Tire thoughts/suggestions?

Old December 14th 04, 12:41 AM
Cory Dunkle

Default Tire thoughts/suggestions?

I am going to get new tires most likely Friday. I'm having a hard time
deciding what tires to get. One that was recommended to me as a good daily
driver tire that bites well in the snow is the Futura Plus Touring SE in
P225/70R15 which should be about $65 mounted and balanced. That fits my
budget and it seems like a pretty good tire.
http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/...ouring_se.html

Anything else I should be looking at? Anything better in the ballpark of
that price or not too much more expensive? Tires will be going on my '68
Galaxie 500 which is driver daily year round in NJ (so it does see snow). My
idler arm should get here Thursday so I can put that on Thursday evening or
Friday morning and get tires Friday or Saturday.

Cory

Old December 14th 04, 01:08 AM
Brent P

In article >, Cory Dunkle wrote:
> I am going to get new tires most likely Friday. I'm having a hard time
> deciding what tires to get. One that was recommended to me as a good daily
> driver tire that bites well in the snow is the Futura Plus Touring SE in
> P225/70R15 which should be about $65 mounted and balanced. That fits my
> budget and it seems like a pretty good tire.
> http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/...ouring_se.html

Does sliding your galaxie into something fit your budget? I wouldn't run
even the torqueless wonder car on pep boys specials.

Look up some tires on tirerack. You should be able to get something in
the $40-50 a tire range that's much better than pep boy specials. I put
some sumimotos on the mav and they easily can handle more than the
suspension and brakes can throw at em. They were $42 a tire as I
remember. But they aren't all seasons or anything.

Old December 14th 04, 01:08 AM
Brent P

Old December 14th 04, 01:22 AM
Dave C.

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message
>I am going to get new tires most likely Friday. I'm having a hard time
> deciding what tires to get. One that was recommended to me as a good daily
> driver tire that bites well in the snow is the Futura Plus Touring SE in
> P225/70R15 which should be about $65 mounted and balanced. That fits my
> budget and it seems like a pretty good tire.
> http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/...ouring_se.html
>
> Anything else I should be looking at? Anything better in the ballpark of
> that price or not too much more expensive? Tires will be going on my '68
> Galaxie 500 which is driver daily year round in NJ (so it does see snow).
> My
> idler arm should get here Thursday so I can put that on Thursday evening
> or
> Friday morning and get tires Friday or Saturday.
>
> Cory

OK, you need to understand certain terms before you buy. TOURING is
low-traction, low noise, high tread wear. (read: SUCKS IN SNOW) Whoever
told you that a touring tire will be good in snow LIED. There might be some
touring tires that don't suck raw eggs in snow, but none of them will be
GOOD in snow. You don't want performance or touring tires. Snow tires
would be best for snow, but you can't run them all year. Anything else will
be a bit of a compromise, but you should be looking for passenger tires or
even off-road/all terrain tires. These tires are NOT high-mileage and NOT
low-noise. That's GOOD, as they actually have TRACTION.

Basically, tires are designed to have good traction, OR they are designed to
have (long treadlife, low rolling resistance and low noise). In some cases,
tire manufacturers try to make a tire do everything (good traction and long
tread life), and end up with tires that suck in EVERY way. More often, the
tire that tries to be everything has good treadlife and NO grip in snow or
rain.

For what you need, I'd suggest you look at the Yokohama Geolandar A/T +II
for $61 a pop from www.tirerack.com If you look at the tread on that
pattern, you can tell that the wide, deep lateral grooves are going to bite
into snow very well, and the user reviews seem to reflect this. If you
order from tirerack, the shipping charges are very reasonable. Any local
tire shop should mount/balance them for about ten bucks a piece. So you are
looking at roughly $300 or a little more, total. It will kick the crap out
of the Futuras. If you rotate them every 8K or less, they should last about
40,000 miles or maybe a little more. -Dave

Old December 14th 04, 01:22 AM
Dave C.

Old December 14th 04, 02:23 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Dave C." > wrote in message

> "Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message
> >I am going to get new tires most likely Friday. I'm having a hard time
> > deciding what tires to get. One that was recommended to me as a good

daily
> > driver tire that bites well in the snow is the Futura Plus Touring SE in
> > P225/70R15 which should be about $65 mounted and balanced. That fits my
> > budget and it seems like a pretty good tire.
> > http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/...ouring_se.html
> >
> > Anything else I should be looking at? Anything better in the ballpark of
> > that price or not too much more expensive? Tires will be going on my '68
> > Galaxie 500 which is driver daily year round in NJ (so it does see

snow).
> > My
> > idler arm should get here Thursday so I can put that on Thursday evening
> > or
> > Friday morning and get tires Friday or Saturday.
> >
> > Cory
> >

> OK, you need to understand certain terms before you buy. TOURING is
> low-traction, low noise, high tread wear. (read: SUCKS IN SNOW) Whoever
> told you that a touring tire will be good in snow LIED. There might be

some
> touring tires that don't suck raw eggs in snow, but none of them will be
> GOOD in snow. You don't want performance or touring tires. Snow tires
> would be best for snow, but you can't run them all year. Anything else

will
> be a bit of a compromise, but you should be looking for passenger tires or
> even off-road/all terrain tires. These tires are NOT high-mileage and NOT
> low-noise. That's GOOD, as they actually have TRACTION.

I was wondering what the designations in tires meant. Originally I was
looking at Passenger All-Season tires until this person mentioned the
Futura. It sounds to me like you just hate Touring tires, but probably for
good reason. Originally I was looking at Goodyears.

> For what you need, I'd suggest you look at the Yokohama Geolandar A/T +II
> for $61 a pop from www.tirerack.com If you look at the tread on that
> pattern, you can tell that the wide, deep lateral grooves are going to

bite
> into snow very well, and the user reviews seem to reflect this. If you
> order from tirerack, the shipping charges are very reasonable. Any local
> tire shop should mount/balance them for about ten bucks a piece. So you

are
> looking at roughly $300 or a little more, total. It will kick the crap

out
> of the Futuras. If you rotate them every 8K or less, they should last

about
> 40,000 miles or maybe a little more. -Dave

That's a reasonable price... I'll check out what shipping would be vs.
getting some local. I'd rather spend a little more and have a better tire.
Tires are something I know little about. I know all about the mechanicals of
the car and how to fix it, but like automatic transmissions, tires are a
mystery to me. heh heh I'm trying to learn and not make a bad choice.

Cory

Old December 14th 04, 02:23 AM
Cory Dunkle

Old December 14th 04, 03:14 AM
Brent P

In article >, Cory Dunkle wrote:

> That's a reasonable price... I'll check out what shipping would be vs.
> getting some local. I'd rather spend a little more and have a better tire.
> Tires are something I know little about. I know all about the mechanicals of
> the car and how to fix it, but like automatic transmissions, tires are a
> mystery to me. heh heh I'm trying to learn and not make a bad choice.

Don't forget sales tax in your calculation. Tire rack is in indiana.

Old December 14th 04, 03:14 AM
Brent P

Old December 14th 04, 03:45 AM
Malcolm

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message

> That's a reasonable price... I'll check out what shipping would be vs.
> getting some local. I'd rather spend a little more and have a better tire.

Just as an indication, I ordered two tires for my truck from TireRack.
Shipping on each tire was $13 for ground UPS. The upside is that TireRack
has several shipping warehouses across the country. Mine came from Louisiana
(I live in Alabama) and arrived two days after I ordered them.

The tires for the Gal should be a little lighter than the All Terrain tires
I ordered (275/70R15), so your shipping would probably be a buck or two less
per tire.

--
Malcolm