Inspection II

Old November 16th 04, 05:43 AM
pp

Default Inspection II

My recently purchased '96 328i has 52k KMS on the clock.
According to the logs, it has only had 1 inspection 1 carried out so
far.(aside from oil changes)
That was around the 25k mark. Should i be right in thinking that inspection
2 service light should be up?
At the moment all but one green light is on.

I had a oil service recently when i bought it, perhaps they reset the
inspection lights as well as the oil service lights(dodgy dealer)?
Should i just do an inspection2 anyway, then reset the SI.?
Thanks.

Old November 16th 04, 08:30 PM
Al

> That was around the 25k mark. Should i be right in thinking that
> inspection 2 service light should be up?
> At the moment all but one green light is on.

It depends. I generally find that the SILs reflect the miles that I'm
doing. Loads of short journeys knock the greens off really quickly, but
long mway hauls every day keep the greens alight. Personally I just check
the oil on the dipstick. If it doesn't look clean I change it!

> Should i just do an inspection2 anyway, then reset the SI.?

Do what you feel happy with. How much does peace of mind cost? A few
hundred dollars? At least you'll know when the last full inspection was
done :-)

Al.
Old November 16th 04, 08:46 PM
Fred W

pp wrote:
> My recently purchased '96 328i has 52k KMS on the clock.
> According to the logs, it has only had 1 inspection 1 carried out so
> far.(aside from oil changes)
> That was around the 25k mark. Should i be right in thinking that inspection
> 2 service light should be up?
> At the moment all but one green light is on.
>
> I had a oil service recently when i bought it, perhaps they reset the
> inspection lights as well as the oil service lights(dodgy dealer)?
> Should i just do an inspection2 anyway, then reset the SI.?
> Thanks.

Yes, you have it right. The service timer should be coming up on the
Inspection II now. It may still come up The Service Insp would normally
show up when the last green LED goes out.

In any case, you should do the service inspection 2 work and do the 15
second reset to be sure you are starting from a clean slate. That is
what I have always done with my used cars as I never know what had been
done before (regardless of what the service records showed)

-Fred W
Old November 17th 04, 02:47 AM
pp

Thanks.
Besides whats listed in the Bentley book, is there anything else that BMW
dealer would do at an insepction 2? Software upgrades? Fuel injector
cleaning? Is there any rule on a/c and regassing, or do you just get it done
when it doesn't get cool anymore.?

I plan on doing the inspection 2 myself.
Cheers.

Old November 19th 04, 04:37 PM
Fred W

pp wrote:
> Thanks.
> Besides whats listed in the Bentley book, is there anything else that BMW
> dealer would do at an insepction 2? Software upgrades? Fuel injector
> cleaning? Is there any rule on a/c and regassing, or do you just get it done
> when it doesn't get cool anymore.?
>
> I plan on doing the inspection 2 myself.
> Cheers.

No. The bentley manuals tell you to do the same stuff the dealer would
do. It's also documented in the owners manuals somewhere.

-Fred W