20% of Chrysler is worth zero dollars

Old October 29th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

Default 20% of Chrysler is worth zero dollars

In article >, MoPar Man >
wrote:

> I thought I heard a few months ago that some Russian car company was in
> talks with Chrysler to buy their LH tooling (assuming they have some of
> it left).

Nope, I'm not interested in a Russian import.

They can have the Sebring, both the one they already have and the
current one.
Old October 29th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> Chrysler would do best to go forward with their partial alliance with
> Nissan, ultimately with a goal of jettisoning the remnants of Renault
> and taking full control of Nissan.

If only it was a decision of Chrysler's management.
Unfortunately it will be a bean counter decision by Cerberus.
Old October 29th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

On Oct 28, 4:14*pm, Steve > wrote:
> Lloyd wrote:
>
> > I remember Car & Driver saying, "we weren't asking for a C-class at
> > Accord prices, but how about an Accord at Accord prices?"

> That's called an "Avenger." But the unwashed buying public still thinks
> an Accord is somehow better.

Yeah. The Avenger doesn't ride as well, handle as well, accelerate as
well, get as good gas mileage, have as much room, have the resale
value, have the reliability, or have the quality. Except for all
that, it's equal.

> >> This coming from Daimler who had huge quality issues with their E class
> >> during the years they owned Chrysler.

> > But Mercedes is improving (see this month's Consumer Reports and J D
> > Power rankings) whereas Chrysler continues to worsen in quality.

> Of course- they took everything worth taking from Chrysler and spat out
> the remnants.

So exactly what does Mercedes have "from Chrysler" now? Be specific.

Old October 29th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

Claiming that Merc "took everything worth taking" is rather jaundiced...

Many voices in Germany were against the takeover of Chrysler, saying it
would adversely affect the car and the brand. A number of Merc models did
have serious problems (confirmed by my local Merc garage in west London, UK)
but NOT all. One or two of them were manufactured abroad -- e.g. South
Africa, USA -- and the problems have been identified. By the time top
management publicly admitted to quality problems they were well on the way
to being solved.

For example, a current A-Class is a fine vehicle, whereas early ones are
not. The CLK never had any problems. The B-Class was fine from the
beginning. Etc etc.

Daimler Benz management decided to buy Chrysler for several reasons, not all
being sensible. One story that did the rounds was that the 'merger' allowed
the new company to be listed on the NYSE as a US company, giving the top
executives the ability to claim huge salary increases to bring them in line
with the execs of other US companies.

In the past DB had embarked on other stupid ventures that were good for the
egos of the managers, such as buying AEG, a large bankrupt white-goods
company (fridges and other domestic goods) and getting into aerospace. Lost
millions.

Maybe now they will concentrate on what they are good at: cars, lorries and
buses.

DAS

---
"Steve" > wrote in message

[...]

Old October 31st 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Lloyd wrote:
> On Oct 28, 4:14 pm, Steve > wrote:
>> Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>> I remember Car & Driver saying, "we weren't asking for a C-class at
>>> Accord prices, but how about an Accord at Accord prices?"

>> That's called an "Avenger." But the unwashed buying public still thinks
>> an Accord is somehow better.

> Yeah. The Avenger doesn't ride as well,

Subjective, and I disagree.

handle as well,

Subjective, and I disagree.

>accelerate as
> well,

Objective, and the 3.5L Avenger R/T will blow any Accord off the road if
speed is what you want.

get as good gas mileage, have as much room,

Maybe, but its very close on both.

have the resale value,

Not why I buy a car. I keep cars 15+ years, on average.
have the reliability,

Yeah, Sure.