Oil Shortage?

Old September 28th 05, 05:14 PM
Brimstone

Default Oil Shortage?

This Should explain it all...

A lot of people can't understand how the USA came to have an oil shortage.

Well, there's a very simple answer.

Nobody bothered to check the oil.

They just didn't know they were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical.

The oil is located in
Alaska
California
Coastal Florida
Coastal Louisiana
Kansas
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
and
Texas

The dipsticks are in Washington DC

Old September 28th 05, 05:42 PM
Silk

Brimstone wrote:

> The dipsticks are in Washington DC

IMO, they already know oil is fast running out. They are just using lack
of refining capacity as an excuse in order to stop panic buying.
Old September 28th 05, 06:51 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Silk > wrote:
> > The dipsticks are in Washington DC
> >

> IMO, they already know oil is fast running out.

No it's not. Well, not in the lifetime of anyone reading this.

> They are just using lack
> of refining capacity as an excuse in order to stop panic buying.

Tell me what the point would be in buying a tank of fuel for your car now
if you couldn't tomorrow or ever again?

'Shortages' are caused by those who normally work from the bottom of the
tank - ie putting in a tenner's worth at a time - suddenly wanting to fill
up. All filling stations work on the 'just in time' principle. Margins are
so low on fuel this is the only way that makes sense.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 28th 05, 07:35 PM
Dave D

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Silk > wrote:
>> > The dipsticks are in Washington DC
>> >

>> IMO, they already know oil is fast running out.

> No it's not. Well, not in the lifetime of anyone reading this.

Quite. Allegedly the UK is sitting on large oilfields around the Falklands,
and there are supposed to be large supplies at the poles, amongst other
places. High cost has always been cited as a reason not to drill in various
areas, but perhaps they simply want to keep the untapped oilfields for a
'rainy day'!

Dave

Old September 29th 05, 12:24 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Pete Smith > wrote:
> Now, this does *not* mean we can bury our heads in the sand. Far from
> it. I think crude oil could be used for much better things than
> transport, which is why I'm glad to see more car manufacturers using
> Hybrid (Honda & Toyota), or purely electric (that electric Evo).

Hybrid cars don't necessarily save oil energy. The Autocar road test of
the Prius found it did 23 mpg overall which is pathetic for a car of this
size/performance. Of course the makers quote the best possible town
consumption. And the government figures aren't designed for hybrids.

And a pure electric car will use electricity from the mains. In the UK
generated from fossil fuels. And the energy transfer to the batteries is
poor, efficiency wise.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Old September 29th 05, 02:39 AM
nightjar

"Silk" > wrote in message
> IMO, they already know oil is fast running out.

Except that the annual discovery of new oil reserves generally exceeds the
annual growth in the use of oil.

Colin Bignell

Old September 29th 05, 06:38 AM
Tosspot

http://www.oilandgasinternational.co...scoveries.aspx
Old September 29th 05, 01:24 PM
Ian Johnston

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:39:40 UTC, "nightjar" <nightjar@<insert my
surname here>.uk.com> wrote:

: Except that the annual discovery of new oil reserves generally exceeds the
: annual growth in the use of oil.

That is certain what has been claimed by OPEC members ever since
production quotas - and therefore incomes, Swiss bank balances and
Jimmy Choo collections - were linked to stated reserves. Some
countries haven't changed their stated reserves in fifteen or twenty
years, desopite heavy extraction and no exploration.

Funny, that. Odd.

Ian
Old September 29th 05, 02:35 PM
Christian McArdle

> At the risk of sounding like a pompous prat (no change there then!), when
> did my Chemistry lessons (pre GCSE, so late 80s), we were using text books
> that were 15 years old (early 70s), and they predicted coal running out in
> 10 years, and oil in 15.

The sooner we run out, the better. The oil price needs to rise much further
to encourage investment in alternative technologies, from wind power to
fusion. The more oil we extract before this, the worse state the planet will
be in by the time we have developed genuine alternatives.

Christian.

Gas prices... Brent P Driving 12 September 7th 05 01:32 AM
Oil prices got you down? Cherokee-Ltd Jeep 152 August 21st 05 05:08 AM