Spain Gets Smart - Cuts Highway Speed Limit to 50 mph, City to 25 mph

Old August 4th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.trucking
Eeyore

Default Spain Gets Smart - Cuts Highway Speed Limit to 50 mph, City to25mph

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:
> > Nate Nagel wrote:

> vast research subsidides that a moderately educated high school leaver could >>>show are
> pointless.

> >>I agree, hydrogen is not a fuel, it's essentially a chemical battery if
> >>you will (since it requires electricity to produce) and you can get
> >>greater efficiencies from normal batteries.
> >>
> >>We've already had the butanol discussion, it's intriguing but not a
> >>replacement for gasoline, and I have heard nothing about it other than
> >>previous discussions here so there must be reasons why it's not being
> >>seriously pursued, although I don't know exactly what they are.

> > Butanol is NOT a gasoline replacement ? You can literally fill your car up with it and > not

> notice the difference. Not even a big ECU map change required (if at all).
>
> We've had this discussion before, and it will not directly replace
> gasoline.

My sources say it can. Maybe not in a fussy engine ?

> You WILL need a map change at a minimum if you want your car
> to not run like ****.

Not a big deal. I'll bet any 'flex-fuel' car will accomadate it already. Get it into production
and every ECU will come off the line butanol or ethanol or even methanol compatible.

> > It is being pursued in the UK by DuPont and Shell or BP.

> It's not even a blip on the radar here.

You might care to to ask yourself why. ADM doing too well from ethanol maybe ?

Graham

Old August 4th 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Eeyore wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>> Eeyore wrote:

>>> Yeah but it's not a classic 3 box sedan. It's quasi Euro styling
>>> with the hatch/fast back > that helps the Cd..

>> What do you want? It's a typical American sedan currently
>> available.

> Fair enough. Maybe your designers are wising up to good aerodynamic
> design. Just don't mention Hummers !

I believe that that "wising up" happened sometime in the early 80's with
the introduction of the Taurus.

>>> http://www.topspeed.com/cars/opel/20...a-ar26338.html
>>>
>>> "The distinctive look, which also impresses with the exemplary
>>> low drag coefficient of 0.28" That's the current model.

>>> Look, this isn't personal you know.

>> You're *making* it personal with your constant assholery,
>> especially when as in this case you're completely off base.

> It has been traditional for US sedans to have larger Cds and CdAs
> than Euro cars.

When?

> You also typically fit larger engines.

This much is true.

> Can you not see why I'd like to point out these deficits to you ?

Um.... because you're not very bright and you're also a douchebag with
self-image issues who likes to attempt to make himself feel better by
pointing out the (real or perceived) shortcomings of others?

> It's hitting you at the gas pump.
>
> Incidentally, Saturn recently introduced 2 Euro built or based models
> into their range. The Astra (Opel Astra) and Aura (Opel Vectra).
>
> Both have minimum size engines in the USA that are about 30% larger
> than the equivalent Euro model. Check it out for yourself. Why ?

Yes, I already know this. The answer really is "why not." There's no
penalty for a larger engine here like there is in Europe, and the 3.5 is
already certified for use in US passenger cars.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old August 4th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.trucking
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Eeyore wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>>Eeyore wrote:

>>vast research subsidides that a moderately educated high school leaver could >>>show are
>>pointless.

>>>Butanol is NOT a gasoline replacement ? You can literally fill your car up with it and > not

>>notice the difference. Not even a big ECU map change required (if at all).
>>
>>We've had this discussion before, and it will not directly replace
>>gasoline.

> My sources say it can. Maybe not in a fussy engine ?

If you just read the stuff you posted the last time we talked about
this, anyone with any kind of engineering background can see from just a
few parameters that "your sources" are optimistic at best. (that is,
they're lying to you.)

>> You WILL need a map change at a minimum if you want your car
>>to not run like ****.

> Not a big deal. I'll bet any 'flex-fuel' car will accomadate it already. Get it into production
> and every ECU will come off the line butanol or ethanol or even methanol compatible.

"not a big deal." Well then remap my ECU to run on butanol. I even
happen to have a spare one laying around that I can ship you.

