replace wheel bearing Jeep TJ 2000?

Old August 6th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nick Hughes

Default replace wheel bearing Jeep TJ 2000?

Hi Folks,

Now that I just completed replacement of a water pump and thermostate,
it appears my rear passanger wheel bearing might be going. I'm
experiencing a squeaking sound after a bit of driving. It doesn't
sound like the rear brakes. It's a metal against metal "screeching"
sound, therefore I suspect a bearing.

The jeep has about 145k miles on it and no bearings have been
replaced.

Has anyone completed this procedure? Any suggestions for completing
the job?

Thanks alot,
Nick

Old August 7th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jbjeep

If I recall correctly, you will need a 36mm socket for the "center hub nut". I am
sure if I have my measurement wrong someone will correct me quickly.
-jenn

Old August 7th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
97tjMike

36mm is correct, at least on the front hub. Just did mine last week. I
rented it for free from Advance Auto Parts.

Old August 7th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nick Hughes

Thanks. Did you need an impact wrench to get the nut free or just use
a breaker? I have a 1/2" impact wrench and not sure if I should get
eh 36mm socket for it.

Old August 8th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

You should be a lot more concerned with getting the hub free of the
steering knuckle than getting the nut off. You can actually pull the hub
and axle as a unit, take the axle off the hub later but it's easier to
do it in the logical order (more things to brace against!)

Old August 8th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

Your bad, my bad. The OP said REAR wheel bearing.

Old August 8th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Herb Leong

In article . com>,
Nick Hughes > wrote:
#Hi Folks,
#
#Now that I just completed replacement of a water pump and thermostate,
#it appears my rear passanger wheel bearing might be going. I'm
#experiencing a squeaking sound after a bit of driving. It doesn't
#sound like the rear brakes. It's a metal against metal "screeching"
#sound, therefore I suspect a bearing.
#
#The jeep has about 145k miles on it and no bearings have been
#replaced.
#
#Has anyone completed this procedure? Any suggestions for completing
#the job?
#
#Thanks alot,
#Nick

What do you have for your rear diff? Dana 35c? Dana 44?

The D35c:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d35/d35-1.htm
(the c is for custom, not c-clip)

The D44:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d44/d44-1.htm
I used a 12-ton shop press. Looking back, I should have gotten a 20-ton
press. Then I could have done the "Special Service Tool" trick.

And if you don't like cutting with a drill and dremel, make a "Special
Service Tool" for your press:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/

I strongly suggest that you replace the seals along with the bearings
since you have it out already. Also, I would pack the new bearing
with some grease since it may take some time for diff lube to make
it to the bearing.

Someone recommended using RTV rubber around the edge of the oil seal.
Dunno if it would help or hurt or not.

Lastly, are you sure it is the bearing? It's a lot of work just to
find out you still have the noise when you are done!

Good luck!

/herb
Old August 8th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
97tjMike

I used an impact wrench. It's a lot easier because otherwise you just
end up spinning the whole shaft with a breaker bar. I suppose on the
rear you could set the e-brake though.

Old August 10th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Ivan Jager

I used a breaker bar, while the wheel was on the ground, and
had no trouble at all.

Carrier bearing replace N9NEO Chrysler 0 May 19th 07 09:52 PM
Rear Wheel Bearing Scott Hughes Mazda 4 June 7th 06 01:01 AM
AWA [OFFER] OEM WHEEL HUB BEARING [email protected] General 0 April 4th 06 01:53 PM
Bearing Races Question and Wheel Bearing Pack Question Kevin Holzer VW air cooled 3 June 11th 05 05:51 AM
WHEEL BEARING FOR1196D 4x4 8 April 3rd 04 03:37 PM