1991 honda accord

Old August 3rd 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
biggt

Default 1991 honda accord

no fire to spark plugs, replaced distributor cap still no fire. my car wont
start

Old August 4th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

When was the car last tuned up (new plugs, wires, cap and
rotor, air filter, fuel filter, ignition timing checked)?

Were OEM parts used for the electrical items above?

If the car has been tuned up recently and all parts are OEM,
then the igniter (located in the distributor housing) is a
strong candidate.

Try troubleshooting per
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun

"biggt" > wrote

Old August 4th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:37:30 -0400, biggt > wrote:

>no fire to spark plugs, replaced distributor cap still no fire. my car wont
>start

take it to a mechanic. You clearly haven't the skills.
Old August 4th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 23:51:09 GMT, Elle > wrote:

>When was the car last tuned up (new plugs, wires, cap and
>rotor, air filter, fuel filter, ignition timing checked)?

>Were OEM parts used for the electrical items above?

>If the car has been tuned up recently and all parts are OEM,
>then the igniter (located in the distributor housing) is a
>strong candidate.

Why don't you just have him replace the engine? If you're going to
replace parts willy nilly with any regard to wether they need
to be replaced, you might as well just replace the engine; at least
that way you have a good chance of fixing the problem.

P.S. the coil is far more likely to die than the ignitor. However, I'd
check the engine computer for codes before doing anything.
Old August 4th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"AZ Nomad" > wrote
> On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 23:51:09 GMT, Elle
> > wrote:
>

>>When was the car last tuned up (new plugs, wires, cap and
>>rotor, air filter, fuel filter, ignition timing checked)?

>>Were OEM parts used for the electrical items above?

>>If the car has been tuned up recently and all parts are
>>OEM,
>>then the igniter (located in the distributor housing) is a
>>strong candidate.

> Why don't you just have him replace the engine? If you're
> going to
> replace parts willy nilly

I did not suggest replacing any parts at this time, son.

I am collecting information.

> with any regard to wether they need
> to be replaced, you might as well just replace the engine;
> at least
> that way you have a good chance of fixing the problem.
>
> P.S. the coil is far more likely to die than the ignitor.

No spark is more likely to be the igniter, and I'd say the
chances are about even of either dying.

> However, I'd
> check the engine computer for codes before doing anything.

I am pretty sure a dead coil or dead igniter won't set codes
on a 91.

Old August 4th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"biggt" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> no fire to spark plugs, replaced distributor cap still no fire. my car
> wont start

When you crank, does the tach needle jump up and down a tiny bit? If it's
perfectly still while you crank, then your igniter is dead. If it jiggles a
bit, then the igniter's fine.

How old are the plugs and wires?

When did this problem start? Was it sudden or has it been happening for
some time? What events immediately preceded onset of the problem?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 4th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Give a good smack underneath the dash left of the steering wheel.