gas draining from carburetor drain hose

Old July 2nd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default gas draining from carburetor drain hose

yes, I know that's what it's for). Started running very rough,
missing, won't idle. When stopped, gas drains from carb drain hose.
doesn't drain while engine running. shut gas off and stops draining.
with gas off, will drain if drain screw opened (so gas in bowl). will
drain with drain screw closed if gas is on. starts easily. what the
heck is going on??

Old July 3rd 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Without having any idea of what you are working on...

anumber1,
You were right, it was a stuck float valve, probably some crud in the
gas. I am puzzled, though. If the float valve is what stops gas from
running into the carb, and gas is running into the carb, then what else
would it be besides a float valve not closing? How does Make, Model,
Year, Engine, etc change any of that?

Old July 3rd 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

wrote:

> anumber1,
> You were right, it was a stuck float valve, probably some crud in the
> gas. I am puzzled, though. If the float valve is what stops gas from
> running into the carb, and gas is running into the carb, then what else
> would it be besides a float valve not closing? How does Make, Model,
> Year, Engine, etc change any of that?

Your right it doesn't. The obvious solution to your problem was the
float. Modern cars don't have floats, so you must not have one those.
Your mention of carb drain hose and drain screw suggest and That it
"starts easily" indicates an updraft carburetor. There hasn't been a car
built with one of those in 60 years. So one might guess you are talking
about a very old car or an old tractor or riding lawn mower.
That's if your statements can be believed, but this is usenet and one
can only guess if the poster is on the level or just spouting some
nonsense he read somewhere else on the web. If you really want help it
pays not to be to cryptic.

-jim

98 Intrepid oil use, leaking by cap? Dave Chrysler 4 October 9th 05 06:00 PM
Collapsed PCV Hose Edward Lee Saturn 1 September 19th 05 12:53 PM
Changing a upper rad hose rajp Technology 7 June 5th 05 12:25 AM
'79 CJ5 top radiator hose. Ron Croonenberg Jeep 3 May 9th 05 07:56 PM
Suzuki Sidekick unknown hose Mr_Fehrenheit 4x4 3 April 18th 05 11:19 PM