GM to kill the Pontiac brand

Old April 27th 09, 02:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
doby

Default GM to kill the Pontiac brand

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:32:38 -0400, "Vintage" > wrote:
> [...]
>>who owns two Pontiac franchises. "If they have to make further cuts, it
>>seems like a natural one."
>>
>>GM declined to confirm its plans Friday.
>>
>>"Contrary to media speculation, General Motors has not announced any changes
>>to its long-term viability plan or to the future status of any of its
>>brands," the company said in a statement. "GM is continuing to review its
>>restructuring plan to go further and faster and best ensure its future
>>success. Additional information will be released as any decisions are
>>finalized."
>>
>>Pontiac sales fell 25.3 percent in 2008 to 267,348, down from its peak in
>>the late 1970s, when about 900,000 Pontiacs were sold.
>>
>>Pontiac, established as the Pontiac Buggy Co. in 1893 in the Oakland County
>>city that shares its name to build horse-drawn carriages, became synonymous
>>with fast-driving V-8s and muscle cars in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. GM has
>>sold more than 35 million vehicles in the 83-year-old brand's life.
>>
>>In 1907, company founder Edward Murphy moved to cars, creating the Oakland
>>Motor Car Company. GM bought half of Pontiac in 1909 and later bought the
>>rest. In 1926, GM created the Pontiac brand -- priced between Chevrolet and
>>Oldsmobile, debuting the Series 6-27 at the 1926 New York Auto Show. Just
>>$825, Pontiac sold 76,742 cars in the first year.
>>
>>Legacy of muscle cars
>>The company built a $15 million assembly plant in Pontiac -- the largest
>>construction program in the United States in 1926 -- which built the
>>Oerlikon 20 mm anti-aircraft cannon for the U.S. Navy during World War II.
>>By 1953, Pontiacs, with the new V-8 engine, sold 385,000 vehicles -- more
>>than Dodge and Mercury.
>>
>>Pontiac hired legendary designer John DeLorean in 1957 and ushered in the
>>muscle car era with the GTO in 1964, followed by the Firebird in 1967 and
>>redesigned Grand Prix in 1969 and the Firebird Trans Am.
>>
>>Pontiacs have had a role in popular culture. A Pontiac convertible was used
>>by Lucy and Ricky in episodes of "I Love Lucy" in a drive across the
>>country. Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams were featured in the 1977 film "Smokey
>>and the Bandit."
>>
>>Those muscle car models are a key part of Pontiac's legacy.
>>
>>"That was the high-water mark," said Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics in
>>Birmingham. "They were overstated for the market but found some resonance
>>from buyers who wanted cars like that."
>>
>>He discounted any notion that Pontiac would permanently disappear and said
>>it could emerge once the market rebounds as a niche brand of one or two
>>models.
>>
>>"Killing Pontiac is probably the wrong word," Hall said. "Putting it to
>>sleep is probably far more accurate. Don't count Pontiac out forever, but
>>it's definitely going fallow for a while. You'll see something from Pontiac
>>in the future providing you see something from General Motors in the

I'm beginning to think this is all my fault.
My 1st car 1937 Pontiac. Zappppp now most likely history
My 2nd car 1940 Lincoln V12 Well not yet gone as a car but the V12 is.
My 3rd car a 1940 Plymouth Deluxe 2dr sdn plus many Plymouths
along the way. Zappppp now gone, gone, gone.
Then there is the 53 Impalla SS, well it's not gone but on the endangered
species list.
A 56 Chrysler and a 1994 LHS most likely to be gone.
a 69 Dodge working van and now my 2007 Caliber, oh my, it must be
my fault.

Hey does anyone have a car from one of the Asian or European companies
they want gone. Help me buy one and before this is all over with, it will be
history too.

Woe is me

Doby
Old April 28th 09, 02:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"Doby" > wrote in message

> I'm beginning to think this is all my fault.
> My 1st car 1937 Pontiac. Zappppp now most likely history
> My 2nd car 1940 Lincoln V12 Well not yet gone as a car but the V12 is.
> My 3rd car a 1940 Plymouth Deluxe 2dr sdn plus many Plymouths
> along the way. Zappppp now gone, gone, gone.
> Then there is the 53 Impalla SS, well it's not gone but on the endangered
> species list.

I imagine that last one was a typo. You, among all here, know for certain
Chevrolet did not build an Impala SS in 1953.
--
Pat

Old April 28th 09, 06:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Mike G[_2_] Mike G[_2_] is offline
Banned

"Van Chocstraw" > wrote in message
> They already kill the Olds and nobody misses it. We won't miss any of
> their junk even if they fold; which they should. Not a single American car
> can get 50 mpg, that is pathetic.

Well, tell me how many foreign cars that are ACTUALLY large enough to haul
people that get over 50 mpg.......
--
Never Explain......
Your friends don't need it

Old April 28th 09, 08:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Max Magister

There might be a few in Canada, the UK, or Australia, where the gallon is
the Imperial measure that's larger than the US gallon. As a result of that
difference, our cars always showed as having better mileage than the US
models but that was forgetting our larger gallon.

max

m...

Old April 29th 09, 03:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Steve Barker[_5_]

Mike G wrote:
> "Van Chocstraw" > wrote in message
>> They already kill the Olds and nobody misses it. We won't miss any of
>> their junk even if they fold; which they should. Not a single American car
>> can get 50 mpg, that is pathetic.

> Well, tell me how many foreign cars that are ACTUALLY large enough to haul
> people that get over 50 mpg.......

the volkswagon rabbit diesel, AND rabbit diesel pickup did that over 15
years ago.