Tire thoughts/suggestions?

Old December 14th 04, 03:45 AM
Malcolm

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message

> That's a reasonable price... I'll check out what shipping would be vs.
> getting some local. I'd rather spend a little more and have a better tire.

Just as an indication, I ordered two tires for my truck from TireRack.
Shipping on each tire was $13 for ground UPS. The upside is that TireRack
has several shipping warehouses across the country. Mine came from Louisiana
(I live in Alabama) and arrived two days after I ordered them.

The tires for the Gal should be a little lighter than the All Terrain tires
I ordered (275/70R15), so your shipping would probably be a buck or two less
per tire.

--
Malcolm

Old December 14th 04, 04:26 AM
LauraK

>That's a reasonable price... I'll check out what shipping would be vs.
>getting some local. I'd rather spend a little more and have a better tire.
>Tires are something I know little about. I know all about the mechanicals of
>the car and how to fix it, but like automatic transmissions, tires are a
>mystery to me. heh heh I'm trying to learn and not make a bad choice.

They drop ship them to a shop you designatre (there's a list of recommended
tire mounters on the site) who will install them for you. Usually an additional
$5-10 a tire.
The service from Tire Rack and their recommended shops have been excellent.
Read the reviews from users and find one that comes closest to what you want
out of a tire. Those will tell you if they really do work well in snow and
rain.
Touring tires are great if you're doing a lot of Interstate driving under
non-freezing conditions. I wouldn't run them in snow, though.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Old December 14th 04, 04:26 AM
LauraK

Old December 14th 04, 04:48 AM
Cory Dunkle

"LauraK" > wrote in message
> >That's a reasonable price... I'll check out what shipping would be vs.
> >getting some local. I'd rather spend a little more and have a better

tire.
> >Tires are something I know little about. I know all about the mechanicals

of
> >the car and how to fix it, but like automatic transmissions, tires are a
> >mystery to me. heh heh I'm trying to learn and not make a bad choice.

> They drop ship them to a shop you designatre (there's a list of

recommended
> tire mounters on the site) who will install them for you. Usually an

additional
> $5-10 a tire.
> The service from Tire Rack and their recommended shops have been

excellent.
> Read the reviews from users and find one that comes closest to what you

want
> out of a tire. Those will tell you if they really do work well in snow and
> rain.
> Touring tires are great if you're doing a lot of Interstate driving under
> non-freezing conditions. I wouldn't run them in snow, though.

I have done a lot of highway driving over the past year. I've put about
2,000 miles/mo on the car since I put the new engine in. Only thing is I
drive it year round, and will probably head up north once or twice this
winter, and the snow is worse up there. I definitely need something that
will at least be decent in the snow.

I kinda hate to spend an extra $10-$15 per tire for shipping that I could be
putting towards a better tire.

Old December 14th 04, 04:48 AM
Cory Dunkle

Old December 14th 04, 05:28 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message

> I kinda hate to spend an extra $10-$15 per tire for shipping that I could
> be
> putting towards a better tire.

Cory,
Many tire stores will match the tire rack prices, if you buy from them,
you need to check out the web site, read the reviews, then use that
information to pick your favorite tire. Then, you should shop around
for price on that tire.
Good luck, if you get a "no" then ask a different tire store.

Bernard

Old December 14th 04, 05:28 AM
Bernard Farquart

Old December 14th 04, 01:57 PM
Dave C.

> I was wondering what the designations in tires meant. Originally I was
> looking at Passenger All-Season tires until this person mentioned the
> Futura. It sounds to me like you just hate Touring tires, but probably for
> good reason. Originally I was looking at Goodyears.

Yes, most passenger tires would probably be OK. Look at the tread pattern
and think "snow shovel". What is going to bite into snow if the tire is
rotating? Take the Futuras for example. If you look at the tread pattern
on that, and think about unrolling the tire so that the tread sits flat on
the ground, you've got . . . a toboggan!!! Good for sliding off the road,
but that's not exactly what you want. -Dave

Old December 14th 04, 01:57 PM
Dave C.