Hardtop

Old September 27th 05, 09:08 AM
Christian

Default Hardtop

Does anyone know if a NA Hardtop will fit on the NB model ??

/Christian

Old September 27th 05, 01:50 PM
Christopher Muto

the latches are different between the na and nb but i seem to recall reading
somewhere that they can be replaced with the correct latches... an article
that i can't find at the moment... also the electrical connector for the
window defroster is also different. this article describes what i am
talking about...
http://www.miata.net/garage/hardtop/

k...

Old September 27th 05, 04:08 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-27, Christian > wrote:

> Does anyone know if a NA Hardtop will fit on the NB model ??

Yes.

At some point in NB production, they changed the design of the
front latches slightly. There's a retrofit kit available
update the latches on and older top for use on an NB.

It's an easy job unless you do what I did and break off one of
the screws trying to remove the latch from the top. Then I
broke off an EZ-Out trying to get the screw out. EZ-Outs are
damned hard, and it's almost impossible to drill them out. The
next step involved a Dremel tool and several ruined cutter and
abrasive tips.

The defrost connector changed as well, but that's easy enough
to fix (or do without).

The definitive hardtop site is

http://www.gweep.net/~sfoskett/miata/hardtop/index.html

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! Is my fallout
at shelter termite proof?
Old September 28th 05, 05:20 PM
Chuck

The older tops had firmer rubber seals. These may need to be changed. There
is a little black plastic cap at the bottom rear of each side window post.
These seem to be difficult to obtain, and were not shown in the NB parts
breakout. The other gaskets were available the last time I looked.
Repainting a top properly involves the removal of the rear window rubber
gasket and other trim.. A new rear window gasket will likely be needed,
since the gasket usually must be cutout with a knife.

The factory used something like Locktite, and the screws corrode where the
threads are exposed inside the top frame.
To add insult to injury, the screws are fairly soft. A Dremel or similar
tool is about the only answer when things go wrong!
I tred working a lubricant and rust remover into the threads, with no luck.

There is a newer screw that has a hex or spline head that should be a bit
better.

Old September 28th 05, 05:42 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-28, Chuck > wrote:

> The factory used something like Locktite, and the screws
> corrode where the threads are exposed inside the top frame.

I thought about trying to heat up the frame to both loosen the
Loctite and just plain make the hole bigger. With all
that plastic around and attached to the frame, that didn't
seem like a good idea. I probably should have at least let
some liquid wrench soak in before starting.

> To add insult to injury, the screws are fairly soft. A Dremel
> or similar tool is about the only answer when things go wrong!
> I tred working a lubricant and rust remover into the threads,
> with no luck.
>
> There is a newer screw that has a hex or spline head that
> should be a bit better.

I didn't have any problem with the screw head itself, the shaft
just plain broke.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I smell like a wet
at reducing clinic on Columbus
Old December 5th 05, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Christian wrote:
> Does anyone know if a NA Hardtop will fit on the NB model ??
>
> /Christian

Yes, the NA top will fit the NB chassis.
Old December 5th 05, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2005-12-05, Jimmy > wrote:

>> Does anyone know if a NA Hardtop will fit on the NB model ??
>>

> Yes, the NA top will fit the NB chassis.

You might have to change the latch hardware on the front of the
hardtop. See the miata hardtop faq:

http://www.miata.net/garage/hardtop/

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Dizzy, are we