anyone ever go backwards

Old March 3rd 10, 12:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
rebco10

Default anyone ever go backwards

I have a nice 00 convertible in the garage. I use it alot in the nice
weather and keep it clean etc. This is my 4th vette. Others were 76,
93, 96, 01 and 00.

My c5 like I said is nice.. but I kind of think the 96 was more fun
to drive. Less sophisticated. less luxery.. more fun. Sure it was
sloppy... but I love those seats... Sure with the top off the whole
car shakes... but with it on the car is kind of refined. I am now
lookiing for a c4 again to use as a daily driver along with my other
regular car. It is cheap enough that I wont be scared of "ruining" it
or usiing it to much.

Anywone else ever go backwards and why?
Old March 3rd 10, 03:18 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

rebco10 wrote:
> I have a nice 00 convertible in the garage. I use it alot in the nice
> weather and keep it clean etc. This is my 4th vette. Others were 76,
> 93, 96, 01 and 00.
>
> My c5 like I said is nice.. but I kind of think the 96 was more fun
> to drive. Less sophisticated. less luxery.. more fun. Sure it was
> sloppy... but I love those seats... Sure with the top off the whole
> car shakes... but with it on the car is kind of refined. I am now
> lookiing for a c4 again to use as a daily driver along with my other
> regular car. It is cheap enough that I wont be scared of "ruining" it
> or usiing it to much.
>
> Anywone else ever go backwards and why?

Yeah, I went "backwards" from a company-issued Infiniti sedan that was
hosing me at tax time. Keeping the C4 and billing the company for
mileage penciled out better. So, I spend 3 mornings a week with my
fanny in the C4 and only do weekend drives in the C5. If the C4 gets
totaled, it's a max of $ 10-12 grand (my insurance company regularly
reminds me that their part of that action is about $ 9000). Such a loss
is easier to take than banging up a number's-matching C3 or earlier.
Walking away from a wrecked C4 would be quick.

I agree on the seating and my body fits the C4 bolsters and head rests
perfectly. C4 gets my juices flowing for the morning work routine and I
get a lot of traffic-lite questions like, "what year is that?"

Ego rewards are way better than in the Infiniti. I do not apologize for
car ego.

I'm seeing more sharp C4s during the morning and evening commute than a
year ago so we're not alone in turning a C4 into a daily driver. Many
have new paint, clearly approaching (exceeding?) the total value of the
car.

Heavy downside is the lack of modern air-bags and pre-tensioners.
Consider all-wx treads for rainy days. You'll probably pay more for
insurance than if you drove the C5. The cockpit is warmer in the summer
than the C5!

If you buy one, get an frame brace to stiffen it up. Find a Corvette
body mech, over the age of 50, who knows how to properly fit the top,
and have all the top panel shimming re-done. These two things with
labor will total run less than $ 500 and make a world of difference in
ride, squeaks and handling. Add a set of tires that warm up quickly and
work OK in the rain.

Maintenance (4 years worth) has been less than 2-grand. Few 20 year old
cars can match that. Smog has not been an issue except for an O2 sensor
two years ago. I've had no electronic issues save for an occasional
trigger of the anti-theft system (pulling the circuit breaker resets
it.) Plan on doing your own lube jobs--none of today's oil changers can
recognize a zerk fitting.

--
pj
Old March 3rd 10, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"pj" > wrote in message
> [...]

> insurance than if you drove the C5. The cockpit is warmer in the
> summer than the C5!
>
> If you buy one, get an frame brace to stiffen it up. Find a
> Corvette body mech, over the age of 50, who knows how to properly
> fit the top, and have all the top panel shimming re-done. These two
> things with labor will total run less than $ 500 and make a world of
> difference in ride, squeaks and handling. Add a set of tires that
> warm up quickly and work OK in the rain.
>
> Maintenance (4 years worth) has been less than 2-grand. Few 20 year
> old cars can match that. Smog has not been an issue except for an O2
> sensor two years ago. I've had no electronic issues save for an
> occasional trigger of the anti-theft system (pulling the circuit
> breaker resets it.) Plan on doing your own lube jobs--none of
> today's oil changers can recognize a zerk fitting.

