs. I took them in a year later
for a cleaning and was told the company backing the service plan had gone out of
business, here's a letter so I can contact the bankruptcy court and maybe get
back my money (at two cents on the dollar), thanks and have a nice day...

Last time I bought from that store, and last time I bought any kind of service
plan that wasn't backed by some huge company.

--
Craig Wagner, craig(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com
Portland, OR

"Don't ban high-performance vehicles, ban low-performance drivers!"
Old December 8th 05, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> Thanks for selling us that warranty... And don't expect us back any day
> soon.

Regarding those warranties. I purchased the extended warranty option when I
bought a 1988 Mazda SE-5, cab-plus pickup. Needless to say, I never needed
the warranty coverage. Sold the truck @ 118K miles and it still ran like
new.

My 1999 Miata had similar (bought used) reliability. I have heard that the
other Mazda cars (3 & 6 series) are not as good and the new Mazda truck is a
re-branded ford (Run away!) . Anyone out there have any long term data on
the Mazda Threes? I'd love a new Miata but the wife @ 1yr old will not all
fit into a 2 seater!
Regards
Squat

Old December 9th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I guess we'll find out.

Some kind of warranty is a must-have with these rolling entertainment
systems -- in the Olds we had a combination switch fail (volume control and
Aux switch) and that switch, all by itself, was $500. JUST THE PART!!!
Luckily, that company hadn't gone belly up at that time.

My brother is the warranty administrator for a Chevy dealer and his advise
is to go with the third party warranty, because GMs offerings don't cover as
much and they cost more. Beyond that, who's to say GM can't go bankrupt?

I've had mostly good experience with the extended warranties, this last one
being the exception.

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,

{snip}

Old December 9th 05, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I think it would have been a great experience if GM dealers would get
their act together on how to treat customers (Cobalt or Corvette, it's
still a customer) and GM corporate needs to understand how important it
is to take care of their flagship purchasers. I've owned three Miatas,
one with a blower, and two that I took well over 100K miles. Never a
problem with any of them so guess I didn't really need the dealer but
even then, the dealer did follow up calls on the new one and when the
95M was subjected to an airbag recall (this was in 2001 I think) they
gave me a loaner for a six year old car! I really do believe in buying
American but I've tried several times and 100% of the time it's been a
bad experience.

Old December 9th 05, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Ken,

The house is great, took a long time to get in but now it's just a
matter of buying all the "necessary" accessories that cost almost as
much as the house. Kind of hard to say no to the wife after she let me
buy the Corvette (smart women, wonder how much was intentional!).
She's also being awfully cooperative about getting back into a Miata
now that I think about it - think I've been "husbanized" again. Hope
all is well with you.

Old December 9th 05, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

That's where the "kick in the gut" came in for my wife and I. This "you're
SOL" dealer has enjoyed repeat business from us, not to mention sales as
result of referrals from us.

That's done...

oups.com...