tires do I have to break the bank

Old August 5th 08, 02:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
rebco10

Default tires do I have to break the bank

Tires at tire rack origninal equipment rears like 350 each. then best
sellers around 200 each.

any tire recommendations that will not break the bank.

Ralph
Old August 5th 08, 05:03 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Mark Jones

rebco10 wrote:
> Tires at tire rack origninal equipment rears like 350 each. then best
> sellers around 200 each.
>
> any tire recommendations that will not break the bank.
>
> Ralph

Not sure what the prices are now, but I really like the B.F. Goodrich
Comp T/A tires that I installed on my 1994 Corvette. They grip much
better than the Goodyear run-flat tires that were the stock tires.

http://home.mindspring.com/~mejones/...arDC01_med.jpg

Old August 5th 08, 12:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
rebco10

On Aug 5, 12:03*am, "Mark Jones" > wrote:
> rebco10 wrote:
> > Tires at tire rack origninal equipment rears like 350 each. then best
> > sellers around 200 each.

> > any tire recommendations that will not break the bank.

> > Ralph

> Not sure what the prices are now, but I really like the B.F. Goodrich
> Comp T/A tires that I installed on my 1994 Corvette. They grip much
> better than the Goodyear run-flat tires that were the stock tires.
>
> http://home.mindspring.com/~mejones/...arDC01_med.jpg

Man those tires look scary and do I love a red c4. looks great
Old August 5th 08, 03:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"rebco10" > wrote in message
> Tires at tire rack origninal equipment rears like 350 each. then
> best
> sellers around 200 each.
>
> any tire recommendations that will not break the bank.
>
> Ralph

I ran a set of Continental ContiExtremeContact about $600 for a set on
both of the C5s I had and would do it again if they made a set that
fit the C6 at the time. One OEM rear tire on the C6 cost nearly that
much. Great tire, priced much lower, quiet, smooth, great wear, good
rain tire, did I mention quiet, held the road, and they are used on
some of the snooty named cars. Gave up on Michelin as they tend to
age/wear harden and get slick.

Be aware that the big block tire treads will get noisy as they wear
and the C5 lets you hear all of the tire noise. My use is to travel
and with my Corvette and I'd much rather hear the exhaust than the
tire/road noise. Not even sure the radio cd player works it has been
so long since I turned it on, 4 years in a moth or two.

You also need to be aware if you run a non run flat tire you need to
run a pound or two more pressure to offset the loss of the stiffer
sidewall. If you don't the car will feel sloppy in a brisk handling
situation.

Old August 5th 08, 10:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> I ran a set of Continental ContiExtremeContact about $600 for a set on
> both of the C5s I had and would do it again if they made a set that
> fit the C6 at the time.

How did they look on the C5? I was going to use some cheaper or
less expensive tires and they looked round and cheap on another
car so I went back to Goodyear noise generators. They look good
but are terrible for noise.
Old August 5th 08, 10:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
charlie

"aRKay" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> I ran a set of Continental ContiExtremeContact about $600 for a set on
>> both of the C5s I had and would do it again if they made a set that
>> fit the C6 at the time.

> How did they look on the C5? I was going to use some cheaper or
> less expensive tires and they looked round and cheap on another
> car so I went back to Goodyear noise generators. They look good
> but are terrible for noise.

i have the bfg's referenced earlier on my 2 vettes. good mileage and pretty
quiet. costco has a good price on them, and a couple times/year they publish
a $60 off on 4 tire coupon.

Old August 5th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> I ran a set of Continental ContiExtremeContact about $600 for a set
>> on
>> both of the C5s I had and would do it again if they made a set that
>> fit the C6 at the time.

> How did they look on the C5? I was going to use some cheaper or
> less expensive tires and they looked round and cheap on another
> car so I went back to Goodyear noise generators. They look good
> but are terrible for noise.

Sidewalls ok but the tread looks like any other tire. Looks was not
even a factor to me after I drove them, by then I was sick of the
cupped Goodyear's and their noise. One thing to be aware of it you
need to keep them under a hundred for the first 2 or 3 miles as they
take a slight set while parked for a few days.

Old August 5th 08, 11:13 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Venger[_2_]

rebco10 wrote:
> Tires at tire rack origninal equipment rears like 350 each. then best
> sellers around 200 each.
>
> any tire recommendations that will not break the bank.

I've used the Nitto 555s, they are...okay.

I've used the Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. Awesome.

The Kuhmo Ecsta MX seems to get decent reviews for a cheap tire.

Venger
Old August 6th 08, 01:05 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JimH[_3_]

Venger wrote:

> I've used the Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. Awesome.

I've got to agree with you there. I've got those on my C4 right now, and
even with quite a bit of wear, they still hold the road, and they are
still surprisingly quiet. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Prior to these, I had Firestone Firehawks. Those lost traction after a
little wear. They also wore out pretty quick.

--
Jim
Old August 6th 08, 09:43 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Z’RiX[_2_]

"rebco10" > wrote in message
> Tires at tire rack origninal equipment rears like 350 each. then best
> sellers around 200 each.
>
> any tire recommendations that will not break the bank.
>
> Ralph

I use Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires and they are great a little loud but hook up
great...

Front P245/45 ZR 17
Rear P285/40 ZR 18

Paid a grand for the set mounted, balanced, road hazard, and warranty...

A Couple sites to check out the ratings...
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...ebrand=Pirelli

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....o+Nero+M% 26S

Z’RiX

OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 68 September 12th 07 03:08 AM
Put It In The Tank or Put It In The BANK larp05 Technology 3 June 7th 06 04:36 AM
low break pedal, non-working parking break - self-adjusters not working? [email protected] Technology 13 December 24th 05 12:32 PM
Bank Business Mike Graham BMW 1 June 26th 05 11:36 PM
Can I use a VW for a bank robbery ??? Winnie Oakbob VW air cooled 6 June 8th 05 09:58 PM