'97 540i sport suspension alignment questions

Old November 17th 04, 10:06 PM
RAZ

Default '97 540i sport suspension alignment questions

This car has the sports suspension which is great, but I had it aligned on a
Beissbarth Alignment system and now the new front tires are wearing odly.
The front right inside and front left outside of the new tires are scalloped
after 5500 miles. It was set to the factory specs which is a slight positive
Toe on front and back. On this system it is +0.08inch total toe. The last
set of tires had 40,000 miles and they were perfectly square and even worn.

What would make it wear on the left side of each front tire? Anyone have
troubles getting set correctly.?

Bob

Old November 17th 04, 10:44 PM
Jim Levie

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:06:12 +0000, RAZ wrote:

> This car has the sports suspension which is great, but I had it aligned on
> a Beissbarth Alignment system and now the new front tires are wearing
> odly. The front right inside and front left outside of the new tires are
> scalloped after 5500 miles. It was set to the factory specs which is a
> slight positive Toe on front and back. On this system it is +0.08inch
> total toe. The last set of tires had 40,000 miles and they were perfectly
> square and even worn.
>
> What would make it wear on the left side of each front tire? Anyone have
> troubles getting set correctly.?

Maybe wrong camber? Asymetrical wear like you describe can't be from wrong
toe-in and would result from some other misalignment.

When the alignment was done were the control bushings checked for wear?

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old November 17th 04, 11:46 PM
RAZ

Jim,

The front struts and one control are was replaced since it has 115000 miles
since the bushing was bad. The camber was set to left -0deg 15min and
right -0deg35min.

bob

news

Old November 18th 04, 04:05 AM
Jim Levie

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:46:53 +0000, RAZ wrote:

> Jim,
>
> The front struts and one control are was replaced since it has 115000
> miles since the bushing was bad. The camber was set to left -0deg 15min
> and right -0deg35min.

At 115k miles I'd expect that the control arm bushings on both side would
need to be replaced.

Was the alignment done with the car weighted down per BMW specs?
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old November 18th 04, 04:30 AM
RAZ

Jim,

The other bushing was OK and it was weighted as specified.

news

Old November 18th 04, 05:16 AM
Jim Levie

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 04:30:26 +0000, RAZ wrote:

> Jim,
>
> The other bushing was OK and it was weighted as specified.

Well, if there are no worn suspension components it seems to me that the
camber would have to be wrong to get that sort of wear.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old November 18th 04, 11:24 AM
adder

"RAZ" > wrote in message news:<NpRmd.624135$8_6.197174@attbi_s04>...
> Jim,
>
> The front struts and one control are was replaced since it has 115000 miles
> since the bushing was bad. The camber was set to left -0deg 15min and
> right -0deg35min.
>
> bob

Probably something else is also worn (perhaps the other side?) Those
camber settings sound a bit "upright" to me but i don't know what the
facotry spec is.