Changing 1988 Comanche Starter

Old March 12th 06, 11:46 PM posted to alt.american.automobile,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Changing 1988 Comanche Starter

I think I need to replace the starter on my 1988 Jeep Comanche (L6 4.0) as
the engine won't turn over while the battery tests fine. I've managed to
figure out its location and can get under the vehicle to get to it. Just
want to know on a 1 to 10 difficulty scale of do it yourself repair work,
how this particualr job rates.

Old March 12th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Goshi Key wrote:

> I think I need to replace the starter on my 1988 Jeep Comanche (L6 4.0) as
> the engine won't turn over while the battery tests fine. I've managed to
> figure out its location and can get under the vehicle to get to it. Just
> want to know on a 1 to 10 difficulty scale of do it yourself repair work,
> how this particualr job rates.

1. the most important for this job is to disconnect battery pole before you
start to try to fix any on this starter!!!

Regards,

Ralf
--
www.omnibusclub.de
Erfinder des Abgasturboladers Dr. Alfred J. Büchi: "Die Abgase,
Old March 13th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Goshi Key proclaimed:

> I think I need to replace the starter on my 1988 Jeep Comanche (L6 4.0) as
> the engine won't turn over while the battery tests fine. I've managed to
> figure out its location and can get under the vehicle to get to it. Just
> want to know on a 1 to 10 difficulty scale of do it yourself repair work,
> how this particualr job rates.

Not that difficult. First you may want to check all cabling, including
ground.
Old March 13th 06, 03:36 AM posted to alt.american.automobile,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Goshi - Jeeps are notorious for having the ground between the engine and the
body go bad and I would check this before going after the starter. Remember
that the negative cable from the battery has two ends that you need to
clean. Don't know what this particular Jeep has from the engine to the
body, but find it and clean it, both ends. Clean both ends of the positive
wire too.
Tomes

Old March 13th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.american.automobile

Reaching the top bolt is a pain and getting it back in can take some
fiddling but it's pretty straight forward. I take the positive cable
and solenoid wiring off after I drop it down where I can reach things
then hook it back up before bolting it in.

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:46:18 UTC "Goshi Key" > wrote:

> I think I need to replace the starter on my 1988 Jeep Comanche (L6 4.0) as
> the engine won't turn over while the battery tests fine. I've managed to
> figure out its location and can get under the vehicle to get to it. Just
> want to know on a 1 to 10 difficulty scale of do it yourself repair work,
> how this particualr job rates.

--
Will Honea
Old March 13th 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.american.automobile,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Goshi Key wrote:
> I think I need to replace the starter on my 1988 Jeep Comanche (L6 4.0) as
> the engine won't turn over while the battery tests fine. I've managed to
> figure out its location and can get under the vehicle to get to it. Just
> want to know on a 1 to 10 difficulty scale of do it yourself repair work,
> how this particualr job rates.

ECHO: Wot the others said about cleaning the cables -- both ends --
first. Grounding issues are a very big deal with Jeeps.

Back a couple of years ago when I swapped out my starter on my `89
Cherokee I6 4.0L I found that I needed both sets of wrenches. Things
that thread into the engine are metric, things that thread into the
starter are SAE (or t'other way around). Mining a thread from 2003 I
see that the lower bolt is SAE 9/16" and is easily approached from the
front, the upper from the rear -- and it is in a really tight place. I
broke the bolt loose with a box wrench and then use a 3/8" "wobble"
extension (with a metric socket) to get the ratchet head into a place
where I could swing it.

And I also made this observation:

There's only two wires, a control lead and the battery cable. When you
put the new starter in, pay particular attention to which bolt the
battery cable went to. Laying on your back in the driveway it will be
easy to confuse the two and attach it to the wrong bolt. This will be
Very Bad. You'll know by the huge spark when you try to put the battery
cable back on the battery post if you've got it wrong.

Let us know how you make out.

Old March 14th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.american.automobile,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Goshi

The advice you were given was excellent. Always disconnect the battery
before attempting to change the starter, and double check the grounds.

However, you may have a problem with the ignition switch or solenoid. I
had this problem with my 87 Cherokee 4.0 last Christmas. The switch
failed and I jump started from the solenoid (Ford type). I added a
heavy duty momentary toggle switch in the dash directly to the
solenoid. Then when the weather was nicer, I changed the ignition
switch but left the starter switch in the dash.

I would not want to change the starter and still have the same problem.

Merrill

Old March 14th 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.american.automobile,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Not too hard, but as the others mention, I would suspect wiring first.

One test is to turn on the headlights and watch then when someone tries
the starter. If the lights dim, suspect the starter, if the lights
don't dim, suspect a connection.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 27th 06, 12:58 AM posted to alt.american.automobile,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

First, thanks to the whole gang for all the great advice, it certainly made
it easier for me.

I checked and cleaned all the connections and was able to confirm that it
was indeed the starter. Funny thing was that 4 days after making sure the
connections were not the issue the thing started right up when my neighbor
turned the key! but when we tried again 10 minutes later, it was back to
being dead again. I was told that starters will do that.

I found a replacement starter at a local shop for a pretty good proice. It
took a few days for me to get the time to do the work, but once I got to it
the hardest part was getting one of the bolts off (finding the right
position underneath was also a challenge at first). Now I've got a
functional old truck once again and that makes me happy!

Thanks ALL

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Not too hard, but as the others mention, I would suspect wiring first.
>
> One test is to turn on the headlights and watch then when someone tries
> the starter. If the lights dim, suspect the starter, if the lights
> don't dim, suspect a connection.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>
> Goshi Key wrote:
>>
>> I think I need to replace the starter on my 1988 Jeep Comanche (L6 4.0)
>> as
>> the engine won't turn over while the battery tests fine. I've managed to
>> figure out its location and can get under the vehicle to get to it. Just
>> want to know on a 1 to 10 difficulty scale of do it yourself repair work,
>> how this particualr job rates.

Changing the starter..? Help please wallyg22 4x4 1 January 1st 06 07:44 PM
starter current draw? N8N Technology 13 September 27th 05 02:34 PM
1988 Jeep Comanche clutch hydraulic fluid ? ctops Jeep 40 April 6th 05 09:35 PM
Jeep clutch fluid question , 1988 Comanche 4.0 6ci. ctops Chrysler 3 March 16th 05 04:34 PM
1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0 6ci., clutch hydraulic fluid question ? ctops Technology 0 March 15th 05 03:37 PM