Vertically loose steering wheel

Old March 1st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Vertically loose steering wheel

I just noticed that my 90 accord EX has about 1/2 inch of vertical
play in the steering wheel. It's like the adjuster isn't quite
grabbing or something, even though the adjuster itself feels tight.
Is this a loose U-joint or something in the wheel itself?

Old March 2nd 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I just noticed that my 90 accord EX has about 1/2 inch of vertical
> play in the steering wheel. It's like the adjuster isn't quite
> grabbing or something, even though the adjuster itself feels tight.
> Is this a loose U-joint or something in the wheel itself?

The column tilt-lock has come loose. Needs to be readjusted and tightened.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 2nd 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 1, 7:30 pm, Tegger > wrote:

> The column tilt-lock has come loose. Needs to be readjusted and tightened.

Hmm, I'm not sure. Actually, it feels like more of a "clearance" than
a mushy adjuster/column lock. I guess the best way I can describe it
is that I can move the wheel freely up and down about 1/2" but outside
of that range, it hits something and doesn't go any further.

Old March 2nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
ps.com:

> On Mar 1, 7:30 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>>
>> The column tilt-lock has come loose. Needs to be readjusted and
>> tightened.

> Hmm, I'm not sure. Actually, it feels like more of a "clearance" than
> a mushy adjuster/column lock. I guess the best way I can describe it
> is that I can move the wheel freely up and down about 1/2" but outside
> of that range, it hits something and doesn't go any further.

Maybe the bolts are loose that hold the column to the dash crossmember.
Unusual, but I guess it can happen.

In any case, you have no choice now but to start pulling trim off until you
can see what's loose.

Old March 3rd 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 2, 4:58 pm, Tegger > wrote:

> Maybe the bolts are loose that hold the column to the dash crossmember.
> Unusual, but I guess it can happen.

It wouldn't surprise me with all the screws that were missing in this
thing to begin with. I'll check tomorrow.

Old March 3rd 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
philthy[_1_]

sounds like you used the wheel to pull yourself in the car seat and the
bearing is now bad since it was not designed to last under that usage

Old March 4th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 3, 1:16 pm, philthy > wrote:
> sounds like you used the wheel to pull yourself in the car seat and the
> bearing is now bad since it was not designed to last under that usage

Nope, believe it or not the shaft nut behind the emblem had backed
off. (!?)