All good points and right on the mark. Still can't believe the
insurance companies get more to insure the C4 than they do for the
C5, but they do. They claim it is because of the hood and the nearly
un-repairable frame. I have looked for a particular C4 all winter and
was unable to find what I could get but did find many that I wanted.
Prices are going up now and I'll wait until next fall to start looking
again. Ran into a number of the early C5s that could be bought for the
price of the C4. Looking forward to driving the "flexible flier" again
as I don't take off the glass top much.

As for grease zerks I had to show the tech where they were on the C6
Z51 suspension.

Old March 5th 10, 10:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
American Raven

"rebco10" > wrote in message
> I have a nice 00 convertible in the garage. I use it alot in the nice
> weather and keep it clean etc. This is my 4th vette. Others were 76,
> 93, 96, 01 and 00.
>
> My c5 like I said is nice.. but I kind of think the 96 was more fun
> to drive. Less sophisticated. less luxery.. more fun. Sure it was
> sloppy... but I love those seats... Sure with the top off the whole
> car shakes... but with it on the car is kind of refined. I am now
> lookiing for a c4 again to use as a daily driver along with my other
> regular car. It is cheap enough that I wont be scared of "ruining" it
> or usiing it to much.
>
> Anywone else ever go backwards and why?

I have my wife's '06 Mustang Convertible, a '02 C5 Vette, a '95 LT1 C4 Vette
and a '79 C3 Vette. The '79 is a show car, the '02 gets driven on weekends
and long trips, the '95 is my daily driver. I love the '95 and yes, it has
its quirks. It is easily my favorite car that I've ever owned. It gets
stares at gas stations, once in, it's almost like strapping the car on my
ass and back. The LT1 engine is wonderful - it always starts with the
slightest "bump" of the starter, it idles and runs smooth, the torque curve
is enjoyable and gives me a solid 20 mpg.

Also, it's not what I consider a "disposable" car but if it gets wrecked, I
can replace it quickly and easily for around 10-15 grand and get a good car.

Of course the Blose-Delco system was ripped out and disposed of long ago,
now with the Alpine head unit connected to Sirius satellite radio, I can
listen to classic rock or talk radio without having to search for stations.
It's small enough that a set of decent speakers and a decent small amp
sounds out-of-this-world great.

The C4 has to be the most maligned and under-appreciated member of the
Corvette family.

Old March 6th 10, 12:21 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 2, 6:45*pm, rebco10 > wrote:
> I have a nice 00 convertible in the garage. *I use it alot in the nice
> weather and keep it clean etc. *This is my 4th vette. *Others were 76,
> 93, 96, 01 and 00.
>
> My c5 like I said is nice.. * but I kind of think the 96 was more fun
> to drive. *Less sophisticated. *less luxery.. more fun. Sure it was
> sloppy... but I love those seats... *Sure with the top off the whole
> car shakes... but with it on the car is kind of refined. * I am now
> lookiing for a c4 again to use as a daily driver along with my other
> regular car. *It is cheap enough that I wont be scared of "ruining" it
> or *usiing it to much.
>
> Anywone else ever go backwards and why?

