short throw question

Old November 2nd 08, 01:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
rebco10

Default short throw question

Before gettng my c5 I looked at a 00 camaro ss. Nice car back
seat. no need for debate here.
One thing I definitely liked 10x better in the camaro (the only thing
actually) was the short shift. This is my 4th corvette. I think the
trans in my 96 was crisper and somewhat better then the c5.

If I could just get the shifter shorter without affecting the
aftermarket of the car I would.

So, what is best way to do this?

Thanks

Old November 2nd 08, 02:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"rebco10" > wrote in message
> Before gettng my c5 I looked at a 00 camaro ss. Nice car back
> seat. no need for debate here.
> One thing I definitely liked 10x better in the camaro (the only
> thing
> actually) was the short shift. This is my 4th corvette. I think the
> trans in my 96 was crisper and somewhat better then the c5.
>
> If I could just get the shifter shorter without affecting the
> aftermarket of the car I would.
>
> So, what is best way to do this?

Put a Hurst shifter ball on it, shortens the shifter height about 1/2
inch; it threads on, changes the feel of the shift noticeably. There
are quite a few C6 shifters out there, which are shorter, that slip
right in but the knob is fastened differently. Way to many after
market shifters out there to comment on all of them but are not worth
the $200/300 they get for them plus they add quite a bit of effort to
the gear change.

One thing to remember you're not dealing with the same shifting
mechanism as that of the Camaro. The C5/6Corvette has a 4' rod
connected to the shifter that makes it feel different than the '96 or
the Camaro and a shorter shifter only aggravates that
difference/effort.

Old November 3rd 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ric Seyler[_2_]

Dad wrote:

> "rebco10" > wrote in message
>
>> Before gettng my c5 I looked at a 00 camaro ss. Nice car back
>> seat. no need for debate here.
>> One thing I definitely liked 10x better in the camaro (the only thing
>> actually) was the short shift. This is my 4th corvette. I think the
>> trans in my 96 was crisper and somewhat better then the c5.
>>
>> If I could just get the shifter shorter without affecting the
>> aftermarket of the car I would.
>>
>> So, what is best way to do this?
>>

> Put a Hurst shifter ball on it, shortens the shifter height about 1/2
> inch; it threads on, changes the feel of the shift noticeably. There
> are quite a few C6 shifters out there, which are shorter, that slip
> right in but the knob is fastened differently. Way to many after
> market shifters out there to comment on all of them but are not worth
> the $200/300 they get for them plus they add quite a bit of effort to
> the gear change.
>
> One thing to remember you're not dealing with the same shifting
> mechanism as that of the Camaro. The C5/6Corvette has a 4' rod
> connected to the shifter that makes it feel different than the '96 or
> the Camaro and a shorter shifter only aggravates that difference/effort.

The B&M shiftr I have in mine also make a "Ckacky Ckacky" sound, plus
higher effort.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler