Toyota Landcruise 4*4 comerical. CV joints issue.

Old March 22nd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Toyota Landcruise 4*4 comerical. CV joints issue.

Hi
I recently purchased a 2001 Toyota landcruise jeep (Ireland). It
currenyly has 50000 miles on the clock. It had very little of road
use. I have notced a knocking sound from the front wheels of the jeep
and since dicovered it's probably the CV joints which need to be
replaced.
Is it normal for CV joints to be replaced on a jeep with only 50000
miles on the clock. The jeep is still covered my garage, and is due to
be serviced within a few weeks. Will I have to pay for the new parts?

Thanks in advance

Old March 22nd 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

You need to read your 'warranty' papers carefully. Lots don't cover
'normal wear and tear' parts....

50K is pretty low to have bad CV joints on your Toyota and 'Jeeps' have
u-joints up front, not CV joints..... It's not a cheap repair on either
vehicle.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 22nd 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

aido wrote:
> Hi
> I recently purchased a 2001 Toyota landcruise jeep (Ireland).

Toyota makes Jeeps?
I bet you ride a Suzuki Sportster too.

LOL

BTW, CV joints are expensive & messy to replace. Not hard, just
expensive & messy. Good luck.
Old March 23rd 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

A Toyota is not a Jeep.

ups.com...

Old March 24th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

......Is it normal for CV joints to be replaced on a jeep with only
50000 miles on the clock. ....... A
u-joint wares-out faster for-excessive-flexing reasons/uphill
driveways/curbs/hillcliming/'L.A.storm-drain-streets/dips/potholes/......

Old March 25th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

aido wrote:

> Hi
> I recently purchased a 2001 Toyota landcruise jeep (Ireland).

Its not a jeep.

> It currenyly has 50000 miles on the clock. It had very little of road
> use. I have notced a knocking sound from the front wheels of the jeep
> and since dicovered it's probably the CV joints which need to be
> replaced.
> Is it normal for CV joints to be replaced on a jeep with only 50000
> miles on the clock.

No. Not if maintained properly (lubricated). Its possible that the front
end alignment may be mis-adjusted. The CV joints used on Landcruisers
(and other vehicles) can be damaged if the steering stops are
mis-adjusted and the joints are flexed beyond their maximum design
angle.

Have the front end alignment (particularly the steering geometry)
checked when you have the joints repaired.

> The jeep is still covered my garage, and is due to
> be serviced within a few weeks. Will I have to pay for the new parts?

That depends on why they failed.

--
Paul Hovnanian
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)