Cruise Control Problem

Old February 1st 06, 06:33 AM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.tech

Default Cruise Control Problem

Back in November, I turned on my windshield wipers one morning, they
didn't come on and I assumed I had something going on with the switch.
Never went any further with that line of thinking because the next
time I used the vehicle, the wipers worked fine and have ever since.

On my last trip on the freeway however, for whatever reason I could
not get my cruise control to work (though everything else is working
fine). Guess I have to think that perhaps something is going on in
that turn signal switch/harness since that's my wiper control, turn
signal switch, cruise control stuff and so on...

So... Does this sound familiar to anyone? I haven't looked for a
blown fuse or anything yet - thought I'd post here for any ideas since
the problem seems a bit weird (either the switch or a fuse ???) TIA
for any help or advice...

Chris
Old February 1st 06, 06:35 AM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.tech

Oh yez... The vehicle in question is a 1997 GMC Suburban

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:33:01 -0800, cover

Old February 1st 06, 06:54 AM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.tech

Probably best to post this in the tech group, you'll get more help in
there

------------------------------------
Mike Mangione
http://www.carforums.net

Old February 1st 06, 07:00 AM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:35:55 -0800, cover
> wrote:

>Oh yez... The vehicle in question is a 1997 GMC Suburban
>
>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:33:01 -0800, cover
> wrote:
>
>>Back in November, I turned on my windshield wipers one morning, they
>>didn't come on and I assumed I had something going on with the switch.
>>Never went any further with that line of thinking because the next
>>time I used the vehicle, the wipers worked fine and have ever since.
>>
>>On my last trip on the freeway however, for whatever reason I could
>>not get my cruise control to work (though everything else is working
>>fine). Guess I have to think that perhaps something is going on in
>>that turn signal switch/harness since that's my wiper control, turn
>>signal switch, cruise control stuff and so on...
>>
>>So... Does this sound familiar to anyone? I haven't looked for a
>>blown fuse or anything yet - thought I'd post here for any ideas since
>>the problem seems a bit weird (either the switch or a fuse ???) TIA
>>for any help or advice...
>>
>>Chris

I am faced with a similar problem, but in my case, it seems to be an
intermittent alternator output. Maybe you can trace your wiring with
a voltmeter. Me, I'm at my wit's end, because my circuit diagrams in
my *books* do not match the circuits in my vehicle! Not for
troubleshooting beyond the *replace this fuse* level.

This may not be an option for you, but I just dug out my Amprobe Pasar
Current Tracer, and will detach my car battery, subtituting a 9 volt
pocket battery for the transmitter power source. The transmitter
(fox) puts a pulsed RF signal on the line/wire of interest, and you
trace it with the hound ( receiver ).

This way, instead of going through 1100 wires in 20 different
harnesses, I can follow the RF signal to where it -stops- or becomes
markedly attenuated, and focus my attentions there, working =back=
from the alternator to the ignition switch, through wherever the RF
signal takes me.

I *think* there is an inexpensive version of this device at sears.
Inexpensive as in less than the sales tax I paid for this monster.
Although, over the years I've certainly recovered my cost for the
*thing.*

Get a fox and hound circuit tracer at Sears. My Amprobe kit cost IIRC
near $600 at a specialty house. You can do it for maybe...$50 ?????

Lg

Old February 1st 06, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:35:55 -0800, cover
> wrote:

>Oh yez... The vehicle in question is a 1997 GMC Suburban

GM cruise breaks wires (4 wires) at the area where they exit the stalk
and begin the routing inside the steering column. This is a common
problem. It also means removing the wheel to replace (most times but
not always) and to reroute to replacement stalk/wiring.

Pete
Old March 19th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default heater problem

Where is the door located that opens to give you heat from the heater

Old March 20th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

LOL!

Let me get out the ol crystal ball.....

Someplace in between the air intake on the hood and your feet is what
shows up clear as crystal....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

oldman353 wrote:

> Where is the door located that opens to give you heat from the heater

Ford cruise control fire problem kr0 General 0 January 11th 06 02:37 PM
Ford cruise control fire problem kr0 Driving 0 January 11th 06 02:36 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
97 Caravan Cruise Control JM Chrysler 2 May 17th 05 08:09 PM
Cruise control Problems? It DRIVES me crazy 2 Driving 72 December 22nd 04 02:37 PM