96 Geo Metro - axle shaft comes out of transaxle??

Old May 29th 05, 07:53 PM
Howard and Audrey

Default 96 Geo Metro - axle shaft comes out of transaxle??

Several weeks after the right halfshaft of a friend's 96 Geo Metro (4 cyl,
manual trans) was replaced, his car suddenly stopped. He said his brother
crawled under the car, noticed that the halfshaft had become "disconnected"
from the transaxle, and "pushed" it back into the transaxle. He did not see
the "disconnected" axle himself, and I can't see how there is enough
clearance for it to slip out of the transaxle. Everything looks tight. I
did notice a bushing of sorts (supported by a bracket on the engine) that
supports the axle shaft inside of the inner CV joint about a foot before it
reaches the transaxle. Is is possible that there is an unseen coupling in
the shaft where it goes thru the bushing that may have come apart? Any
ideas?
Thanks,
Howard

Old May 30th 05, 05:55 PM
Shep

Get it back to the shop, most likely wrong axle was installed.