98 honda civic question

Old March 3rd 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 98 honda civic question

I am hoping to see if I can get any insight into the problems that
have been having with my Honda. At this point even the shop foreman at
the dealership is stumped.

I have been having problems getting the car stared. The engine turns
over but it does not kick in. This happens only occasionally but I
have had it into the shop 6 times now.

First time: I thought it was the battery so I jump started my car and
drove it to my dealership. They found nothing wring.

Second time: One week later (exactly) same problem, engine turning
over but not kicking in. Got it jump started and took it to the
dealership. This time they found that the battery was not working, and
as it was still under warranty hey replaced it.

Third time: Exactly one week later, same problem. I got the car jump
started and drove it into the dealership. They kept it for a week and
it would not reenact the problem. So this time I took it home, and the
guy at the dealership asked me to call him if it happened again and he
would send a mechanic out to my house.

Fourth time: About three weeks later, same problem (and all if these
times the lights, radio, etc are working - so it's not the battery) I
call the guy at the dealership and he comes to my house to look at my
car. He checks the battery and then sees that it is the igniter. There
was not spark being sent from the igniter.

Fifth time: Two weeks later, same problem. Take it in and they
replaced some of the wiring. I went to pick it up the next day. I give
my paper work to the guy who goes to get my car for me, and he comes
back without my car and a very frustrated look on his face. Guess
what, my car was not starting.

So now the dealership kept the car, has been running all sorts of
tests on it, and can find nothing wrong. AND except for that one time
- the car has been starting up fine for them. They cannot get the car
to re-enact the problem.

I have never heard of Hondas doing this or having such bizarre
problems. My dealership even called Honda headquarters and talked to
some of the head mechanics and they are stumped.

Any ideas? Anyone ever experience similar problems?

Old March 3rd 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

wrote:
> I am hoping to see if I can get any insight into the problems that
> have been having with my Honda. At this point even the shop foreman at
> the dealership is stumped.
>
> I have been having problems getting the car stared. The engine turns
> over but it does not kick in. This happens only occasionally but I
> have had it into the shop 6 times now.
>
> First time: I thought it was the battery so I jump started my car and
> drove it to my dealership. They found nothing wring.
>
> Second time: One week later (exactly) same problem, engine turning
> over but not kicking in. Got it jump started and took it to the
> dealership. This time they found that the battery was not working, and
> as it was still under warranty hey replaced it.
>
> Third time: Exactly one week later, same problem. I got the car jump
> started and drove it into the dealership. They kept it for a week and
> it would not reenact the problem. So this time I took it home, and the
> guy at the dealership asked me to call him if it happened again and he
> would send a mechanic out to my house.
>
> Fourth time: About three weeks later, same problem (and all if these
> times the lights, radio, etc are working - so it's not the battery) I
> call the guy at the dealership and he comes to my house to look at my
> car. He checks the battery and then sees that it is the igniter. There
> was not spark being sent from the igniter.
>
> Fifth time: Two weeks later, same problem. Take it in and they
> replaced some of the wiring. I went to pick it up the next day. I give
> my paper work to the guy who goes to get my car for me, and he comes
> back without my car and a very frustrated look on his face. Guess
> what, my car was not starting.
>
> So now the dealership kept the car, has been running all sorts of
> tests on it, and can find nothing wrong. AND except for that one time
> - the car has been starting up fine for them. They cannot get the car
> to re-enact the problem.
>
> I have never heard of Hondas doing this or having such bizarre
> problems. My dealership even called Honda headquarters and talked to
> some of the head mechanics and they are stumped.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone ever experience similar problems?

=====================================

1_ Does this (always) happen after the car has sat overnight, or at
least 8 hours?
2_ Is it usually Monday MORNING?
3_ Was your ignition switch replaced during the campain a few years back?
4_ Do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds each time you turn
the key to position II?
5_ Has the dealer ever asked you whether you have used injector cleaner?
6_ What's the approximate mileage.

'Curly'

Old March 3rd 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> I am hoping to see if I can get any insight into the problems that
> have been having with my Honda. At this point even the shop foreman at
> the dealership is stumped.
>
> I have been having problems getting the car stared. The engine turns
> over but it does not kick in. This happens only occasionally but I
> have had it into the shop 6 times now.
>
> First time: I thought it was the battery so I jump started my car and
> drove it to my dealership. They found nothing wring.
>
> Second time: One week later (exactly) same problem, engine turning
> over but not kicking in. Got it jump started and took it to the
> dealership. This time they found that the battery was not working, and
> as it was still under warranty hey replaced it.
>
> Third time: Exactly one week later, same problem. I got the car jump
> started and drove it into the dealership. They kept it for a week and
> it would not reenact the problem. So this time I took it home, and the
> guy at the dealership asked me to call him if it happened again and he
> would send a mechanic out to my house.
>
> Fourth time: About three weeks later, same problem (and all if these
> times the lights, radio, etc are working - so it's not the battery) I
> call the guy at the dealership and he comes to my house to look at my
> car. He checks the battery and then sees that it is the igniter. There
> was not spark being sent from the igniter.
>
> Fifth time: Two weeks later, same problem. Take it in and they
> replaced some of the wiring. I went to pick it up the next day. I give
> my paper work to the guy who goes to get my car for me, and he comes
> back without my car and a very frustrated look on his face. Guess
> what, my car was not starting.
>
> So now the dealership kept the car, has been running all sorts of
> tests on it, and can find nothing wrong. AND except for that one time
> - the car has been starting up fine for them. They cannot get the car
> to re-enact the problem.
>
> I have never heard of Hondas doing this or having such bizarre
> problems. My dealership even called Honda headquarters and talked to
> some of the head mechanics and they are stumped.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone ever experience similar problems?

check the main relay. go to tegger.com for details.

Honda Civic Tire question lglm Honda 8 April 4th 06 08:36 AM
2000 HONDA CIVIC QUESTION Subhabrata Bhattacharyya Honda 6 April 8th 05 06:15 PM
Honda Civic question Subhabrata Bhattacharyya Honda 11 March 19th 05 07:01 PM
1997 Honda Civic question darien7684 Honda 30 February 2nd 05 02:45 AM
1997 Honda Civic question darien7684 Honda 14 December 10th 04 10:58 PM