Highway deaths drop to record low

Old August 14th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White[_2_]

Default Highway deaths drop to record low

Highway deaths drop to record low

Harry Stoffer
Automotive News
August 14, 2008 - 1:23 pm ET

WASHINGTON ? The U.S. highway death rate reached a historic low last year,
the Bush administration said today.
The 2007 death rate was 1.37 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, the
lowest on record, the Department of Transportation reported.

The death toll was 41,059, the lowest since 1994, Transportation Secretary
Mary Peters said in a statement.
She credited safer vehicles, aggressive law enforcement and government
programs for the improvements.
Motorcycle crashes stand out as a growing problem. Deaths were up 6.6
percent last year, the department said.

Old August 15th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-08-14, C. E. White > wrote:
> Highway deaths drop to record low
>
> Harry Stoffer
> Automotive News
> August 14, 2008 - 1:23 pm ET
>
> WASHINGTON ? The U.S. highway death rate reached a historic low last year,
> the Bush administration said today.
> The 2007 death rate was 1.37 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, the
> lowest on record, the Department of Transportation reported.
>
> The death toll was 41,059, the lowest since 1994, Transportation Secretary
> Mary Peters said in a statement.
> She credited safer vehicles, aggressive law enforcement and government
> programs for the improvements.

Government always credits their intervention, thuggary, and coercion.
Too bad that there probably aren't any reliable speed stats easily
avialable. My guess is that the trend towards higher speeds has not
stopped. Too bad lane discipline and properly set limits haven't
happened, then the roads could be even safer.

Old August 15th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Brent P wrote:
> On 2008-08-14, C. E. White > wrote:
>
>>Highway deaths drop to record low
>>
>>Harry Stoffer
>>Automotive News
>>August 14, 2008 - 1:23 pm ET
>>
>>WASHINGTON ? The U.S. highway death rate reached a historic low last year,
>>the Bush administration said today.
>>The 2007 death rate was 1.37 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, the
>>lowest on record, the Department of Transportation reported.
>>
>>The death toll was 41,059, the lowest since 1994, Transportation Secretary
>>Mary Peters said in a statement.
>>She credited safer vehicles, aggressive law enforcement and government
>>programs for the improvements.

> Government always credits their intervention, thuggary, and coercion.
> Too bad that there probably aren't any reliable speed stats easily
> avialable. My guess is that the trend towards higher speeds has not
> stopped. Too bad lane discipline and properly set limits haven't
> happened, then the roads could be even safer.

agree 100%. everything the local po-po do makes the roads LESS safe.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old August 15th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

> The U.S. highway death rate reached a historic low last year,
> the Bush administration said today.
> The 2007 death rate was 1.37 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, the
> lowest on record, the Department of Transportation reported.

Isn't that because everyone is driving Slower and Safer?

> The death toll was 41,059, the lowest since 1994, Transportation Secretary
> Mary Peters said in a statement.

That's still unacceptable. Get those stupid Sloths and MFFY drivers off
of the roads!

> She credited safer vehicles, aggressive law enforcement and government
> programs for the improvements.

How about more drivers learning how to swerve around Sloths? There
seems to be an increase in LLBing enforcement, but there are still
frequent traffic jams because of these lane-blockers.

Old August 16th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

> Highway deaths drop to record low
>
> Harry Stoffer
> Automotive News
> August 14, 2008 - 1:23 pm ET
>
> WASHINGTON ? The U.S. highway death rate reached a historic low last
> year, the Bush administration said today.
> The 2007 death rate was 1.37 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled,
> the lowest on record, the Department of Transportation reported.
>
> The death toll was 41,059, the lowest since 1994, Transportation
> Secretary Mary Peters said in a statement.
> She credited safer vehicles, aggressive law enforcement and government
> programs for the improvements.
> Motorcycle crashes stand out as a growing problem. Deaths were up 6.6
> percent last year, the department said.

No surprise here. People are driving slower and less. Just shows how easy
it is to reduce the incredible highway homicide problem. We need to lower
speed limits and enforce it with stiff penalties and also mandate license
suspension for most serious highway crimes like DUI or extreme speeding.

