20% of Chrysler is worth zero dollars

Old October 24th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
hcobb

Default 20% of Chrysler is worth zero dollars

Who can pass up a deal like that?

http://blogs.reuters.com/reuters-dea...-percent-zero/

If what's good for America is good for the big three automakers
then...

-HJC
Old October 25th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

hcobb wrote:

> Who can pass up a deal like that?

I'll tell ya, for those that now own the limited run of 2008 Dodge
Challengers, those cars will be worth a small fortune soon.

Anyone want to place any bets that there won't be a 2009 model year for
the Challenger?
Old October 25th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

09s are on the lots already

Old October 26th 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >, MoPar Man >
wrote:

> hcobb wrote:
>
> > Who can pass up a deal like that?

> I'll tell ya, for those that now own the limited run of 2008 Dodge
> Challengers, those cars will be worth a small fortune soon.
>
> Anyone want to place any bets that there won't be a 2009 model year for
> the Challenger?

I'm placing my bets on my last year of the great 300M- 2004.
Actually I'm betting I can get 10 more years out of it, even if Chrysler
is pushed aside.
It's a sad time in the auto world, when a great vehicle company like
Chrysler bites the dust.
I'll bet they wish the name Daimler was never heard inside Chrysler.
Old October 26th 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

i love the stupid quote from Dr. Z last year. "we tried to improve the
quality in Chrysler products but the American people are unwilling to pay
for it".

no, i wanted a Chrysler not a Mercedes...but he didn't seem to get that.

Old October 26th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

rob wrote:

> i love the stupid quote from Dr. Z last year. "we tried to improve
> the quality in Chrysler products but the American people are
> unwilling to pay for it".

This coming from Daimler who had huge quality issues with their E class
during the years they owned Chrysler.

Dr. Z's idea of improving Chrysler cars was stuffing them with Mercedes
parts, and then wondering why the end result cost so much when the Euro
was at an all time high vs the USD.

Chrysler was raped by their own exec's when they arranged to have
Daimler buy them. They got their golden parachutes for it. I'm glad
that (on paper) Daimler eventually got financially screwed over by the
deal.

The next generation of the 300M (300N) would have taken Chrysler to new
styling and quality heights, but Daimler would have none of that.

I thought I heard a few months ago that some Russian car company was in
talks with Chrysler to buy their LH tooling (assuming they have some of
it left).
Old October 26th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Default Russian automaker buys Chrysler plant (circa 2006)

MoPar Man wrote:

> I thought I heard a few months ago that some Russian car company
> was in talks with Chrysler to buy their LH tooling (assuming they
> have some of it left).

Ok, I was a bit wrong on the details, but this must be what I remember
reading:

----------------------

http://www.allpar.com/world/russia.html

In April 2006, Chrysler announced that Gorky Automotive Works (GAZ), a
Russian automaker, was buying Chrysler's entire Sterling Heights
production line and moving it to Russia, where the Sebring and Stratus
got a new lease on life - under license. It was announced at the time
that 65,000 vehicles would be made each year - well under the plant's
capacity but quite a bit for Russia. GAZ said it would buy Chrysler 2.4
liter engines made in Mexico (the 2.0-liter based ones used in
first-generation PT Cruisers, not the World Engines) for GAZ's vehicles,
in a long-term contract. The Sterling Heights stopped building the “JR”
(second-generation Stratus/Sebring) cars in May 2006, in favor of a
completely new design (*) using Mitsubishi Galant dimensions.

-------------------
(*)
2008-2009 Dodge Avenger production cars (now including European version)
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/avenger.html
-------------------

There was plenty of Russian interest back in 2007 to buy Chrysler
(perhaps or probably in partnership with Magna) before it was aquired by
Cerebus. I wonder if there still is...
Old October 28th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

On Oct 26, 9:28*am, MoPar Man > wrote:
> rob wrote:
> > i love the stupid quote from Dr. Z last year. *"we tried to improve
> > the quality in Chrysler products but the American people are
> > unwilling to pay for it".

I remember Car & Driver saying, "we weren't asking for a C-class at
Accord prices, but how about an Accord at Accord prices?"

> This coming from Daimler who had huge quality issues with their E class
> during the years they owned Chrysler.

But Mercedes is improving (see this month's Consumer Reports and J D
Power rankings) whereas Chrysler continues to worsen in quality.

> Dr. Z's idea of improving Chrysler cars was stuffing them with Mercedes
> parts, and then wondering why the end result cost so much when the Euro
> was at an all time high vs the USD.
>
> Chrysler was raped by their own exec's when they arranged to have
> Daimler buy them. *They got their golden parachutes for it. *I'm glad
> that (on paper) Daimler eventually got financially screwed over by the
> deal.

Their biggest mistake was passing over Lutz for Eaton as chairman.
Lutz understood Europe and understood global economics, and was a
"car" guy.

Old October 28th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Lloyd wrote:

> I remember Car & Driver saying, "we weren't asking for a C-class at
> Accord prices, but how about an Accord at Accord prices?"

That's called an "Avenger." But the unwashed buying public still thinks
an Accord is somehow better.

>> This coming from Daimler who had huge quality issues with their E class
>> during the years they owned Chrysler.

> But Mercedes is improving (see this month's Consumer Reports and J D
> Power rankings) whereas Chrysler continues to worsen in quality.

Of course- they took everything worth taking from Chrysler and spat out
the remnants. GM would do even worse- they'd use the cash to prop
themselves up for another year, then *they'd* implode.

Chrysler would do best to go forward with their partial alliance with
Nissan, ultimately with a goal of jettisoning the remnants of Renault
and taking full control of Nissan.

Old October 29th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article m>,
"rob" > wrote:

> i love the stupid quote from Dr. Z last year. "we tried to improve the
> quality in Chrysler products but the American people are unwilling to pay
> for it".
>
> no, i wanted a Chrysler not a Mercedes...but he didn't seem to get that.

That was their problem IMO.
They bought Chrysler so they could sell more vehicles of their liking.

Of course it also was nice they could share parts with Chryslers large
volume, lowering their parts cost.