1997 cherokee heater fan blowing fuses

Old March 16th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default 1997 cherokee heater fan blowing fuses

It happens at random times, with no obvious cause, I have changed the
resistor pack but to no avail. Is there a relay in this circuit?
My next option would seem to be to remove the dash to get to the fan
unit.

Old March 16th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

The fan is under the hood. You can check it's draw there.

There is a relay for the high speed.

Did you already smoke out the resistor pack? The switch contact is also
suspect for a melt and bad connection causing heat and caused by heat
that can melt fuses out.

I believe the rear window defroster is on the same fuse in our
Cherokee. That has caused strange fuse blows in ours.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 22nd 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

don't understand what you mean "smoke out", (I'm English), but I have
put in a new resistor pack, so I can rule that out. I bought a service
manual cd but have just found that although my Jeep was registered
1/1/1997, it is actually a 1996 model so the cd is useless, I need to
get the info for a 1996 model now.
:-(

Old March 22nd 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

When the heater switch or resistor pack blows from too much power draw
on a flaky connection, they can literally 'smoke out'. When the switch
went in our Cherokee, we were way out in the Canadian bush and it sure
let the smoke out. I was running for a fire extinguisher because it
looked like the whole dash might go up in flames.

It still didn't blow the 25A fuse.....

The resistor pack failure is an 'effect', not a cause of trouble
normally. Normally when the resistor pack fails, the heater motor is on
it's way out.

I would be suspecting your heater motor is drawing too much power. Does
it make any odd noises?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

1997 jeep cherokee loredo milli Jeep 3 January 27th 06 11:51 PM
Heater Core 1997 Passat VR6 psheehan VW water cooled 12 December 16th 05 06:49 PM
1997 Jeep Cherokee hesitates after warmed up...... [email protected] Chrysler 1 September 22nd 05 12:48 PM
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Keyless Remote Programing Key Fob [email protected] Chrysler 0 June 6th 05 03:47 PM
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee shudders while turning Mike R Jeep 4 March 19th 05 02:24 PM