removal of alternator '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Old April 1st 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default removal of alternator '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Hi There,

I'm posting this for my husband. He's not the type to ask for
directions and is having a hard time removing the alternator on his '94
Jeep Cherokee Sport. Basic model - no a/c, pw or pl. I saw on an
earlier post the following...

Alternators generally aren't hard at all to change, usually a 3/8" of
1/2" Breaker Bar to release tension on the Tensioner pulley to remove
the Serpentine Belt, a couple of Bolts, and a Plug, and ground Wire,
and
that's it.

I know that his problem is with the belt. He's removed the alternator
on my Honda but he said that there was a release for my belt. Would the
info above (3/8" of 1/2" breaker bar) apply to his Jeep? I'm sure he's
going to let a professional install the alternator - I think he just
wants to remove it himself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LT

Old April 1st 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I haven't tried it on the 97, but on all the other Jeep engines I work
on, if I am changing 'only' the alternator or waterpump and the belt is
in good shape to re-use, I leave the freakin belts alone. It was
adjusted right before I started so it goes back to the same adjustment
when I am finished.

There should be an emissions sticker under the hood that also has the
belt routing and adjustment point on a diagram.

I know how on the older Cherokee's, which is to loosen a bolt near the
top and then the locknut on the slot at the bottom of the power steering
pump. On the back side of the PS pump there is a square hole that fits
the socket wrench or breaker bar.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's