Which To Buy?

Old March 4th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default Which To Buy?

Brian Smith wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> t...
>> but for stuff like that, i don't think you should be paying - you should
>> have one of the allison design team down there resolving your problem.
>> from a manufacturer perspective, they need as much field service feedback
>> as possible to make sure your stuff works properly. if nobody bothers to
>> let the design team know [not the service tech] that their filters clog
>> outside of the lab, they'll never deal with it. here in san francisco, a
>> number of the taxi companies run fleets sponsored by auto makers so we
>> have all the latest and greatest of their vehicles in taxi livery charging
>> up and down the badly pot-holed streets, hills, etc. they do this so they
>> can install "black box" data recorders in them and find out how their
>> vehicles perform in "real world" for a hilly city. they do it in las
>> vegas too for heat. if they have the data, they can design accordingly.
>> no data, inadequate design.

> I do understand what you are saying, but a small fleet of trucks doesn't
> seem to draw their attention. I would think that one truck having problems
> with their product would garner attention, but not yet.

it's also possible, depending on their business model, that they don't
want to resolve the issue - either a local or corporate decision. when
i was a pup at university, one of my professors did some consulting work
with one of the big auto manufacturers to help them limit the life of
their transmissions via metal fatigue. [it's a very hard technical
problem because things tend to either break right away, or last
forever.] but the point is, life limitation is very much on the agenda
in certain situations. i'm not sure it would be for commercial
applications, at least from a corporate standpoint, but you may have
been up against local sales quotas, and failures are a sales opportunity.
Old March 4th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...

> it's also possible, depending on their business model, that they don't
> want to resolve the issue - either a local or corporate decision. when i
> was a pup at university, one of my professors did some consulting work
> with one of the big auto manufacturers to help them limit the life of
> their transmissions via metal fatigue. [it's a very hard technical
> problem because things tend to either break right away, or last forever.]
> but the point is, life limitation is very much on the agenda in certain
> situations. i'm not sure it would be for commercial applications, at
> least from a corporate standpoint, but you may have been up against local
> sales quotas, and failures are a sales opportunity.

All true.

Old March 5th 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

On 3/3/07 10:12 PM, in article it, "High Tech
Misfit" > wrote:

> E Meyer wrote:
>
>> I'm talking about maintenance religiously conducted according to
>> manufacturer's recommendations, no more, no less. If you follow the books
>> to the letter, Honda requires more upkeep than Nissan does.

> And the end result is that Hondas experience less non-routine problems than
> Nissans do.

I really haven't seen that result on the ones I've directly experienced.
Given my limited experiences (6 Hondas and 6 Nissans over about 18 years), I
have to say the vote goes in the other direction.

The only non-routine problems I've treated on Nissans have been the
occasional engine compartment electrical connector that needed
cleaning/reseating (plagues the '02 Pathfinder) and periodic throttle body
cleaning ('91 240sx and '96 I30).

With the Hondas, we've had ABS systems fail on two out of two mid 90's cars
('95 Integra & '96 Odyssey) and one transmission failure ('00 TL). These
cars were well maintained with brake fluid changes and transmission fluid
changes according to the published schedules. Clearly design flaws. Honda
made good on the transmission, but they never owned up to the ABS problems
on those cars.

Old March 5th 07, 01:51 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

E Meyer wrote:

> The only non-routine problems I've treated on Nissans have been the
> occasional engine compartment electrical connector that needed
> cleaning/reseating (plagues the '02 Pathfinder) and periodic throttle body
> cleaning ('91 240sx and '96 I30).

It's the newer Nissans that are crap. Older Nissans were much more solid.
A friend of mine put over 200,000 miles on a '90 NX with little trouble.
Old March 5th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Old March 5th 07, 01:40 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael Pardee

"High Tech Misfit" > wrote in message
>E Meyer wrote:
>
>> The only non-routine problems I've treated on Nissans have been the
>> occasional engine compartment electrical connector that needed
>> cleaning/reseating (plagues the '02 Pathfinder) and periodic throttle
>> body
>> cleaning ('91 240sx and '96 I30).

> It's the newer Nissans that are crap. Older Nissans were much more solid.
> A friend of mine put over 200,000 miles on a '90 NX with little trouble.

One of the most troublesome cars I've ever had was an '85 300ZX. There were
problems related to poor maintenance, especially the use of straight water
in the cooling system (I violated my rules for used car standards because I
lusted after the car). But the real killer was in the electrical system. At
17 years and 150K miles it was developing new intermittents faster than I
could track them down. A few years before, an intermittent connector on the
ignition coil caused it to die half a dozen times a day for two months. The
first month it didn't even stay dead a minute at a time... very frustrating.

Mike

Old March 5th 07, 06:21 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 1, 8:55 am, Doug B > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, "DodgeDriver" > wrote:
> >> We are in the USA. Granddaughter is looking to buy her first car. She is
> >> talking Honda Civic. Don't know why, but she believes that is what she
> >> wants. She will have about $5,000 (US) to spend. I lean toward something
> >> not more than 5 years old. Haven't started looking but thought I would ask
> >> this group for opinions a Civic. Are all Civics created equal or are
> >> there certain models/years to stay away from?

> >> Thanks for any help.

> > For $5k I'd buy an american over a jap car anyday.

> Your bias is evident in your use of an ethnic slur in your reply, making
> your opinion even more worthless than most.

Whatever. I owned three japanese
cars and one american. I like my japanese cars. But I have
to give it to the americans that the car was
1. rattle free
2. did not need any major repairs
3. pulled like a locomotive

All three of my jap cars rattle. All three came with wimpy engines and
one out of three was a total disaster maintenance
wise. So you opinion be as it may I should say that
there is a lot of things to like japanese econoboxes
for, but reliability is not one of them for sure.

Old March 6th 07, 02:16 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Robert[_4_]

What were the three Japanese cars and what was the American car? Are
the Japs even Hondas? Or are we comparing 80s Civics to an '07
Cadillac or Lincoln?

Old March 6th 07, 04:56 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
JXStern

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:17:00 -0500, "DodgeDriver"
> wrote:

>We are in the USA. Granddaughter is looking to buy her first car. She is
>talking Honda Civic. Don't know why, but she believes that is what she
>wants. She will have about $5,000 (US) to spend. I lean toward something
>not more than 5 years old. Haven't started looking but thought I would ask
>this group for opinions a Civic. Are all Civics created equal or are
>there certain models/years to stay away from?
>
>Thanks for any help.

Five grand might be enough to lease a base model *new* Civic for three
years, full warranty coverage. Or maybe lease a three year old Civic
from a dealer for three years, fancy model.

J.