Gotcha, you damn drunk driver

Old September 29th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Gotcha, you damn drunk driver

To be honest, your first response elicited that. Reading further I could see
your thought process. I gotta agree with Jim, it just got to be too much
testosterone for me.

Take it easy guys,
Chris
99BBB

nk.net...

Old September 29th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

Chris D'Agnolo > wrote in message
> To be honest, your first response elicited that. Reading further I could

see
> your thought process.

I was obviously too opaque. Sorry, and thanks for your followup.

miker

Old September 29th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

Default Way off topic (NMC)

> I understand that, but we have cars on the road that are 80 years old or
> more, so this equipment would have to be installed and adapted to every
> motorized road vehicle made before the equipment became standard.
> The costs would be enormous, especially for the first 10 years or so.

Yes, it would be. But gradually we lose the old ones. I remember seeing a
'64 Biscayne like my first car the other day - I used to see them fairly
frequently, nowadays I have to go to a hot rod meet.

> Ok, I can understand that, but now look at what we have. No more driving
> a person home in their vehicle if they have been drinking.

I think that would be one of the situations where it would work - he plonks
his thumbprint there, you start the car and drive him home. This isn't a guy
who's lost his license, right? If he had, he couldn't have driven the car to
where you are.

> How about
> test-drives? I have driven many vehicles that were not mine to diagnose
> problems. That would be the end of that.

It would work if the owner was along (or sent you off after starting it) but
that would be a hassle, yes.

> Would a mechanic have an override key or would you have to drive them
> around in your car?
> The mechanic's override device would be a big prize, and probably not
> too hard for a high-tech teenager to duplicate. It goes on and on.....

A definite problem, one shared today by... uh, I'm thinking of something on
tv about Mercede's, can't remember it. There was something dealers had that
made them much easier to steal if you got one. Key codes? Just to fling
something out, how about making the mechanics override something 1'x2'x3'
that would fit in the trunk? That way it's obvious if you're carrying one
around. (heh. Just brainstorming.)

> > Is it really more big-brotherish than a key only your dealer can

duplicate?
> > (i.e. Corvette etc)

> I think so, you are giving them your DNA, retinal scan, fingerprints, or
> whatever. That is a bit more than having the dealer being the only one
> able to duplicate your key.

A valid concern. Flipping that over, the freedom from Big Brother comes with
a price... people driving that shouldn't be. <And here he opens another can
of worms... > And today it looks like Americans would rather add even
illusionary safety than keep freedoms.

miker

Old September 29th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

miker wrote:
>>I understand that, but we have cars on the road that are 80 years old or
>>more, so this equipment would have to be installed and adapted to every
>>motorized road vehicle made before the equipment became standard.
>>The costs would be enormous, especially for the first 10 years or so.

> Yes, it would be. But gradually we lose the old ones. I remember seeing a
> '64 Biscayne like my first car the other day - I used to see them fairly
> frequently, nowadays I have to go to a hot rod meet.
>

>>Ok, I can understand that, but now look at what we have. No more driving
>>a person home in their vehicle if they have been drinking.

> I think that would be one of the situations where it would work - he plonks
> his thumbprint there, you start the car and drive him home. This isn't a guy
> who's lost his license, right? If he had, he couldn't have driven the car to
> where you are.
>

>>How about
>>test-drives? I have driven many vehicles that were not mine to diagnose
>>problems. That would be the end of that.

> It would work if the owner was along (or sent you off after starting it) but
> that would be a hassle, yes.
>

>>Would a mechanic have an override key or would you have to drive them
>>around in your car?
>>The mechanic's override device would be a big prize, and probably not
>>too hard for a high-tech teenager to duplicate. It goes on and on.....

> A definite problem, one shared today by... uh, I'm thinking of something on
> tv about Mercede's, can't remember it. There was something dealers had that
> made them much easier to steal if you got one. Key codes? Just to fling
> something out, how about making the mechanics override something 1'x2'x3'
> that would fit in the trunk? That way it's obvious if you're carrying one
> around. (heh. Just brainstorming.)
>

>>>Is it really more big-brotherish than a key only your dealer can

> duplicate?
>
>>>(i.e. Corvette etc)

>>I think so, you are giving them your DNA, retinal scan, fingerprints, or
>>whatever. That is a bit more than having the dealer being the only one
>>able to duplicate your key.

> A valid concern. Flipping that over, the freedom from Big Brother comes with
> a price... people driving that shouldn't be. <And here he opens another can
> of worms... > And today it looks like Americans would rather add even
> illusionary safety than keep freedoms.
>
> miker

Ok miker, at this point we are agreeing far more than disagreeing.
I think we actually reached an understanding after all of those many
posts. :-)

Pat
Old September 29th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> Ok miker, at this point we are agreeing far more than disagreeing.
> I think we actually reached an understanding after all of those many
> posts. :-)

And we are now off-topic enough to interest Homeland Security. Ah well.

miker

Old September 29th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

miker wrote:

> And we are now off-topic enough to interest Homeland Security. Ah well.
>
> miker

Crap, I can hear the helicopters now....

See ya in Cuba!

Pat
Old October 1st 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric

XS11E wrote:

> HEY! :-(

it's a joke :P

somebody don't like drunken drivers, some rice civic kiddies, some
grandparents behind the wheel

any whoo, did you celebrate today

http://www.gkindia.com/holidays/elderlyday.htm

fyi I'm 6yo (6 driving a mx-5, + 23 that don't count)
Old October 1st 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric

pws wrote:

> My grandma is in her '80s and drives her Accord faster than I normally
> drive in-town......She is still a pretty sharp old lady though.

scary

does she autocross?
Old October 2nd 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
> pws wrote:
>
>> My grandma is in her '80s and drives her Accord faster than I normally
>> drive in-town......She is still a pretty sharp old lady though.

> scary

yeah, a little bit....

> does she autocross?

Only in Florida. She hates to finish with the worst time of the group,
and has explained to me that it never happens at this one course as long
as this certain man shows up.

She didn't know his name but said that he drove a white M1 with BBS
wheels for a long time and then showed up in the latest model, also in
white. ;-)

Pat
Old October 3rd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
>> pws wrote:
>>
>>> My grandma is in her '80s and drives her Accord faster than I normally
>>> drive in-town

Sounds likely.

>>......She is still a pretty sharp old lady though.

No doubt. I hope she understands that a car is a dangerous object
that can do real damage if not to her, to the people around her.

>> scary

>yeah, a little bit....
>
>> does she autocross?

>Only in Florida. She hates to finish with the worst time of the group,
>and has explained to me that it never happens at this one course as long
>as this certain man shows up.
>
>She didn't know his name but said that he drove a white M1 with BBS
>wheels for a long time and then showed up in the latest model, also in
>white. ;-)

It would appear that this "sharp old lady" has difficulty distinguishing
what state she is in. I wonder how long it takes until we discover that
she also has difficulty distinguishing between the pedals on her car. It
is all in the genes, you know.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata

YAY - Alledged drunk driver who killed charged with MURDER laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 5 July 28th 06 05:03 PM
Yet another study says CELL PHONE DRIVERS = DRUNK DRIVERS laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 23 July 6th 06 10:16 PM
Another person murdered by a speeding drunk driver wws Driving 3 November 25th 05 08:41 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! Quick sad story. 66 6F HCS Ford Mustang 4 June 18th 05 09:55 PM