Odd Popping Noise From Rear Axle (2000 323i E46 4-door)

Old May 5th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Odd Popping Noise From Rear Axle (2000 323i E46 4-door)

Hello

Im new to this usenet thing so i don't really know the netiquette
behind it, i do appologize in advance.

So here is the scenario:
2000 BMW E46 323i 4-door with 81000 miles on it.
This noise has been happening off and on for the past year or so and
shops can't figure out what it is.
It basically sounds like a "a tennis ball being hit with a racket but
more metallic".
The popping gets faster as I accelerate but it stops around 40mph.
The noise does not happen when i coast, only when i step on the
accelerator.

One interesting observation, but hardly scientifically tested is, that
the noise went away for a few days and when i went to fill up my tank,
I checked my air(last time i checked was around 2 weeks prior) and it
was at 28psi. I filled it to 34psi all the way around, and the
popping noise came back.

Any ideas?

Also, today I will drive it in different gears (its an auto with
"steptronic") and see if it occurs only on particular gears.

Lastly, an off topic question. Has anyone taken out their A/C
faceplace? Do you know how far back it goes or is it just a surface
thing.

The reason I ask is, I got the crazy idea to remount the faceplace on
to two hinges on the bottom so i could hide an LCD where the A/C is,
and have the A/C faceplate "pop down" when I want the LCD screen to
appear. Just an idea.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Old May 5th 07, 06:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 5 May 2007 10:24:39 -0700, "
> wrote:

>Hello
>
>Im new to this usenet thing so i don't really know the netiquette
>behind it, i do appologize in advance.
>
>So here is the scenario:
>2000 BMW E46 323i 4-door with 81000 miles on it.
>This noise has been happening off and on for the past year or so and
>shops can't figure out what it is.
>It basically sounds like a "a tennis ball being hit with a racket but
>more metallic".
>The popping gets faster as I accelerate but it stops around 40mph.
>The noise does not happen when i coast, only when i step on the
>accelerator.
>
>One interesting observation, but hardly scientifically tested is, that
>the noise went away for a few days and when i went to fill up my tank,
>I checked my air(last time i checked was around 2 weeks prior) and it
>was at 28psi. I filled it to 34psi all the way around, and the
>popping noise came back.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Also, today I will drive it in different gears (its an auto with
>"steptronic") and see if it occurs only on particular gears.
>

>Lastly, an off topic question. Has anyone taken out their A/C
>faceplace? Do you know how far back it goes or is it just a surface
>thing.
>
>The reason I ask is, I got the crazy idea to remount the faceplace on
>to two hinges on the bottom so i could hide an LCD where the A/C is,
>and have the A/C faceplate "pop down" when I want the LCD screen to
>appear. Just an idea.
>
>Thank you all very much for your help.

Stupid question but have you got the same size tyres on both back wheels?

Have you checked the diff oil level lately?

Sounds a bit like CV joints on the rear drive shafts. Remember thes do wear on
oneplace only and when the car changes attitude on acceleration they move to a
slightly different angle and the balls will ride over the wear ridges and sound
like metallick clicking.

The rear drive shafts would be the first thing I would investigate followed by
the propshaft then the diff unit - you might have a broken tooth on one of the
planetry idler gears or even a worn thrust washer/bearing.

Steve
Old May 6th 07, 04:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Yep same tires on all four wheels. I don't want to distract but one
of the "nuts" is missing on the left wheel.

I shall check the Diff (I assume is Differential) Oil and then take
this checklist into the shop and see what they have to say.

and CV stands for?

Lastly I will see if faster or slower accelerations with more attitude
change will activate or deactivate this.

Oh....also, I drove in different gears and the popping was
intermittent in all of the gears. Maybe less when i accelerate from 4
or 5, but that could be because the car's attitude changed less.

Old May 6th 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

> wrote
> Yep same tires on all four wheels. I don't want to distract but one
> of the "nuts" is missing on the left wheel.
>
> I shall check the Diff (I assume is Differential) Oil and then take
> this checklist into the shop and see what they have to say.
>
> and CV stands for?

Constant Velocity Joint. It's the two universal joints that are on each
end of the half-shaft (one near the differential, one near the wheel).
They click when they wear out.

> Lastly I will see if faster or slower accelerations with more attitude
> change will activate or deactivate this.
>
> Oh....also, I drove in different gears and the popping was
> intermittent in all of the gears. Maybe less when i accelerate from 4
> or 5, but that could be because the car's attitude changed less.

You know, it's possible that you have a rear subframe mounting
bracket problem. Some E46 cars have had the metal where the
bolts holding the subframe (it supports the differential) break.
The popping noise could be that. Go to:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TDR4675412
and see if any of the pictures look like your under-body.

FloydR

Old May 7th 07, 11:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 6 May 2007 08:26:35 -0700, "Floyd Rogers" >
wrote:

> wrote
>> Yep same tires on all four wheels. I don't want to distract but one
>> of the "nuts" is missing on the left wheel.
>>
>> I shall check the Diff (I assume is Differential) Oil and then take
>> this checklist into the shop and see what they have to say.
>>
>> and CV stands for?

>Constant Velocity Joint. It's the two universal joints that are on each
>end of the half-shaft (one near the differential, one near the wheel).
>They click when they wear out.
>
>> Lastly I will see if faster or slower accelerations with more attitude
>> change will activate or deactivate this.
>>
>> Oh....also, I drove in different gears and the popping was
>> intermittent in all of the gears. Maybe less when i accelerate from 4
>> or 5, but that could be because the car's attitude changed less.

>You know, it's possible that you have a rear subframe mounting
>bracket problem. Some E46 cars have had the metal where the
>bolts holding the subframe (it supports the differential) break.
>The popping noise could be that. Go to:
>http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TDR4675412
>and see if any of the pictures look like your under-body.
>
>FloydR

If you have the alloy rear subframe then these are known to corrode and break?

Definitely worth a good look!

Rear axle noise '02 GC Snowman[_2_] Jeep 7 March 8th 07 08:14 PM
Noise in 9" Ford rear axle c[_1_] Jeep 14 September 22nd 06 01:38 AM
'91' XJ: Rear differential/axle noise Doug Jeep 3 June 17th 05 10:45 PM
Rear Axle Noise M C BMW 1 April 21st 05 10:09 PM
CR-V rear wheel/axle noise? Melinda 4x4 3 July 6th 04 05:48 AM