1995 A6 Gamma Radio locked in SAFE mode.

Old May 8th 08, 02:25 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Andre[_2_]

Default 1995 A6 Gamma Radio locked in SAFE mode.

Hi,

I have the code and the instructions on how to unlock my radio in 1995
A6. The code does not work. My code starts with "0", yet I cannot
make the first digit a "0", only "1" or blank. Could this be the
problem?

Andre
Old May 9th 08, 03:30 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

AFAIK
blank = "0" for the first position/digit
;-)

Old May 13th 08, 06:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Andre[_2_]

On May 8, 10:30 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> AFAIK
> blank = "0" for the first position/digit
> ;-)
>
> "Andre" > wrote in message

> > Hi,

> > I have the code and the instructions on how to unlock my radio in 1995
> > A6. The code does not work. My code starts with "0", yet I cannot
> > make the first digit a "0", only "1" or blank. Could this be the
> > problem?

> > Andre

I guess the radion must have been replaced by the previuos owner
because the code that's specified in the radio's manual does not
work. The manual which came with the car seems to match the radio
exactly.

Andre
Old May 14th 08, 03:39 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

So the code can not be entered?
Maybe the dealer can get you the code if you get the serial # off the radio.

Old May 15th 08, 07:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On May 13, 7:39*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> So the code can not be entered?
> Maybe the dealer can get you the code if you get the serial # off the radio.

Not unless you pay for it. Oh, and the serial number on the radio
must match the VIN.

I suppose that if you personally knew someone at the dealer, you could
get somewhere without those restrictions.

But trying to get a free code out of the dealers nowadays is close to
impossible.

E.P.
Old May 19th 08, 05:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Andre[_2_]

On May 15, 2:43 pm, Ed Pirrero > wrote:
> On May 13, 7:39 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> wrote:
>
> > So the code can not be entered?
> > Maybe the dealer can get you the code if you get the serial # off the radio.

> Not unless you pay for it. Oh, and the serial number on the radio
> must match the VIN.
>
> I suppose that if you personally knew someone at the dealer, you could
> get somewhere without those restrictions.
>
> But trying to get a free code out of the dealers nowadays is close to
> impossible.
>
> E.P.

I have called the dealer and asked. I was told that they would have
to do a "scan" and that the charge would be at least one work-hour
($110).

What I have to do is to remove the radio and verify that the Radio
serial number matches that in the radio manual. I have no reason to
believe that the radio was ever replace but I have no way to know for
sure. I am also trying to contact the previous owner.

Andre
Old May 19th 08, 06:10 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On May 19, 9:57*am, Andre > wrote:
> On May 15, 2:43 pm, Ed Pirrero > wrote:
>

> > On May 13, 7:39 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> > wrote:

> > > So the code can not be entered?
> > > Maybe the dealer can get you the code if you get the serial # off the radio.

> > Not unless you pay for it. *Oh, and the serial number on the radio
> > must match the VIN.

> > I suppose that if you personally knew someone at the dealer, you could
> > get somewhere without those restrictions.

> > But trying to get a free code out of the dealers nowadays is close to
> > impossible.

> > E.P.

> I have called the dealer and asked. *I was told that they would have
> to do a "scan" and that the charge would be at least one work-hour
> ($110).
>
> What I have to do is to remove the radio and verify that the Radio
> serial number matches that in the radio manual. *I have no reason to
> believe that the radio was ever replace but I have no way to know for
> sure. *I am also trying to contact the previous owner.

You may be better off trying to get ahold of a used Gamma that has a
code.

E.P.
Old May 20th 08, 02:35 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Since you do have a code, can you somehow have the code confirmed?
Last year I think one of the VW service personnel "gave" me a code to a
radio free, while another one said that it was not possible without the car
being there. I hope he was not fired after that! :-)
They just want to make some more $$$.
I wonder how much they charge to change the batteries in those switchblade
keys. 8^o

Of course it would help if you pulled out the radio and wrote down the
serial #. ;-)
I have even found a couple of radios that had their codes written on them
after I pulled them out.
If you don't have the original radio, maybe someone did that already.
(fingers crossed)

Of course you are entering the code correctly...........right? Some are
different and a little tricky too! <g>
Or is the radio in "SAFE" mode all of the time?

Old June 16th 08, 05:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Andre[_2_]

On May 19, 9:35 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> Since you do have a code, can you somehow have the code confirmed?
> Last year I think one of the VW service personnel "gave" me a code to a
> radio free, while another one said that it was not possible without the car
> being there. I hope he was not fired after that! :-)
> They just want to make some more $$$.
> I wonder how much they charge to change the batteries in those switchblade
> keys. 8^o
>
> Of course it would help if you pulled out the radio and wrote down the
> serial #. ;-)
> I have even found a couple of radios that had their codes written on them
> after I pulled them out.
> If you don't have the original radio, maybe someone did that already.
> (fingers crossed)
>
> Of course you are entering the code correctly...........right? Some are
> different and a little tricky too! <g>
> Or is the radio in "SAFE" mode all of the time?
>
> "Andre" > wrote in message

> > On May 15, 2:43 pm, Ed Pirrero > wrote:

> >> Not unless you pay for it. Oh, and the serial number on the radio
> >> must match the VIN.

> >> I suppose that if you personally knew someone at the dealer, you could
> >> get somewhere without those restrictions.

> >> But trying to get a free code out of the dealers nowadays is close to
> >> impossible.

> >> E.P.

> > I have called the dealer and asked. I was told that they would have
> > to do a "scan" and that the charge would be at least one work-hour
> > ($110).

> > What I have to do is to remove the radio and verify that the Radio
> > serial number matches that in the radio manual. I have no reason to
> > believe that the radio was ever replace but I have no way to know for
> > sure. I am also trying to contact the previous owner.

> > Andre

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your comments. What did you mean by asking "Or is the
radio in "SAFE" mode all of the time?".

Thank radio has worked fine since I bought the car about 2 years ago.
The safe code came out after I disconnected the battery and it's been
there since then.

Andre
Old June 17th 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

"Andre" > wrote in message

> Hi Dave,
> Thank you for your comments. What did you mean by asking "Or is the
> radio in "SAFE" mode all of the time?".
>
> Thank radio has worked fine since I bought the car about 2 years ago.
> The safe code came out after I disconnected the battery and it's been
> there since then.
>
> Andre

Good that the radio has worked recently.........NOW
You must be able to set the radio up to accept the code. It will not accept
the code otherwise.
Just making sure that we are on the same page. ;-)
Do you know the procedure for entering the code and getting the radio out of
Safe mode?
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/5580.phtml
But I think that you already know how! ;-)

later,
One out of many daves

Radio in Safe Mode Jack[_3_] Audi 1 November 13th 06 03:47 AM
Help. Radio in Safe Mode. opunarms VW water cooled 3 November 30th 05 05:52 PM
REALLY safe mode radio starburst VW water cooled 5 January 31st 05 10:47 PM
radio in SAfe mode.. DFRee VW water cooled 3 October 18th 04 03:05 PM
radio is on safe mode bofromtherock Audi 2 May 15th 04 01:33 AM