>>>It is being pursued in the UK by DuPont and Shell or BP.

>>It's not even a blip on the radar here.

> You might care to to ask yourself why. ADM doing too well from ethanol maybe ?

Probably because it's no better than ethanol as a gasoline replacement,
from the data you posted.

nate

Old August 4th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Eeyore > wrote:

>"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote:
>
>> Eeyore > wrote:

>> >No I'm NOT ! The numbers are out there. See for yourself.

>> Your claim, you support it. And claiming a 1996 Dodge Viper
>> convertible as a "typical American sedan" ain't going to cut it.

>Are you seriously claiming they'd measure the Cd with the roof DOWN ?

1) Why not? I don't know about the Viper, but I've seen both figures
for the Miata. (no, I don't remember what they are)
2) Even with the top up, convertibles tend to have a poorer Cd than
cars with a fixed roof.
3) Even the non-convertible Viper isn't a sedan. Nor is the Viper typical.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old August 4th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Eeyore > wrote:

>"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote:
>
>> Eeyore > wrote:

>> >No I'm NOT ! The numbers are out there. See for yourself.

>> Your claim, you support it. And claiming a 1996 Dodge Viper
>> convertible as a "typical American sedan" ain't going to cut it.
>>
>> >Smallish cars (super minis so-called) are very popular here.

>> "Small" in terms of total size or mass isn't what is at issue here.
>> Small in terms of frontal area is the issue. The Smart, for instance,
>> is quite small, but I bet its CdA is quite high (because it's so tall).

>Ok, why don't we elect some popular vehicles and make direct comparisons if the data's
>out there ?
>
>For a typical mid-size 'family' car in Europe I elect the Ford Mondeo or Opel Vectra.

I elect the Mercury Sable or the Chevy Malibu.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old August 4th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.trucking
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Eeyore > wrote:

>"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote:
>
>> Nate Nagel > wrote:

>> >*sigh*
>> >
>> >there's lots of ways that the US is better than your average Yurrupeon
>> >country, and you don't see all us 'murricans mentioning them in EVERY
>> >DAMNED POST. Give it up, already.

>> There's even more ways the US is better than the UK (which is a year
>> or two ahead of us on Orwell's program). But you know, Graham's
>> anti-Americanism

>I an not 'anti-American'. You'd know if I was.

And indeed I do.

>> wouldn't be quite so bad if it weren't for the fact
>> that 99 times out of 100, he is completely off base.

>So why do your cars use more fuel than ours ?

Cars in the same class use similar amounts of fuel per mile in the US
and Europe.

>It's a simple enough question.

With a couple of dead obvious answers.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old August 4th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.trucking
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Eeyore > wrote:

>Butanol is NOT a gasoline replacement ? You can literally fill your car up with it and not
>notice the difference.

No, you can't, because

1) Its stochiometric ratio is 11.2. Your ordinary gasoline-powered
car will be expecting a fuel with a ratio of 14.6. The mixture
will be far too lean.

2) Its motor octane number of 78 is quite poor. Which means you'll get
knocking and pinging under load.

(why do I get a sense of deja vu? Oh, it's because we HAVE been here before)
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old August 4th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Eeyore > wrote:

>It has been traditional for US sedans to have larger Cds and CdAs
>than Euro cars.

Err, Nate and I have pretty much destroyed that claim. If you're
going to bring up notchback sedans (which haven't been common in
decades, and were available in Europe as well), I'm going to bring up
the old Volvo bricks, and the VW bug.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old August 4th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
Larrybud

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
wrote in .70:

> Larrybud > wrote in
> . 245.20:
>
>> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
>> wrote in .70:
>>

>>> Hey stupid. What makes you think highways are designed for 75
>>> or for any particular speed??

>> Because of the radius of the turns, and the long exit and
>> entrance ramps.

> Long ramps??? HAHAHAHA. That's a laugh. The ones i see are way
> too short and that causes huge problems. Mergers don't have
> enough space to reach the speed limit. One more reason speed
> limits should be lowered.

If you'd drive a car that had more than 2 of it's 4 cylinders firing
you wouldn't have that problem.