Nearly impossible to turn key in ignition

Old March 4th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
2000OdysseyLX

Default Nearly impossible to turn key in ignition

This isn't the first time, or the 24th time either, that this has
happened...

Our 2000 Honda Odyssey frequently "locks out" the ignition key, so that
it is impossible to turn.

The dealer, whose service department I give absolute top marks to,
always says "jiggle the wheel" or "turn the wheel one way, then the
other." We have never needed outside help to get the car started, but
I'm sick and tired of it starting only when it wants to.

Today, my wife went out to run some errands and couldn't turn the key.
I tried and tried and I couldn't either. I turned the steering wheel
from its center position until it locked in a sharp right orientation.
No help. Jiggled the wheel what little I could with it locked, and no
go. I finally gave the ignition slot a good shot of WD-40, until it was
running down the steering column, and the key turned easily.

So she got home and 20 minutes later, same problem. The thing really
won't turn now, and the WD40 does no good either.

At one point, the dealer had said that if the shifter is "rammed" into
Park and the car turned off at virtually the same instant, that could
increase the likelihood of this happening. Being a logical and
disciplined and systematic person is not one of my wife's virtues, and I
suspect that maybe she's contributing to this problem - I've seen her
come back from things with the kids, and she does seem like she's in a
hurry, acting all harried and frantic.

At any rate, I'm looking for three things he

1. Most importantly, how do I start the van? Turning the wheel and WD40
have not helped this time.

2. Why does this happen some times and not others? Until today, we'd
gone a pretty long streak without it happening.

3. Do other Honda owners have this problem?
Old March 5th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_1_]

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 15:12:11 -0500, 2000OdysseyLX >
wrote:

>This isn't the first time, or the 24th time either, that this has
>happened...
>
>Our 2000 Honda Odyssey frequently "locks out" the ignition key, so that
>it is impossible to turn.
>
>The dealer, whose service department I give absolute top marks to,
>always says "jiggle the wheel" or "turn the wheel one way, then the
>other." We have never needed outside help to get the car started, but
>I'm sick and tired of it starting only when it wants to.

Our 2003 Accord almost always "locks up" the ignition. The correct
procedure is to gently unload the tension on the wheel and hold it
there while you turn the key. You don't giggle it or turn the wheel
back and forth. You only have to move it about an inch or so to take
the tension off the switch, but you have to hold it there. We have
had several vehicles with this problem. The solution is always the
same. Of course this assumes there isn't something physically wrong
with your Odyssey.

Old March 5th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
2000OdysseyLX

In article >,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> 2000OdysseyLX > wrote:
>
> > I don't know what an immobilizer is, so I doubt we have one.

> You don't read the owner's manuals to your shiny new $25,000 toys?
>
> You have the immobilizer. Read the fine manual.

Spent too much time in the van in the cold garage today to want to go
out for the manual, but I found it online.

Nope, it's not the immobilizer causing this problem. From what I read,
the immobilizer allows the key to turn, but then various other things
kick in to prevent the vehicle from starting.

My problem is more elementary: I just cannot turn the key.
Old March 5th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 22:06:56 -0500, 2000OdysseyLX >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> 2000OdysseyLX > wrote:
>>
>> > I don't know what an immobilizer is, so I doubt we have one.

>> You don't read the owner's manuals to your shiny new $25,000 toys?
>>
>> You have the immobilizer. Read the fine manual.

>Spent too much time in the van in the cold garage today to want to go
>out for the manual, but I found it online.
>
>Nope, it's not the immobilizer causing this problem. From what I read,
>the immobilizer allows the key to turn, but then various other things
>kick in to prevent the vehicle from starting.
>
>My problem is more elementary: I just cannot turn the key.

I sympathize with you. Our '98 Ody does the same thing. The
"solution" is to not push the key into the lock when you turn it. Try
almost pulling it out of the cylinder as you fiddle with it. once you
develop a feel for it, you will hardly notice it. It is not normal
but it is serviceable. I want to get the cylinder replaced anyway
because I don't trust it.

Old March 5th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Randolph

2000OdysseyLX wrote:

<snip>

> Our 2000 Honda Odyssey frequently "locks out" the ignition key, so that
> it is impossible to turn.
>
> The dealer, whose service department I give absolute top marks to,
> always says "jiggle the wheel" or "turn the wheel one way, then the
> other." We have never needed outside help to get the car started, but
> I'm sick and tired of it starting only when it wants to.

If the steering wheel lock is engaged, and the steering wheel is biased
one way or the other, the key would get stuck, common problem on all
cars with steering wheel locks (i.e. pretty much any car except Saab 9-3
these days), and this is what your mechanic is assuming the problem is.

> Today, my wife went out to run some errands and couldn't turn the key.
> I tried and tried and I couldn't either. I turned the steering wheel
> from its center position until it locked in a sharp right orientation.
> No help. Jiggled the wheel what little I could with it locked, and no
> go. I finally gave the ignition slot a good shot of WD-40, until it was
> running down the steering column, and the key turned easily.

So you are saying that the key was stuck even when the steering wheel
lock was NOT engaged. Explain this to your mechanic next time you talk
to him, it might prompt him look for a real problem rather than assuming
user error. My guess would be that the lock cylinder is getting worn. Is
your key on a heavy key chain with a bunch of other keys, flashlights,
bottle openers, fax machines, tire irons etc.?

<snip>
Old March 5th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
2000OdysseyLX

In article
2000OdysseyLX > wrote:

> This isn't the first time, or the 24th time either, that this has
> happened...
>
> Our 2000 Honda Odyssey frequently "locks out" the ignition key, so that
> it is impossible to turn.
>
> The dealer, whose service department I give absolute top marks to,
> always says "jiggle the wheel" or "turn the wheel one way, then the
> other." We have never needed outside help to get the car started, but
> I'm sick and tired of it starting only when it wants to.

Had the car towed to the dealer today. The tow truck driver was able to
turn the key after about a minute of jiggling the wheel, but said he
thought we had a stuck tumbler. The dealer is replacing the ignition
cylinder - $600+ repair.
Old March 6th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Randolph

2000OdysseyLX wrote:

> The tow truck driver was able to
> turn the key after about a minute of jiggling the wheel, but said he
> thought we had a stuck tumbler. The dealer is replacing the ignition
> cylinder - $600+ repair.

Ouch! Was the car per chance under warranty the first time you
complained about this problem?

A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph