whats more fun traction on or off

Old August 11th 08, 04:54 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
rebco10

Default whats more fun traction on or off

I love taking my car and checking out the limits with traction off
(not good for small area) and then turning it on and going around
these small turns.

Do it with the system off then on right after each other and you can
really see how the car helps you.

Traction off. you need to concentrate, slide and really work. fun and
loose.

Traction on. Car seems to do almost everything and you just bring car
to limit. fun and you look good without working.
Old August 11th 08, 03:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"rebco10" > wrote in message
>I love taking my car and checking out the limits with traction off
> (not good for small area) and then turning it on and going around
> these small turns.
>
> Do it with the system off then on right after each other and you can
> really see how the car helps you.
>
> Traction off. you need to concentrate, slide and really work. fun and
> loose.
>
> Traction on. Car seems to do almost everything and you just bring car
> to limit. fun and you look good without working.

I turn off the traction control right after I start the car like it was on a
checklist, I find it really gets in the way the last thing I want when I am
turning left across traffic or accelerating to join flow (I live off a busy
highway too) is feeling the gas petal pushing back on my foot, a little
wheel spin helps in so many circumstances and it sure helps in tight
U-turns(hehe). The only time I turn it on is in the wet, where it is almost
required as the car will break loose even in fifth gear with too much
throttle. And on 'spirited' drives it really slows me down but I might not
be the norm as I grew up racing dirt track and am used to a car sliding
around. Perhaps the newer cars do a better job of it? I just don't like it
in my C4 unless in the wet.

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE

Old August 11th 08, 08:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Butcher" > wrote in message

> "rebco10" > wrote in message
>>I love taking my car and checking out the limits with traction off
>> (not good for small area) and then turning it on and going around
>> these small turns.
>>
>> Do it with the system off then on right after each other and you can
>> really see how the car helps you.
>>
>> Traction off. you need to concentrate, slide and really work. fun and
>> loose.
>>
>> Traction on. Car seems to do almost everything and you just bring car
>> to limit. fun and you look good without working.

> I turn off the traction control right after I start the car like it was on
> a checklist, I find it really gets in the way the last thing I want when I
> am turning left across traffic or accelerating to join flow (I live off a
> busy highway too) is feeling the gas petal pushing back on my foot, a
> little wheel spin helps in so many circumstances and it sure helps in
> tight U-turns(hehe). The only time I turn it on is in the wet, where it
> is almost required as the car will break loose even in fifth gear with too
> much throttle. And on 'spirited' drives it really slows me down but I
> might not be the norm as I grew up racing dirt track and am used to a car
> sliding around. Perhaps the newer cars do a better job of it? I just
> don't like it in my C4 unless in the wet.
>
> Butcher
> '96 LT-4 CE

Agreed. After the 1-4 skip shift, which I have defeated with one of those
cheap devices, it's the most annoying thing about the car. I sometimes
forget to override it and as soon as it does its thing I mutter under my
breath, reach over and shut it off.

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp, both tops

Old August 12th 08, 02:46 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Bob I" > wrote in message

> Butcher wrote:
>> "rebco10" > wrote in message
>>> I love taking my car and checking out the limits with traction off
>>> (not good for small area) and then turning it on and going around
>>> these small turns.
>>>
>>> Do it with the system off then on right after each other and you
>>> can
>>> really see how the car helps you.
>>>
>>> Traction off. you need to concentrate, slide and really work. fun
>>> and
>>> loose.
>>>
>>> Traction on. Car seems to do almost everything and you just bring
>>> car
>>> to limit. fun and you look good without working.

>> I turn off the traction control right after I start the car like it
>> was on a checklist, I find it really gets in the way the last thing
>> I want when I am turning left across traffic or accelerating to
>> join flow (I live off a busy highway too) is feeling the gas petal
>> pushing back on my foot, a little wheel spin helps in so many
>> circumstances and it sure helps in tight U-turns(hehe). The only
>> time I turn it on is in the wet, where it is almost required as the
>> car will break loose even in fifth gear with too much throttle.
>> And on 'spirited' drives it really slows me down but I might not be
>> the norm as I grew up racing dirt track and am used to a car
>> sliding around. Perhaps the newer cars do a better job of it? I
>> just don't like it in my C4 unless in the wet.
>>
>> Butcher
>> '96 LT-4 CE

> World of difference between the traction control on the C5 vs the
> C4, and I suspect the C6 is better yet in being unobtrusive.

Correct.

Old August 12th 08, 02:49 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Old August 12th 08, 02:51 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

CardsFan wrote:
> "Butcher" > wrote in message
>> "rebco10" > wrote in message
>>> I love taking my car and checking out the limits with traction off
>>> (not good for small area) and then turning it on and going around
>>> these small turns.
>>>
>>> Do it with the system off then on right after each other and you can
>>> really see how the car helps you.
>>>
>>> Traction off. you need to concentrate, slide and really work. fun and
>>> loose.
>>>
>>> Traction on. Car seems to do almost everything and you just bring car
>>> to limit. fun and you look good without working.

>> I turn off the traction control right after I start the car like it was on
>> a checklist, I find it really gets in the way the last thing I want when I
>> am turning left across traffic or accelerating to join flow (I live off a
>> busy highway too) is feeling the gas petal pushing back on my foot, a
>> little wheel spin helps in so many circumstances and it sure helps in
>> tight U-turns(hehe). The only time I turn it on is in the wet, where it
>> is almost required as the car will break loose even in fifth gear with too
>> much throttle. And on 'spirited' drives it really slows me down but I
>> might not be the norm as I grew up racing dirt track and am used to a car
>> sliding around. Perhaps the newer cars do a better job of it? I just
>> don't like it in my C4 unless in the wet.
>>
>> Butcher
>> '96 LT-4 CE

> Agreed. After the 1-4 skip shift, which I have defeated with one of those
> cheap devices, it's the most annoying thing about the car. I sometimes
> forget to override it and as soon as it does its thing I mutter under my
> breath, reach over and shut it off.
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp, both tops

Granted the C4 ASR is annoying when it activates, the C5 is much nicer.
Old August 14th 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

> World of difference between the traction control on the C5 vs the C4, and
> I suspect the C6 is better yet in being unobtrusive.

My C5-Z would just shut down the power, which was ok since the tires cost so
much.

In my new C6-Z you hardly even notice the traction control working. The
car just takes off. Think I'll wait a few months to get used to 500 hp
before I turn the computer off.

I had many times on the C5 that the traction control kicked in when i didn't
even know I'd lost traction. Usually a 2nd to 3rd shift, or full power in
3rd on a dusty county road. It will save your ass and prevent a lot of
heart break. I leave it on unless I'm in a situation where a complete f.u.
wouldn't matter, like an airport runway.

Ed