Finding exhaust leak under hood

Old June 30th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Finding exhaust leak under hood

Hi all - car is a 1985 Corolla SR5, 224k miles.

When the engine is first started, even if it's not fully cold, I can
hear some exhaust noise from under the hood, primarily when
accelerating. What would be the best way to pinpoint where it is? It's
definitely under the hood somewhere. It goes away after a couple of
minutes of driving.

Thanks all
Old June 30th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:22:44 -0500, Masospaghetti >
wrote:

>Hi all - car is a 1985 Corolla SR5, 224k miles.
>
>When the engine is first started, even if it's not fully cold, I can
>hear some exhaust noise from under the hood, primarily when
>accelerating. What would be the best way to pinpoint where it is?

I would use a smoke machine leak tester. But that an expensive piece
of equipment. You can slowly pour some ATF down the intake and the
resultant smoke will show you the leak. Probably a cracked exhaust
manifold.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

> It's definitely under the hood somewhere. It goes away after a couple of
>minutes of driving.

When the manifold gets hot and expands the crack typically closes.

Old June 30th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Masospaghetti

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't think about looking at the different temperature-activated
valves in the car -- I will definitely do so.

There is an air tube that runs from in front of the timing belt down to
the cat.

www.rockauto.com catalog so you know where to listen:

Old July 3rd 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Masospaghetti" > wrote in message
> Hi all - car is a 1985 Corolla SR5, 224k miles.
>
> When the engine is first started, even if it's not fully cold, I can
> hear some exhaust noise from under the hood, primarily when
> accelerating. What would be the best way to pinpoint where it is? It's
> definitely under the hood somewhere. It goes away after a couple of
> minutes of driving.

A length of heater hose, used as a stethiscope, is a very useful tool
sometimes.