VERY Cold Weather

Old July 3rd 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Default VERY Cold Weather

wrote:
> Hey, I'm going to be attending college in Fairbanks, Alaska next year,
> and I just bought a truck that should handle pretty well in snowy
> conditions. For those interested, it is a used 2000 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab
> K1500 4x4 with a little over 70,000 miles. It's also my first vehicle,
> and since I'll probably have it for long time, I'd like to make some
> modifications (duh!).

Check the histirical weather record on weather.com for some idea about
how cold it can get in winter.

The rear end is probably going to be pretty light in snow...plan on
adding some weight to the bed for traction.

> What I want to know is, with FREEZING conditions in mind, what engine
> modifications should I make, and what shouldn't I make?

Freezing conditions are no problem for almost any car. You will be in
sub-zero temperatures which are an entirely different matter. Try to
store your truck inside a garage. Make sure all fluids have been
changed and that oil is of the proper viscosity for ultra-cold
temperatures. Plan on having the truck fitted with a block heater that
is plugged in when you leave it for a while. Get a new battery. Drive
with blankets, etc., sufficient to kkeep you bwarm in the event of a
breakdown.

I already know

Old July 4th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

wrote:
> Hey, I'm going to be attending college in Fairbanks, Alaska next year,
> and I just bought a truck that should handle pretty well in snowy
> conditions. For those interested, it is a used 2000 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab
> K1500 4x4 with a little over 70,000 miles. It's also my first vehicle,
> and since I'll probably have it for long time, I'd like to make some
> modifications (duh!).
>
> What I want to know is, with FREEZING conditions in mind, what engine
> modifications should I make, and what shouldn't I make? I already know
> I'm going to need an engine preheater of some sort, what exactly I'm
> not sure, because it gets at most -20 degrees fahrenheit in the winter,
> and can get as cold as -60 degrees
>
> I've heard grill inserts help your engine warm up faster, but I'm not
> too confident in the idea; particularly the part where, after the
> engine is nice and toasty, how does the insert effect my air intake?
>
> Any suggestions for modifications would be really helpful right now,
> and the sooner the better. I leave in less than two months and I would
> like to have it all done before I head up.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Synthetic lubricants. change EVERYTHING to synthetic. Engine oil,
transmission fluid, rear axle lube, even have the bearings repacked with
syn. if you have the time/inclination/money. Conventional oil will turn
to goo at the temps that you can see up there, synthetic will thicken
some too but not as much.

As others have suggested, if you don't have a garage to park it in, you
will definitely need a block heater, and some kind of mechanism to keep
the battery from freezing as well.

I don't really have any experience with winters much below, say, -10F...
so there may be something I'm missing. There's a BIG difference
between merely frostbite cold and the kind of cold you're talking about.
But the above is a good place to start.

good luck,

nate

(a little jealous, always wanted to go to Alaska.)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel