If I was Leno.

Old April 26th 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default If I was Leno.

If I was [Jay] Leno, I'd buy one of these land barges and update it
with a modern 5.0, LS-series or Hemi and matching drive train. The
look on someone face when they are blown into the weeds would be
priceless.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...le/?refer=news

Patrick
Old April 26th 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

In article
" > wrote:

> If I was [Jay] Leno, I'd buy one of these land barges and update it
> with a modern 5.0, LS-series or Hemi and matching drive train. The
> look on someone face when they are blown into the weeds would be
> priceless.
>
> http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ffers-a-sevent
> ies-clash-of-automotive-titans-at-its-upcoming-spring-carlisle-sale/?refer=new
>
> Patrick

Wow, those were cars! Enough metal for 2 mustangs, with some left over
for a barbecue grill.
It would be interesting to see what one could do with not only an
engine/drive train update, but a suspension update too.

I gave a quick look and didn't find anyone thats tried this.

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.
Old April 26th 12, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 25, 7:57*pm, twk > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> " > wrote:
> > If I was [Jay] Leno, I'd buy one of these land barges and update it
> > with a modern 5.0, LS-series or Hemi and matching drive train. *The
> > look on someone face when they are blown into the weeds would be
> > priceless.

> >http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...america-offers...
> > ies-clash-of-automotive-titans-at-its-upcoming-spring-carlisle-sale/?refer=new

> > Patrick

> Wow, those were cars! Enough metal for 2 mustangs, with some left over
> for a barbecue grill.
> It would be interesting to see what one could do with not only an
> engine/drive train update, but a suspension update too.
>
> I gave a quick look and didn't find anyone that's tried this.

That's why it would be so cool to do. The trick would be to make the
upgrades stealthy. Shocks, sway bars and springs would be easy but
bigger brakes would be tougher (because the wheel constraints).

Patrick
Old April 26th 12, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biofilm

" > wrote in message
On Apr 25, 7:57 pm, twk > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> " > wrote:
> > If I was [Jay] Leno, I'd buy one of these land barges and update it
> > with a modern 5.0, LS-series or Hemi and matching drive train. The
> > look on someone face when they are blown into the weeds would be
> > priceless.

> >http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...america-offers...
> > ies-clash-of-automotive-titans-at-its-upcoming-spring-carlisle-sale/?refer=new

>> > Patrick

>> Wow, those were cars! Enough metal for 2 mustangs, with some left over
>> for a barbecue grill.
>> It would be interesting to see what one could do with not only an
>> engine/drive train update, but a suspension update too.
>>
>> I gave a quick look and didn't find anyone that's tried this.

>That's why it would be so cool to do. The trick would be to make the
>upgrades stealthy. Shocks, sway bars and springs would be easy but
>bigger brakes would be tougher (because the wheel constraints).

>Patrick

we used to call those type of cars "sleds" back in the 80's

but what a nice ride if the shocks are worn out, just floats down the
road.....

you can see some of the car action ( boat like ) in the old TV shows in the
late 70's,

Old April 26th 12, 06:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-04-26, > wrote:
> If I was [Jay] Leno, I'd buy one of these land barges and update it
> with a modern 5.0, LS-series or Hemi and matching drive train. The
> look on someone face when they are blown into the weeds would be
> priceless.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...le/?refer=news

The modern 5.0 would have the same problem in those cars as it would in
an older mustang. Shock towers will be in the way. So why hack up a nice
original example?

Old April 26th 12, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-offers-a-seve
> > nties-clash-of-automotive-titans-at-its-upcoming-spring-carlisle-sale/?refer
> > =news

> The modern 5.0 would have the same problem in those cars as it would in
> an older mustang. Shock towers will be in the way. So why hack up a nice
> original example?

Those old land barges didn't have a ton of engine room, width & length?

Old April 26th 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RM V2.0

"twk" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Brent > wrote:
>
>> On 2012-04-26, > wrote:
>> > If I was [Jay] Leno, I'd buy one of these land barges and update it
>> > with a modern 5.0, LS-series or Hemi and matching drive train. The
>> > look on someone face when they are blown into the weeds would be
>> > priceless.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-offers-a-seve
>> > nties-clash-of-automotive-titans-at-its-upcoming-spring-carlisle-sale/?refer
>> > =news

>> The modern 5.0 would have the same problem in those cars as it would in
>> an older mustang. Shock towers will be in the way. So why hack up a nice
>> original example?

> Those old land barges didn't have a ton of engine room, width & length?

Yeah, I was wonderign that as well. You could stuff a new 5.0 in there and
put luggage on either side. Remeber that people could sit 3 and 4 across in
those things.

Old April 26th 12, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 26, 12:41*am, Brent > wrote:
> On 2012-04-26, > wrote:
>
> > If I was [Jay] Leno, I'd buy one of these land barges and update it
> > with a modern 5.0, LS-series or Hemi and matching drive train. *The
> > look on someone face when they are blown into the weeds would be
> > priceless.

> >http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...america-offers...

> The modern 5.0 would have the same problem in those cars as it would in
> an older mustang. Shock towers will be in the way.

Many of those listed came with 400+ cube (big block) motors. I know
the modern 5.0 is big headed, but dimensionally they should be close,
no?

> So why hack up a nice original example?

That always a tough decision, but, IMO, made easier with this era of
cars because their power plants were so inefficient and underpowered,
and the vehicle themselves unlikely to ever be worth much of
anything. So I say, why not?

Patrick
Old April 27th 12, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-04-26, twk > wrote:
> In article >,
> Brent > wrote:
>
>> On 2012-04-26, > wrote:
>> > If I was [Jay] Leno, I'd buy one of these land barges and update it
>> > with a modern 5.0, LS-series or Hemi and matching drive train. The
>> > look on someone face when they are blown into the weeds would be
>> > priceless.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-offers-a-seve
>> > nties-clash-of-automotive-titans-at-its-upcoming-spring-carlisle-sale/?refer
>> > =news

>> The modern 5.0 would have the same problem in those cars as it would in
>> an older mustang. Shock towers will be in the way. So why hack up a nice
>> original example?

> Those old land barges didn't have a ton of engine room, width & length?

The ford overhead cam engines are as wider or wider than old ford big
block.

Old April 27th 12, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-04-26, RM V2.0 > wrote:

> "twk" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Brent > wrote:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-offers-a-seve

>>> The modern 5.0 would have the same problem in those cars as it would in
>>> an older mustang. Shock towers will be in the way. So why hack up a nice
>>> original example?

>> Those old land barges didn't have a ton of engine room, width & length?
>>

> Yeah, I was wonderign that as well. You could stuff a new 5.0 in there and
> put luggage on either side. Remeber that people could sit 3 and 4 across in
> those things.

Except where the wheels are. Here's a '78 Lincoln:
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0005_large.jpg
Mo http://www.4myride.com/ride/1978-Lin...al-n7aib000C9J

Good shot of the clearance he
http://www.mcsmk8.com/78-DJ/78-MARKV.HTM

view the engine pic at full size and you can see how close the exhaust
manifold and suspension mounting are to each other.

Jay Leno's Garage D. LaCourse Audi 3 May 21st 11 01:20 AM
Jay Leno Drives The New 5.0 NoOp[_2_] Ford Mustang 1 May 29th 10 11:26 AM
Jay Leno on Top Gear. [email protected] Technology 3 March 9th 10 04:56 PM
Jay Leno Paddy's Pig[_2_] Auto Photos 0 May 16th 08 07:48 AM
Jay Leno C6RS Frank ess Auto Photos 0 October 29th 07 11:52 PM