Traffic pinball in Portland, Oregon

Old January 17th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
MLOM

Default Traffic pinball in Portland, Oregon

Another fine day on the ice with FUBAR vehicle operators.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...0&f=00&fg=copy

Old January 17th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
bob zee

MLOM wrote:
> Another fine day on the ice with FUBAR vehicle operators.
>
> http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...0&f=00&fg=copy

I am sure it is a good video. I would like to see it. Too many hoops
to jump through though:

Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download
Step 2: Download Microsoft Windows Media© Player
Windows Media Player 10 is free to download
Step 3: Download Macromedia Flash Player
Macromedia Flash player is free to download

oh well
:~(

bob z.

Old January 17th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), bob zee said in
rec.autos.driving:

> MLOM wrote:
> > Another fine day on the ice with FUBAR vehicle operators.
> >
> > http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...0&f=00&fg=copy

> I am sure it is a good video. I would like to see it. Too many hoops
> to jump through though:
>
> Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download

Funny, I was able to watch it with Firefox with no problem....

--
Sincerely,

The New World Order.
Old January 17th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

bob zee wrote:

> MLOM wrote:
> > Another fine day on the ice with FUBAR vehicle operators.
> >
> > http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...0&f=00&fg=copy

> I am sure it is a good video. I would like to see it. Too many hoops
> to jump through though:
>
> Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download
> Step 2: Download Microsoft Windows Media© Player
> Windows Media Player 10 is free to download
> Step 3: Download Macromedia Flash Player
> Macromedia Flash player is free to download
>
> oh well
> :~(

Typical Microsoft.

Graham

Old January 17th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera

>>>http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...0&f=00&fg=copy

That first one made the national news this morning. It's hard to
tell because of the lens and camera angle, but I'd bet that the long
tailslide into a group of cars in an intersection is downhill, Portland
being well provided with hills.

I think most or all of the perpetrators were also getting a hard first
lesson in what an SUV does and doesn't buy you.

Something else one notices: some of these were subsequent accidents --
people piling into the scene of an earlier stall or accident -- and a
number of those sent pedestrians scattering. The end of the first
sequence, in particular, seemed to catch a number of people by surprise
who'd been crossing the street or standing around in the middle of the
street eyeballing the aftermath of the earlier accident.

Fortunately I saw this from a city just south of the freeze line in the
storn du jour. A few people went out and found the patches of black
ice, but most folks seemed to exercise common sense and made it
through the morning commute undamaged... or just had a second cup of
coffee in their own kitchens until things got better. (Sometimes the
most valuable thing thing the old-timers know about the bad driving
conditions peculiar to their area is when to stay home!)

>> I would like to see it. Too many hoops to jump through though:

None of the browsers are perfect, but Firefox for the Mac
(http://www.getfirefox.com) and whatever free plug-ins I've plugged
into it over time served me well.

--Joe

Old January 18th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

necromancer wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), bob zee said in
> rec.autos.driving:

>> Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
>> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download

> Funny, I was able to watch it with Firefox with no problem....

Yeah, supposedly I need Firefox 1.5 despite the fact that Seamonkey 1.1b
runs off of a later version of the Mozilla source.
Old January 18th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> "Ad absurdum per aspera" > said

> >That first one made the national news this morning. It's hard to
> >tell because of the lens and camera angle, but I'd bet that the long
> >tailslide into a group of cars in an intersection is downhill, Portland
> >being well provided with hills.

> Maybe, but that doesn't explain the first vehicle, which slides down
> one hill, makes a 90 degree turn, and then slides backwards down a
> second hill. I strongly suspect that gravity had some solid assistance
> from the driver's right foot causing the drive wheels to alternately
> spin and lock up.

I'm sure I heard the driver 'gun' the engine at least once. How crazy is that ?

Graham

Old January 18th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> necromancer > said
> >Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), bob zee said
> >>
> >> I am sure it is a good video. I would like to see it. Too many hoops
> >> to jump through though:
> >>
> >> Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
> >> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download

> >Funny, I was able to watch it with Firefox with no problem....

> Same here.

Opera wouldn't comply for me - I had to revert to IE for it.

Graham

Old January 18th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> P.S. Firefox 2.0 is out now.

I know, but it doesn't have a newsreader, unlike Seamonkey
Old January 18th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Ever see someone stuck in the snow? They will sit there and floor the
> pedal, even though the wheel is just spinning and burning off all
> their rubber. People are STUPID!!!

You need traction to burn rubber. The surface is lubricated with snow...