We could cut the highway death toll in half and save money in the process!
Old August 16th 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
necromancer[_4_]

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:32:50 -0500, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS" > wrote:

>No surprise here. People are driving slower and less. Just shows how easy
>it is to reduce the incredible highway homicide problem. We need to lower
>speed limits and enforce it with stiff penalties and also mandate license
>suspension for most serious highway crimes like DUI or extreme speeding.

What would the penalty for 16MPH over the limit (regardless of where
it occured) be?

>We could cut the highway death toll in half and save money in the process!

My time is worth more than that.

--
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS," supports letting
drunks drive:

"Yup - another scam by the automakers to increase car
prices and thereby profits for themeselves."

--"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS," 3/27/07
Ref: http://snipurl.com/1dwi4
Message ID: .net
Old August 16th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
bushlyed

On Aug 15, 10:32*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
> wrote:
> > Highway deaths drop to record low

> > Harry Stoffer
> > Automotive News
> > August 14, 2008 - 1:23 pm ET

> > WASHINGTON ? The U.S. highway death rate reached a historic low last
> > year, the Bush administration said today.
> > The 2007 death rate was 1.37 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled,
> > the lowest on record, the Department of Transportation reported.

> > The death toll was 41,059, the lowest since 1994, Transportation
> > Secretary Mary Peters said in a statement.
> > She credited safer vehicles, aggressive law enforcement and government
> > programs for the improvements.
> > Motorcycle crashes stand out as a growing problem. Deaths were up 6.6
> > percent last year, the department said.

> No surprise here. *People are driving slower and less. *Just shows how easy
> it is to reduce the incredible highway homicide problem. *We need to lower
> speed limits and enforce it with stiff penalties and also mandate license
> suspension for most serious highway crimes like DUI or extreme speeding.
>
> We could cut the highway death toll in half and save money in the process

I am all for severe penalties for drunk driving; as a civil
libertarian I want people to have the right to drink but that right
stops when it endangers the lives of others

Old August 16th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
Zigler

On Aug 16, 6:19*am, necromancer
> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:32:50 -0500, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
>
> MURDERERS" > wrote:
>
> >No surprise here. *People are driving slower and less. *Just shows how easy
> >it is to reduce the incredible highway homicide problem. *We need to lower
> >speed limits and enforce it with stiff penalties and also mandate license
> >suspension for most serious highway crimes like DUI or extreme speeding.

> What would the penalty for 16MPH over the limit (regardless of where
> it occured) be?

You get your car keys shoved up your ass... Plus a $G...

> >We could cut the highway death toll in half and save money in the process!

> My time is worth more than that.

I highly doubt it.

Old August 16th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa

On Aug 16, 5:42 am, bushlyed > wrote:

> I am all for severe penalties for drunk driving; as a civil
> libertarian I want people to have the right to drink but that right
> stops when it endangers the lives of others

For openers i'd like to see drunk driving classified as a felony. That
would be a severe penalty and wouldn't cost the taxpayers the way
prison time does.

Old August 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:08:21 -0400, "C. E. White" >
wrote:

>Highway deaths drop to record low
>
>Harry Stoffer
>Automotive News
>August 14, 2008 - 1:23 pm ET
>
>WASHINGTON ? The U.S. highway death rate reached a historic low last year,
>the Bush administration said today.
>The 2007 death rate was 1.37 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, the
>lowest on record, the Department of Transportation reported.
>
>The death toll was 41,059, the lowest since 1994, Transportation Secretary
>Mary Peters said in a statement.
>She credited safer vehicles, aggressive law enforcement and government
>programs for the improvements.
>Motorcycle crashes stand out as a growing problem. Deaths were up 6.6
>percent last year, the department said.

The thing that will make this really low is the self-driving car. Then speeds
can go up, and mistakes won't happen. Following too closely won't be a
problem. Drafting will make gas mileage go up. All kindza pluses for
self-driving cars.