Brera Courtesy Car

Old February 10th 09, 12:31 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers[_2_]

Default Brera Courtesy Car

Couple of weeks ago a chap found himself down our cul-de-sac in error and
suffered a diabetes episode, while reversing out he caught (very slightly)
the front of my GT.

He appeared as drunk as a lord, however the woman (later discovered to be
his sister) explained the diabetes thing. They came in the house,
paramedics and police were called and eventually all was well.

Anyhoo, the fact the damage was minor is neither here nor there, I naturally
wanted it properly repaired so the GT went in yesterday to my insurer's
approved repairer (3 days I was told it would take.) and I was given a Brera
as a replacement.

Hmmm, ever since they came out I wasn't sure about the proportions at the
rear, and having driven it round I have to say I really don't like it.
Silver, '57' reg, 9K on the clock.
Far too many internal squeaks and rattles, I don't like the centre console
which is a vast expanse of brushed aluminium, the boot release is tucked
away inside the armrest cubby hole (although the armrest is airconditioned
inside for keeping a couple of small cans cold), the armrest is too low to
be of any use as is the armrest on the door.

Seats aren't as comfortable as the GT. There's a hideous chip-protector
sticker in front of each of the rear wheel arches (can't say whether these
are aftermarket or standard), that I assume started their life clear but are
now yellowing.

I like the panoramic sun thingy hiding behing an electric headlining.

The key is one of those card things inserted into the dash, meaning you
can't have it on a keyring with your other keys as they'd dangle and scratch
the console. Start button is a nice touch, failed first attempt as I didn't
know you had to depress the clutch.

I thought rear space wasn't generous in the GT, good grief, in my normal
driving position my seat touches the rear seat.

I'd love to hear comments from Brera owners who think I've lost it.

All the best

Alan
--
Saw a funeral procession wandering round a cemetary for ages the other day.
Obviously lost the plot.

Old February 10th 09, 03:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Alan Rogers wrote:
> Couple of weeks ago a chap found himself down our cul-de-sac in error and
> suffered a diabetes episode, while reversing out he caught (very slightly)
> the front of my GT.
>
> He appeared as drunk as a lord, however the woman (later discovered to be
> his sister) explained the diabetes thing. They came in the house,
> paramedics and police were called and eventually all was well.
>
> Anyhoo, the fact the damage was minor is neither here nor there, I naturally
> wanted it properly repaired so the GT went in yesterday to my insurer's
> approved repairer (3 days I was told it would take.) and I was given a Brera
> as a replacement.
>
> Hmmm, ever since they came out I wasn't sure about the proportions at the
> rear,

I always thought it had a fat arse, myself.

I quite fancy a GT next

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old February 11th 09, 10:23 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

It's an Alfa..you don't want to be setting your sights on "perfection"
with those. Presumably, as the Brera's a rear-ended 159, your comments
would apply to the 159 too.

Regarding rattles, squeaks and other noises..it's a cold winter and
I've never been in an Alfa that wasn't a lot noisier in winter than
summer. I think some call it character but it's just imperfect design
allied to imperfect build..IMHO.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject will be auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old February 11th 09, 06:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers[_2_]

> It's an Alfa..you don't want to be setting your sights on "perfection"
> with those. Presumably, as the Brera's a rear-ended 159, your comments
> would apply to the 159 too.

Probably. Apart from the rear leg room, at least it's possible to sit in
the back of a 159. Having had it for a few days I'm at a loss to know where
the Brera sits in the market, it's certainly not a 2 seater sports coupe,
nor is it tourer, nor is it a family hatchback.

I can't think of a reason to buy one. I remember well a promo photo they
were drooling and scrapping over on Top Gear, wonder what they think of it
now? Although I also remember an episode where they put it up against a
couple of other forgettable cars, and the bottom line was it's the car
they'd have in preference to whatever the other cars were.

It's gone back now, glad to see the back of it.. I mean the front, don't
like the back. Oh, and the GT is spotless and beautiful and, and.....
everything.

Alan

GT or Brera? Eddie Bermuda Alfa Romeo 13 August 12th 07 10:18 AM
Brera Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 1 January 7th 06 10:20 PM
Brera, says it all. Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 3 July 19th 05 11:42 PM
Brera [email protected] Alfa Romeo 2 July 2nd 05 10:02 PM
Brera Graham Taylor Alfa Romeo 2 November 4th 04 11:07 PM