TIG Welding on a TJ

Old January 28th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nick

Default TIG Welding on a TJ

Hi,
I was planning on moving the coil spring perch's on the Dana44
on the back of my TJ to bring them back level under normal
circumstances, due to a suspension lift then arm adjustments to
realign the pinion angle. I am planning on using my TIG it has HF or
Lift start as an initiation sequence. What safety precautions would
be recommended in relation to the electrics on the vehicle before
beginning to weld.

Cheers
Nick
Old January 28th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Coasty[_1_]

Keep the ground as close to your work as possible and stay away from the gas
tank.
Coasty

Old January 29th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

I usually disconnect the battery as well, but I may be off base on that.
Figure it doesn't hurt.

Carl

Old January 29th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Stupendous Man

I have done plenty of MIG and SMAW welding on vehicles with no problems, but
considering the effects of HF with TIG, I would disconnect the battery
ground to protect components. Perhaps not necessary, but it couldn't hurt.
--
Stupendous Man,

Old January 29th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

I like to have someone watching me with a fire extinguisher, water hose
and tarps.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 29th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

Bill,

Tarps?

Carl

Old January 29th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

Not off-base at all. It is a very good idea, and most auto companies
recommend this as well. There is a risk of ruining the computer. Even
static electricity can damage an EPROM.

Chris

Old January 29th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

I meant tarps like a trucker would tarp his load on with:
http://shop.coversuperstore.com/inde...tegoryID=35 9
Not the plastic covers, you might buy from China. You may substitute a heavy
wool blanket to smother any flames.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

. ..

Old January 29th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

What do you use the tarps for?

Old January 29th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
djdave

What Year?

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:15:59 +0000, Nick