How to save GM and the Corvette

Old April 21st 09, 03:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tikbalang[_2_]

Default How to save GM and the Corvette

How to Save GM

New product. The Forever Car. Advertised as the last car you will ever
need to buy. It will not have model years. All the models will be
identical and they will never change. So the parts from a Forever car
made today will be interchangeable with one made ten years from now.
Little by little the owner can replace all the used/worn parts with
new parts and actually have a totally new car. Parts can be replaced
individually or in component packages, whichever the owner decides is
better or easier to do at the time. It will be designed to be worked
on by the owners. There will be room to get at the parts. It will come
with a tool box that has tools to fit every part on the car and a DVD
with instructions on how to repair everything. It will have a USB
cable to plug into your home computer for diagnostic testing. Of
course, you can always take it to a mechanic. Yes, parts do get
obsolete and improvements are made. The parts can be upgraded just as
long as the component package still matches.
There will be three models - the sports car, the sedan, and the SUV.
Of course the sports car would have to be the Corvette. What about the
fact that your car looks like every other car out there? No it
wouldn't. Aftermarket manufacturers would come up with thousands of
modifications or add-ons just like they did for the old VW Beetle.

Old April 21st 09, 05:39 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Tikbalang" > wrote in message
> How to Save GM
>
> New product. The Forever Car. Advertised as the last car you will ever
> need to buy. It will not have model years. All the models will be
> identical and they will never change.

Before I even got to the end of your post I thought of the VW.
Incremental slow change is OK as earlier models can be "upgraded" by owners.

I've often suggested that the overall Volkswagon program was one of the few
things done by Nazi Germany that could use a 2nd look for future
applicability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle

-W

Old April 23rd 09, 01:51 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

I don't care if they save the Corvette or not. The last great Corvette that
GM made was in 1974. All the others have been overpriced also-rans.

I think GM should put the Corvette out of its misery or concentrate on
building the best car in the world. Not a cheap, "me-too" to BMW or
Porsche.

Vito

Old April 23rd 09, 02:41 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>I don't care if they save the Corvette or not. The last great Corvette
>that GM made was in 1974. All the others have been overpriced also-rans.
>
> I think GM should put the Corvette out of its misery or concentrate on
> building the best car in the world. Not a cheap, "me-too" to BMW or
> Porsche.
>
> Vito

Interesting comment. If you consider the 71 454 roadster I bought in 1971
for around $6,000 that cost in today's dollar is about $35k or so. I guess
you paying for improvements and technology.

Old April 23rd 09, 04:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Uncle_vito" > wrote in message
> >I don't care if they save the Corvette or not. The last great Corvette
> >that GM made was in 1974. All the others have been overpriced also-rans.
> >
> > I think GM should put the Corvette out of its misery or concentrate on
> > building the best car in the world. Not a cheap, "me-too" to BMW or
> > Porsche.
> >
> > Vito

> Interesting comment. If you consider the 71 454 roadster I bought in 1971
> for around $6,000 that cost in today's dollar is about $35k or so. I guess
> you paying for improvements and technology.

You need to remember that back in '71 part of that 6k was also "paying for
"improvements and new technology" circa 197. The Vette has usually been at
(or near) the front of GM's RnD platform thusly the hefty price tag.

I think Corvette should break free of GM and Chevrolet, if need be to stay
alive.

Perhaps two models to be made:
The latest "gee-wiz" Vette du-jour for the "big bucks".
And for lower budgets - a re-run of the 63-67 C2 Stingray body, only with
updated drivetrains, weight, and electronics. (ya, you can rework the seats
too). But still "retro" enough that only minimal RnD costs need to be
passed through to the consumer. (I'm thinking like VW and HD did for years
and years here.)

-W (I always felt that while I *personally* prefer the '68 body - that the
C2 was the best styling design to ever roll off an assembly line - anywhere)

Old April 23rd 09, 05:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

I agree with you. I own a C2. A 1964 roadster with 327. Best looking car
ever. Then GM basically crapped out. About 1975 onward they started making
???? I am not talking about technical innovation here. Of course, the
newest Vette has the latest technology. But back in 1963, GM made the best
car(s) ever. The Vette was better proportioned than the Jag XKE that was
similar. Performance of the fuelly was on a par with the Ferrari. Looks
also.

I cannot relate to what they have now. Key fobs having problems. Nav
systems, dual area HVAC, etc. Crappy run flats with no spare and pressure
sensors that are a nightmare to get working right.

GM needs to make the ZR-1 the standard Vette and price it at $45,000.

Also get out the 4 valve per cylinder OHC, variable valve timing, direct
injection, 7000 rpm red line engine. What they have now was a joint
devopment with the engine for SUV's . Sheesh. Has economical development
all over it.

Vito

m...

Old April 23rd 09, 05:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

We had a 1959 Kingswood wagon. With the big horizontal fins. Excellent
styling!

Vito

Old April 23rd 09, 08:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>I agree with you. I own a C2. A 1964 roadster with 327. Best
>looking car ever. Then GM basically crapped out. About 1975 onward
>they started making ???? I am not talking about technical innovation
>here. Of course, the newest Vette has the latest technology. But
>back in 1963, GM made the best car(s) ever. The Vette was better
>proportioned than the Jag XKE that was similar. Performance of the
>fuelly was on a par with the Ferrari. Looks also.

Snip>

Oh get a life, I had a new '63 Corvette and it was junk, so was the
'64 that I traded for just to get rid of it. Design sucked and the
front end started to float anything over 100. Looks has nothing to do
with quality. That junk only got bigger when they went to the '68
design. It didn't get any better until the C5 came out.

Old April 23rd 09, 12:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

Is this you replying????

Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51