How much weight can a '98 GTI roof bear?

Old March 17th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default How much weight can a '98 GTI roof bear?

I got one of those soft Thule roof bags for a cross country (US) trip, but
am disappointed on how the bag does not stand on top of the racks when
loaded (the foam inserts hold maybe 10 lbs before buckling in) but rests on
the roof itself.

So, I am wondering how much weight is too much. I will definitely put the
least dense items up there, but don't want the roof to buckle in (neither do
I want to trial and error to figure out the weight that will buckle it in).
I could not find any specs on this and would appreciate if anyone knows the
weight overall and/or psi the roof will hold without any damage to it.

Thanks
Rex
(yes I know I should be strapped to the roof myself for putting a roof rack
on a GTI, but alas...)

Old March 17th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Why not place a small thin piece of plywood in the bottom of it?

Cecil

news

Old March 17th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

> Why not place a small thin piece of plywood in the bottom of it?

Good idea -- 1/4" lauan ply, or even tempered hardboard -- such as
Masonite -- would probably do the trick and add negligible weight.
Old March 18th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

>> Why not place a small thin piece of plywood in the bottom of it?
>
> Good idea -- 1/4" lauan ply, or even tempered hardboard -- such as
> Masonite -- would probably do the trick and add negligible weight.

Hmm, but what will hold the board in place? Shouldn't I worry that constant
bumping and rattling would slide the board off the rack and the whole thing
will fall on the roof? The roof bag is attached to the rack by straps. And
although they are strong enough that the bag won't fly off altogether, there
is enough flex in the straps + the bag that one or two corners might slip
down.

I don't really know though. I should try a board and see if looks precarious
or not.

Thanks folks
Rex

Old March 18th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On or about 3/17/2006 7:11 PM, it came to pass that Rex Vincere wrote:
>>> Why not place a small thin piece of plywood in the bottom of it?

>> Good idea -- 1/4" lauan ply, or even tempered hardboard -- such as
>> Masonite -- would probably do the trick and add negligible weight.

> Hmm, but what will hold the board in place? Shouldn't I worry that constant
> bumping and rattling would slide the board off the rack and the whole thing
> will fall on the roof? The roof bag is attached to the rack by straps. And
> although they are strong enough that the bag won't fly off altogether, there
> is enough flex in the straps + the bag that one or two corners might slip
> down.
>
> I don't really know though. I should try a board and see if looks precarious
> or not.
>
> Thanks folks
> Rex

Could not resist posting this link
http://www.ltv-vwc.org.uk/wheelspin/...1/Overload.htm
Old March 18th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Rex Vincere wrote:
>>>Why not place a small thin piece of plywood in the bottom of it?

>>Good idea -- 1/4" lauan ply, or even tempered hardboard -- such as
>>Masonite -- would probably do the trick and add negligible weight.

> Hmm, but what will hold the board in place? Shouldn't I worry that constant
> bumping and rattling would slide the board off the rack and the whole thing
> will fall on the roof? The roof bag is attached to the rack by straps. And
> although they are strong enough that the bag won't fly off altogether, there
> is enough flex in the straps + the bag that one or two corners might slip
> down.
>
> I don't really know though. I should try a board and see if looks precarious
> or not.
>
> Thanks folks
> Rex

just use some real thin lauan and drill a small hole on either side of
the cross pieces of the roof rack, use zip ties to secure it.

that's the best that I could come up with at 3:40 AM...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 18th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Amazing!! There is just no limit to the stupidity of some people!

Old March 20th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Here is what I am thinking now combining all ideas:
- take a piece of lauan and rest it on the rack:
- drill holes on the lauan and zip tie them to the rack
- cut some slits on the lauan where the straps for the roof bag would go
- strap the bag to the rack and the lauan together

This looks more convenient than putting a lauan inside the bag.
Anybody see any problems with this setup?

Rex

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message

>>>Good idea -- 1/4" lauan ply, or even tempered hardboard -- such as
>>>Masonite -- would probably do the trick and add negligible weight.

>> Hmm, but what will hold the board in place? Shouldn't I worry that
>> constant bumping and rattling would slide the board off the rack and the
>> whole thing will fall on the roof? The roof bag is attached to the rack
>> by straps. And although they are strong enough that the bag won't fly off
>> altogether, there is enough flex in the straps + the bag that one or two
>> corners might slip down.
>>
>> I don't really know though. I should try a board and see if looks
>> precarious or not.
>>
>> Thanks folks
>> Rex

> just use some real thin lauan and drill a small hole on either side of the
> cross pieces of the roof rack, use zip ties to secure it.
>
> that's the best that I could come up with at 3:40 AM...
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

How much weight can the roof rack support and suggestions....? Michael Horowitz Ford Explorer 4 February 24th 06 09:14 PM
Sunroof Question bimbim BMW 7 June 24th 05 08:11 AM
Up-Rated Towing Suspension limeybiker Ford Explorer 30 March 12th 05 03:46 PM
1700lbs in a V-6 pickup? Steve General 7 May 25th 04 03:39 PM
Cost of repair Audi BMW Saab...(still crossposting) Matt O'Toole Audi 18 May 13th 04 09:41 PM