You should drive a C6 ; its head and shoulders above a C3,4,and 5 .
Its highly refined, more responsive, no rattles, no wind noise thru
the windows, and has a feel of luxury . I like my 1970 built big
block vette for raw-ness...but the C6 (2006) has the best of all
worlds.
Old March 10th 10, 04:10 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan[_2_]

"American Raven" > wrote in message

> "rebco10" > wrote in message
>> I have a nice 00 convertible in the garage. I use it alot in the nice
>> weather and keep it clean etc. This is my 4th vette. Others were 76,
>> 93, 96, 01 and 00.
>>
>> My c5 like I said is nice.. but I kind of think the 96 was more fun
>> to drive. Less sophisticated. less luxery.. more fun. Sure it was
>> sloppy... but I love those seats... Sure with the top off the whole
>> car shakes... but with it on the car is kind of refined. I am now
>> lookiing for a c4 again to use as a daily driver along with my other
>> regular car. It is cheap enough that I wont be scared of "ruining" it
>> or usiing it to much.
>>
>> Anywone else ever go backwards and why?

> I have my wife's '06 Mustang Convertible, a '02 C5 Vette, a '95 LT1 C4
> Vette and a '79 C3 Vette. The '79 is a show car, the '02 gets driven on
> weekends and long trips, the '95 is my daily driver. I love the '95 and
> yes, it has its quirks. It is easily my favorite car that I've ever
> owned. It gets stares at gas stations, once in, it's almost like
> strapping the car on my ass and back. The LT1 engine is wonderful - it
> always starts with the slightest "bump" of the starter, it idles and runs
> smooth, the torque curve is enjoyable and gives me a solid 20 mpg.
>
> Also, it's not what I consider a "disposable" car but if it gets wrecked,
> I can replace it quickly and easily for around 10-15 grand and get a good
> car.
>
> Of course the Blose-Delco system was ripped out and disposed of long ago,
> now with the Alpine head unit connected to Sirius satellite radio, I can
> listen to classic rock or talk radio without having to search for
> stations. It's small enough that a set of decent speakers and a decent
> small amp sounds out-of-this-world great.
>
> The C4 has to be the most maligned and under-appreciated member of the
> Corvette family.

I certainly am enjoying mine. But I've made a commitment to this car, and
I'd be upset it if were wrecked. I know the C5 is by far a better machine,
but this is my first and I'll own it 'til I'm gone. I hope to pick up
another 'Vette some day, but the way auction prices are going, I'll probably
try to steal a late-60s, early 70's GM muscle car first. Maybe a Camaro.

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old March 19th 10, 12:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 2, 7:45*pm, rebco10 > wrote:
> I have a nice 00 convertible in the garage. *I use it alot in the nice
> weather and keep it clean etc. *This is my 4th vette. *Others were 76,
> 93, 96, 01 and 00.
>
> My c5 like I said is nice.. * but I kind of think the 96 was more fun
> to drive. *Less sophisticated. *less luxery.. more fun. Sure it was
> sloppy... but I love those seats... *Sure with the top off the whole
> car shakes... but with it on the car is kind of refined. * I am now
> lookiing for a c4 again to use as a daily driver along with my other
> regular car. *It is cheap enough that I wont be scared of "ruining" it
> or *usiing it to much.
>
> Anywone else ever go backwards and why?

Yes, i went backwards once.....as i was walking forwards. Today, they
call it the Moon Walk.
Old March 19th 10, 01:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

" > wrote in message news:1d8c79c9-

>Yes, i went backwards once.....as i was walking forwards. Today, they
>call it the Moon Walk.

And back then , they just called it drunk.

-W

Old April 3rd 10, 01:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 2, 7:45*pm, rebco10 > wrote:
> I have a nice 00 convertible in the garage. *I use it alot in the nice
> weather and keep it clean etc. *This is my 4th vette. *Others were 76,
> 93, 96, 01 and 00.
>
> My c5 like I said is nice.. * but I kind of think the 96 was more fun
> to drive. *Less sophisticated. *less luxery.. more fun. Sure it was
> sloppy... but I love those seats... *Sure with the top off the whole
> car shakes... but with it on the car is kind of refined. * I am now
> lookiing for a c4 again to use as a daily driver along with my other
> regular car. *It is cheap enough that I wont be scared of "ruining" it
> or *usiing it to much.
>
> Anywone else ever go backwards and why?

I once went backwards walking forwards.